MG4 coming 2 days time

Gazzagaz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
As im totally new to EV, i apologise if this seems trival, but love to know the answers to my questions. Will be waiting a few weeks for home charger so will need public charging points
1 if you use a 22kw charger on a type 2 connector, will the car allow a higher and quicker charge than a 7kw connector?
2 Is a 50kw rapid charger need a DC connector?
3 Will octopus GO allow MG4 to go on there tariff? They say only certain makes are only compatible, unless you have a OHME charger.
Thanks in advance

1: Only if you use a 3 phase type 2 lead then you will get 11kw (On a Long Range or Throphy) Not SR Car.

2: Anything over 11Kw needs a DC Connector

3: On GO Yes you are fine with any charger...., on Intelligent you need a Ohme Pro Charger with the MG4 for the tariff but on Go just the MG4 is fine,

1: Only if you use a 3 phase type 2 lead then you will get 11kw (On a Long Range or Throphy) Not SR Car.

2: Anything over 11Kw needs a DC Connector

3: On GO Yes you are fine with any charger...., on Intelligent you need a Ohme Pro Charger with the MG4 for the tariff but on Go just the MG4 is fine,
Thanks, one other question, ive been advised to only charge up to 80% to preserve the life span of the battery, is that correct?

Thanks, one other question, ive been advised to only charge up to 80% to preserve the life span of the battery, is that correct?

There are some people that do and some that dont, Personally after having had 10 Evs and 300k EV miles I dont bother. I charge to 100% every night (Unless I am not going to use the car the next day)

I would not charge to 100% if its going to sit a while before use, but on normal days fill it and use it.

Our Hyundai Kona was still showing 100% Battery Health after 18 Months and 77k Miles being charged every day to 100% and rapid charged almost daily.

If you are low mileage driver and dont need the 100% then charging to 80% with the odd 100% balance charge id fine if it suits you, otherwise use it and abuse it. It guaranteed for 7 years which will most likely be longer than you own it.

Its a bit like the old ICE thing dont use the last 10% of the petrol in your tank you you will suck the muck out (Thats what the fuel filter is for).. Same with an EV thats what the BMS is for.

Hi, on a rapid charger the charge rate drops over 80% so it's quicker to charge twice for a shorter period.
Do you know what battery chemistry you have if so use the search bar to see different views on the 20-80% method.

Last edited:
There are some people that do and some that dont, Personally after having had 10 Evs and 300k EV miles I dont bother. I charge to 100% every night (Unless I am not going to use the car the next day)

I would not charge to 100% if its going to sit a while before use, but on normal days fill it and use it.

Our Hyundai Kona was still showing 100% Battery Health after 18 Months and 77k Miles being charged every day to 100% and rapid charged almost daily.

If you are low mileage driver and dont need the 100% then charging to 80% with the odd 100% balance charge id fine if it suits you, otherwise use it and abuse it. It guaranteed for 7 years which will most likely be longer than you own it.

Its a bit like the old ICE thing dont use the last 10% of the petrol in your tank you you will suck the muck out (Thats what the fuel filter is for).. Same with an EV thats what the BMS is for.
Thank you

Hi, on a rapid charger the charge rate drops over 80% so it's quicker to charge twice for a shorter period.
Di you know what battery chemistry you have if so use the search bar to see different views on the 20-80% method.
I dont, its a MG4 SE not long range 52kw

As im totally new to EV, i apologise if this seems trival, but love to know the answers to my questions. Will be waiting a few weeks for home charger so will need public charging points
1 if you use a 22kw charger on a type 2 connector, will the car allow a higher and quicker charge than a 7kw connector?
3 Will octopus GO allow MG4 to go on there tariff? They say only certain makes are only compatible, unless you have a OHME charger.
Thanks in advance
You could consider a 'Granny' charger / cable whilst waiting for your wall charger. I'd wait for the car to arrive though just in case it comes with one although my SE came with a type 2. They are a useful standby for visiting and just in case.

Merry Christmas

You could consider a 'Granny' charger / cable whilst waiting for your wall charger. I'd wait for the car to arrive though just in case it comes with one although my SE came with a type 2. They are a useful standby for visiting and just in case.

Merry Christmas
Mines coming with a type 2 charger too. Any one it particular that you can recommend?

Family down in South Devon, notice not many fast chargers around Newton Abbott

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not bought one as yet but if / when then I have my eye on this one, there may be other recommendations from experience in these pages.

Newton Abbot from where you are, I'd recommend Mollies Diner J17 M5 and Exeter Moto services J30 and you'll arrive with a good surplus. Two excellent fast charging sites.

Good luck and enjoy ;)

Thanks in advance
I have a Wallbox EV charger to charge my MG4 Trophy at home, and I am with Octopus. I use Octopus GO Faster Tariff as it gives you 5 hours @8.5p per kW from 2130. Octopus GO only gives you 4 hours cheap rate from 0030. My home charger charges around 7.5kWh so I get around 40kWh of charge over night. 3/4% of my battery. Unless I travel a long distance I always charge to 80% only, to maintain a healthier battery condition, as recommended by the battery professionals.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back