MG4 DC Charging Issue

tttunci

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello, I have just taken the delivery of my brand new MG4 3 days ago. The charger at my home is not installed yet and I am bound to use the public chargers. 2 days ago I went to a charging station and tried DC charging with CCS connector. I had no luck to start the charging process. Since then I have tried with 4 different brands of chargers and none of them started charging. In the car screen it says Connected - not charging. In the AC charging stations I was able to start the charge (slow charging). However I just dont have the time to leave my car at an AC charging point for more than 6 hours.

I have checked the forum for related cases and noticed some people saying you need to shut the car down, keep the doors closed and even lock the car to get the DC charging to work. Unfortunately none of these seem to work for me. Any suggestions for me to follow. Since my car is brand new I am hoping its not a software or hardware problem and its just me missing a step to begin the charging.

What would you guys suggest me to try?

Cheers,

It can take a few moments for the car and charger to do their electronic handshake before the charge starts so if you've tried different charging points and it's still not working you'll need to have a word with your dealer as I believe there is a software update for this problem.

I am having exactly the same lack of Rapid charging experience, on a car delivered in May 2023. Less 500 miles tried everything suggested with no luck. Earliest the dealer can book the car in is 7 September. Tried other dealers they are quoting October. Seems they have their hands full. One suggested call the AA breakdown they might be able to reset it. Any suggestions from more experienced members greatly appreciated. MG Support advised me to keep trying rapid chargers and other dealers. Can't cope with the smirks from others charging away being entertained as I try to get to it work. Some saying I've heard MG4's have a problem.

Dc Charging.
Hold the plug/connector firmly in place (to ensure good communication connection) until the charger confirms connection. Then if needed (if charging does not start after 1/2 a minute) manualy start charging from the infotainment screen. Usualy does the trick for me.

I mainly charge at home (Trophy) but having just been on a long journey 1000 miles plus i had to rely on fast chargers . All worked first time every time with charging over 120kw on each occasion where applicable. I used Ionity very slow connection , Instavolt spot on 10 seconds or so, Osprey which was by far the easiest experience with the app and pod point at lidls 50 kw easy peasy.
I havent had to shut the vehicle down just plug in and away you go .What did cheese me off was idiots going off for a 4 course meal leaving their vehicles sat at 100 per cent mainly porsche bell ends. Generally a really good experience and the car was by far the best travelling car i have ever owned. Only downside was having a small boot after coming from several Skoda Octavias.

I mainly charge at home (Trophy) but having just been on a long journey 1000 miles plus i had to rely on fast chargers . All worked first time every time with charging over 120kw on each occasion where applicable. I used Ionity very slow connection , Instavolt spot on 10 seconds or so, Osprey which was by far the easiest experience with the app and pod point at lidls 50 kw easy peasy.
I havent had to shut the vehicle down just plug in and away you go .What did cheese me off was idiots going off for a 4 course meal leaving their vehicles sat at 100 per cent mainly porsche bell ends. Generally a really good experience and the car was by far the best travelling car i have ever owned. Only downside was having a small boot after coming from several Skoda Octavias.
Yes, there need to be fines for people going of a certain percentage, eg 95%, or leaving it plugged in at 100%.

Dc Charging.
Hold the plug/connector firmly in place (to ensure good communication connection) until the charger confirms connection.
That's because the communication wires are in the top pins of the plug and a heavier cable can pull down on the plug so they don't make good contact.

Dc Charging.
Hold the plug/connector firmly in place (to ensure good communication connection) until the charger confirms connection. Then if needed (if charging does not start after 1/2 a minute) manualy start charging from the infotainment screen. Usualy does the trick for me.
I tried this yesterday but unfortunately it did not work in my case.

Also yesterday I took the car to the dealer for service. They said it was the first time they have seen something like this and are now looking into the issue. Once they reach back to me I will post what was the solution if there is any here.

I am having exactly the same lack of Rapid charging experience, on a car delivered in May 2023. Less 500 miles tried everything suggested with no luck. Earliest the dealer can book the car in is 7 September. Tried other dealers they are quoting October. Seems they have their hands full. One suggested call the AA breakdown they might be able to reset it. Any suggestions from more experienced members greatly appreciated. MG Support advised me to keep trying rapid chargers and other dealers. Can't cope with the smirks from others charging away being entertained as I try to get to it work. Some saying I've heard MG4's have a problem.
Call the AA......! 🤬

I took the car to the service and they tried some stuff on it. They were very eager to change some parts on the car so I had to tell them the issue was supposed to be fixed with a software update to the BMS. They tried some things and told me there was a communication error with a part on the car that is supposed to get the charging going. I took the car back just to give it back on Monday. However whatever they did actually solved the issue and I can charge on the CSS chargers now.

Another issue sorted.

I took the car to the service and they tried some stuff on it. They were very eager to change some parts on the car so I had to tell them the issue was supposed to be fixed with a software update to the BMS. They tried some things and told me there was a communication error with a part on the car that is supposed to get the charging going. I took the car back just to give it back on Monday. However whatever they did actually solved the issue and I can charge on the CSS chargers now.

Another issue sorted.
My problem only seems to be with BP so far....
I always get that moment whilst the car is 'communicating" wondering how my day is going to go...🤞🏻

Some also say to try pressing the Start Charging button in the car (or the app) to kick it into life ... I've never had to do this though.
Had to do this on one of the DC rapids I've used, car was showing connected but wouldn't start the charge.

Worked fine when I started the charge on the charger and then selected the touchscreen button.

Hello, I have just taken the delivery of my brand new MG4 3 days ago. The charger at my home is not installed yet and I am bound to use the public chargers. 2 days ago I went to a charging station and tried DC charging with CCS connector. I had no luck to start the charging process. Since then I have tried with 4 different brands of chargers and none of them started charging. In the car screen it says Connected - not charging. In the AC charging stations I was able to start the charge (slow charging). However I just dont have the time to leave my car at an AC charging point for more than 6 hours.

I have checked the forum for related cases and noticed some people saying you need to shut the car down, keep the doors closed and even lock the car to get the DC charging to work. Unfortunately none of these seem to work for me. Any suggestions for me to follow. Since my car is brand new I am hoping its not a software or hardware problem and its just me missing a step to begin the charging.

What would you guys suggest me to try?

Cheers,
Hi I have a similar problem, the charger has been plugged in all night and nothing has happened. I get a message saying charging scheduled - don’t know what that means or how to change it.

Hi I have a similar problem, the charger has been plugged in all night and nothing has happened. I get a message saying charging scheduled - don’t know what that means or how to change it.
Charging Schedule is something different. It is set on the charging settings window. You can set it to avoid electricity pricing tariffs.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back