MG4 Equalisation Charge

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just charging my Trophy to 100% to equalise the cell voltages and in preparation for a longer trip tomorrow. Is there any indication to tell when the process is complete, or do I just wait until zero charge voltage is indicated? The manual doesn't make it clear.

Just charging my Trophy to 100% to equalise the cell voltages and in preparation for a longer trip tomorrow. Is there any indication to tell when the process is complete, or do I just wait until zero charge voltage is indicated? The manual doesn't make it clear.
The charge port will go blue then the lights go out when done if you can see it from a window

I'd be interested to know the same thing. I've just charged mine to 100% and left it on the charger after it reached 100% It kept drawing just over 4kW for about half an hour after it had reached 100%, which seemed quite a lot! As I was on a public charger I decided to stop the charge and have another go when I'm home.
Edit: Just seen the other posts above that came in while I was typing!

If you have a smart meter, you will probably have a "Home Energy" meter.
Great for plotting how long your car takes to complete a balance cycle.
It will indicate around 6 Kw's before reaching around 96% than it will reduce the demand to 3.5 Kw's then as the balance commences, it will drop right back to around 500 Watts.
As time passes by this reduce again to 300 Watts, then just before it completes, it will pull back to 175 Watts and shortly after, automatically close down the wall box and return it to the standby.
How long will this cycle take ?.
It will depend on how far the cells are out of balance.
The original ZS EV Gen 1 on the factory software, about 30 to 45 minutes.
After the BMS update, roughly about 4 hours but I could never get mine below 3 hours.
First balance after the BMS update ALL NIGHT !.

I've just charged mine to 100% and left it on the charger after it reached 100% It kept drawing just over 4kW for about half an hour after it had reached 100%, which seemed quite a lot! As I was on a public charger I decided to stop the charge and have another go when I'm home.
I tried doing an equalisation charge again once I was home. After reaching 100% in the app it still pulled 4kW for quite a time but I stuck with it and eventually the charge rate started dropping. It fluctuated a bit but generally on a downward trend until it stopped charging a little over an hour from when it had first shown 100%.
It seems to have had a good effect. I'd noticed that my predicted range had steadily been dropping and, although the range displayed didn't change for a few hours even after a 20 mile drive, it has now increased by more than 40 miles. I guess it needed doing!

An someone explain what this is please. Trophy ordered delivery in March? Is this something I will have to do, charge to 100% etc

An someone explain what this is please. Trophy ordered delivery in March? Is this something I will have to do, charge to 100% etc
Normally, on the Trophy, you operate the car between 20 to 80 percent but now and again, about once every couple of weeks or so, you need to charge to 100 percent to enable the battery cells to balance out. If you don't do this, the individual cell voltages will drift from each other to the detriment of the battery. I could get more technical, but you'd get bored!!

The cells got out of balance quicker if used a lot on rapid chargers.
Just leave in a type 2 EVSE over night to balance once a month it will turn off when done.

According to the book an equalisation charge should be carried out over a long period on a low charge rate, but reading the above posts it seems that is not important. Its the last bit of the charge when the equalisation takes place - is that correct ?

According to the book an equalisation charge should be carried out over a long period on a low charge rate, but reading the above posts it seems that is not important. Its the last bit of the charge when the equalisation takes place - is that correct ?
Yes, that's right. as @Jomarkh points out, you need to be on a fast (7kW) charger or granny charger for a good while after the charge is actually complete.

Does the battery have to be charged to 100% to balance?

a couple of days ago I charged my Trophy to 80% overnight with the granny charger which achieved the required level by 8am. However, it then charged for a further 1½ hours (3.3kWh) after which time the charge rate dropped to 0.1kW for a period before iSMART showed charging had stopped.

So does that mean the battery is balanced or do I still need to do a 100% charge?

Does the battery have to be charged to 100% to balance?

a couple of days ago I charged my Trophy to 80% overnight with the granny charger which achieved the required level by 8am. However, it then charged for a further 1½ hours (3.3kWh) after which time the charge rate dropped to 0.1kW for a period before iSMART showed charging had stopped.

So does that mean the battery is balanced or do I still need to do a 100% charge?
You do need to ensure it reaches 100% and then wait until the charge rate drops right away.

I have the 72 plate mg5 long range. Would putting the car on a Tesco 7kwh type 2 for couple of hours would this balance the battery if taken to 100% from about 80%

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back