MG4 doesn't finish startup ending in blank screen

gredie

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hello to all,

since a couple of days my MG4 doesn't finish startup ending in blank screen.
After entering the car everything starts as usual and after the (annoying & needless) A/C menu is popping up i press the brake to get the "system ready" message.
As i don't want to wait 1-2 minutes for the a/c menu to disappear I am using the arrow button to get rid of it, BUT than I get only a blank screen with the menu on the side. Car is driving as usual incl. camera screen, except that the star buttons are not working at this stage.
A t first i thought the menu screen would pop up in short time, but after a couple of minutes i pressed the physical home button and the menu appeared plus the star buttons are working again.
Is it just mine or did anyone else had such?

MG4 xpower with SWI68-29958-1300R46 & ~700km on the odometer.

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_230345.jpg
    IMG_20240302_230345.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 32
I had it this morning, first time. I just pressed the little car button to get into MG Pilot and all was well. I’ll be interested to see if it happens again.

I think I may have found the reason for the blank screen.
2-3 weeks ago I played around with an USB-stick full of music tracks. Unfortunately it took ages for the car to read the - to be honest huge - track list with +4.400 mp3 files. At that time it stopped counting after 2576 tracks, but i left it plugged in and forgot about it. It looks like that the tracklist simply vanished off the cars memory after two weeks and had to be re-read taking quite some time and preventing the startup process to continue.

Since I plugged off the usb-stick today afternoon everything starts up fine as usual.

Probably the startup sequence should be reordered to prioritize important stuff or support parallel processing better.

Learning lesson for me: Don't leave USB-Sticks with many tracks plugged in.

I have a USB stick permanently plugged in to the USB C port and it doesn't seem to cause any trouble. Also the car remembers where it was when it was turned off. But it only has 403 tracks at the moment.

I've had it when starting the car at night. The infotainment screen starts up as normal in light mode, then the car decides it's dark and switches the headlights on, so then the infotainment screen realises it should be in dark mode and gives up. (see photo)

By switching the option from auto to dark mode stops it getting confused and it boots up without a problem.

I'm still on the original R23 software version but I believe the later updates stop this happening. I'll find out when it comes back from its first service later this month.

IMG_20240226_065955402_HDR~2.jpg

Hi Ian,
in my case this happened at daylight. But I will check this or at least have an eye on it.
Thanks for the hint!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel