MG4 Dead !!

May well be. I’ll keep an eye on 12v battery SOC until goes into garage and try to use the car every day so that the 12v keeps getting recharged
That's a good idea. I know I've had phantom drains before and they are so annoying. In my ICE car (Suzuki Sx4) it turned out to be the OBD2 port that was draining things overnight with a Bluetooth Dongle.

If your Infotainment is draining as quickly as that did it could be the HV charge catches it a few times but eventually it just slips too fast.

If you have discharged the main battery down to as low as 3v you have permanently shortened its lifetime.

Typical car batteries are damaged if they go below 10.5v

It’s likely to have lost some capacity now

From the last new battery I bought:
battery.JPG

I personally would not recommend using pliers to turn the key because if it that difficult to turn then you are likely to break the key in the lock. Then you have a major problem. Warm the key, hairdryer, then silicone spray.

I had the same problem with my MG5 managed to use emergency key to get in and looked at the 12v battery checked the terminals and found one a bit loose tightened it and the car immediately came to life and all ok except some warning lights were showing- I took it ti my dealer in Baldock and everything returned to normal on the jouney -the dealer checked it over and all was ok -just a loose terminal

All EV’s should come with the latest technology 12v batteries instead of the old technology that is not suited to EV use and was designed for ICE. A LioN 12v is a step in the right direction.

It's a LION calcium battey according to the label...when I seen the price???

What is calcium battery

A calcium battery is a lead acid battery with a calcium component (around 1%) added to both the positive and negative plates. This works to reduce water loss through gassing in the battery and allows the battery container to be fully sealed and maintenance-free.

It's a LION calcium battey according to the label...when I seen the price???

What is calcium battery

A calcium battery is a lead acid battery with a calcium component (around 1%) added to both the positive and negative plates. This works to reduce water loss through gassing in the battery and allows the battery container to be fully sealed and maintenance-free.
I thought that it was cheap! I just looked at the label as you did!

Yip LION not Li-ion..when I seen the LION picture then the price I thought better read the label fully😆

This is more like it but open your wallet/purse fully and turn it upside down

Or this

Last edited:
I,m surprised they still fit 12v battery's to EV's. My first Ioniq hybrid had one , but the one I have now (2019 model) doesn't. It has a 12v capacitor system instead of a battery. Run's all the 12v systems and charges from the traction battery. Obviously a fraction of the weight as well.

What model is that please? I didn’t know they had completely removed the need for a 12v battery.

I thought it was a 12v lithium system built in alongside the hv battery? Or was that old hat post August 2019?

"The Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid uses a 12 volt lithium-ion battery instead of a 12 volt lead-acid battery. It has a “fail safe” feature in case it is low on charge. A reset button on the dash will connect the HV hybrid battery to DC-DC converter and then recharge the little li-ion 12 volt battery, as long are there aren’t any other problems"

I thought it was a 12v lithium system built in alongside the hv battery? Or was that old hat post August 2019?

"The Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid uses a 12 volt lithium-ion battery instead of a 12 volt lead-acid battery. It has a “fail safe” feature in case it is low on charge. A reset button on the dash will connect the HV hybrid battery to DC-DC converter and then recharge the little li-ion 12 volt battery, as long are there aren’t any other problems"
Yes you're right, I shouldn't have called it a capacitor. I meant to imply that I,m surprised they are still using a lead acid battery instead of the small light weight 12v option.

Just got back from 4 days away and the car is dead- ie won’t respond to App or key fob and whilst I can get to the emergency key I can’t turn it in the lock. Car left with 60% battery. Any ideas what to do now ??
I have just been away for a week. Mg z's ev on very cold drive and it started no problem. However I leave it on trickle 12 volt charge if I am away for 2 weeks as I have had a problem in the past

Last edited by a moderator:
I go away for 3 months at a time in winter so I am wondering if this 12V issue will result in me coming back to a dead car? Can anyone tell me if this is likely and how I can avoid it please?

I go away for 3 months at a time in winter so I am wondering if this 12V issue will result in me coming back to a dead car? Can anyone tell me if this is likely and how I can avoid it please?
You could buy something like a Ctek battery optimiser and connect it while you are away.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel