MG4 Car Cover

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Can anyone recommend a car cover for use with the MG4? I'm looking for something I can use outside to protect the car from the elements, bird droppings, cats climbing all over it and general fallout. There are plenty of cheap covers around, but I don't want something that will rub through the paint should it not be a perfect fit, in other words a soft inner lining.
I've seen one or two that might fit the bill, but they're priced over £200. One of the only companies listing the MG4 as a supported car is Direct Car Covers, so does anyone have any experience of their product?

Have you tried Halfords or Aliexpress.
Les
Yes, I've looked there Les, but like I say, I want a decent quality one. I've owned a Halfords cover before with my previous car and was not impressed by it's quality. I'm not sure I'd trust the quality of am AliExpress cover without seeing one first, or hearing from someone who has.

Hiya I agree with your post above is difficult to know what your are getting and if you have had a Halfords one before well you know what it was like best suggestion I can think of then is Amazon the good thing with them is you have no issues with returns and refunds I can assure you of that.
Les

Can anyone recommend a car cover for use with the MG4? I'm looking for something I can use outside to protect the car from the elements, bird droppings, cats climbing all over it and general fallout. There are plenty of cheap covers around, but I don't want something that will rub through the paint should it not be a perfect fit, in other words a soft inner lining.
I've seen one or two that might fit the bill, but they're priced over £200. One of the only companies listing the MG4 as a supported car is Direct Car Covers, so does anyone have any experience of their product?

Search “medium car cover“ on Amazon, lots of results Example at £57.96

@Crawfyp I'm tempted by the C9 size version of the one you've highlighted. Just a pity the zip for the door is on the wrong side 🤣
I saw that in the review, annoying. Might be worth messaging seller to see if they do one for when the steering wheel is on the correct side. 😂

Ouch! Yes, just a wee bit more than I'd like to pay!
I've ordered the C9 sized cover here that @Crawfyp found. We'll see if it's any good.
At least with Amazon, if it’s no good then returns are straightforward. Let us know how you get on….

Well, all I can say after purchasing this cover:
Car Cover
is don't waste your money. It's absolutely useless.

It's not a particularly good fit on the MG4 anyway, perhaps a little short, despite it's dimensions indicating that it's supposed to be longer. The pouches meant to accommodate the mirrors don't, if the mirrors are retracted in the locked position.

The main problem with it is that despite having undercar straps at the front and back, there's nothing holding it down between them which means that with anything more than a breath of wind (such as today!), the whole darn thing inflates like a balloon and rotates itself off the car.

Repacking it and returning as not fit for purpose - so, still looking!

Car covers are a pain. They are ok I suppose if you leave the car for a period of time and want to protect it, but if you use the car regularly you soon tire of the continuous wrapping/unwrapping.
No matter how good they, can still get blown around in windy weather and hold condensation inside.
The paint on modern cars is fine to be left outdoors. Yes, if you get bird droppings and other items that might cause damage, then wash it off as soon as you can. You can also wax your paintwork if you don’t mind doing this sort of thing for a bit if added protection.
If you are really intent on a cover then the fold over type are far better if you have the space and the money! But even these can be a pain…

Car covers are a pain. They are ok I suppose if you leave the car for a period of time and want to protect it, but if you use the car regularly you soon tire of the continuous wrapping/unwrapping.
No matter how good they, can still get blown around in windy weather and hold condensation inside.
The paint on modern cars is fine to be left outdoors. Yes, if you get bird droppings and other items that might cause damage, then wash it off as soon as you can. You can also wax your paintwork if you don’t mind doing this sort of thing for a bit if added protection.
If you are really intent on a cover then the fold over type are far better if you have the space and the money! But even these can be a pain…
I wish I had room for something a little more substantial, but I only have a hard standing that is plenty wide enough, but only just long enough.
I do have a garage, but as it was built using car dimensions from the 50s (even though it was actually built in the 70s), anything wider than an A35 won't fit in it! Even my son's original mini didn't have room to open a door to get out!!
I'm currently only using the car a couple of times a week, and we do have a horrendous seagull problem around here, hence the desire for some form of cover.

I wish I had room for something a little more substantial, but I only have a hard standing that is plenty wide enough, but only just long enough.
I do have a garage, but as it was built using car dimensions from the 50s (even though it was actually built in the 70s), anything wider than an A35 won't fit in it! Even my son's original mini didn't have room to open a door to get out!!
I'm currently only using the car a couple of times a week, and we do have a horrendous seagull problem around here, hence the desire for some form of cover.
Yes - if you are in the target zone the droppings can be a huge issue.
Most modern built household garages are not really big enough for modern cars!
A car canopy might be an option?

That could be an option, although I'd have to discuss it with my next door neighbour, as the supports would have to be right down the centre of our shared hard standing, and that area is sometimes useful for a visitor's car.
Food for thought though, thanks!

One with solar panels for the roof.
Hehe, apart from needing a mortgage for the cost of connecting it to our existing solar setup, there's the not insignificant issue that the hardstanding area is on the North side of the house and is in permanent shade! :(

Hehe, apart from needing a mortgage for the cost of connecting it to our existing solar setup, there's the not insignificant issue that the hardstanding area is on the North side of the house and is in permanent shade! :(
Even if it wasn’t in shade - Don’t forget the bird droppings! Out of interest how do you deal with droppings on your existing solar setup?

Even if it wasn’t in shade - Don’t forget the bird droppings! Out of interest how do you deal with droppings on your existing solar setup?
Luckily, the material the panels are made from seems to resist the droppings sticking so next time it rains, they self clean. We haven't yet experienced what happens in a long, hot dry spell but the gulls aren't so much of a problem then. They usually congregate above our area in bad weather or spring.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back