MG4 EV (air con / fan problem) noise

Enjoying my MG4

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My wife and I remain very pleased with our MG4 EV. However, we do have a noise problem when the air conditioning unit is switched on. We reported the problem less than four hours after driving away from the MG dealer and they were as helpful as they could be and replaced the air conditioning unit to no avail. The fault continued and seems to be fan related in my opinion (Depending on the speed the air con is working at). We decided not to have it looked at any further at this time. When we returned to our MG dealer for further repairs, we were provided with an identical car that when inspected, had an identical fault. We then asked to look at other MG4 EV’s on the forecourt, only to find the same fault with all five we looked at. Knowing all the others made the same noise when the air con is switched on, we did not want our car to be dismantled any further. We are now going to chase this up on our first EV service in the hope that other people have reported the fault and had it fixed. We are hopeful that MG4 EV’s will have a factory recall at some stage to rectify the fault. It does seem fan (hitting something ) related in my opinion.

For those that are interested and to aid further, I created a video clip of the noise, that has apparently been sent to MG (China). It probably sounds louder than it is, as a mobile phone picks up the sounds very well. Here is the You Tube link.

Summary- If you have this noise and manage to get it fixed, please let us know, so that we can educate our MG dealer to order the correct spares for repairs. Unfortunately, during our last visit, they lost their MG4 EV mechanic, so this was another reason we did not want it looked at any further, at this stage.

Thanks for reading and am pleased to be on board the forum.

I do not hear anything I would describe as a clicking noise. I wish I had some way to post a recording of my car so you could hear the difference. I also do not think I hear any noise with just the heater, only if the A/C is on.

By the way, where was your phone when you made these recordings? What are we looking at?

Last edited:
Might be worth checking this is covered by warranty if you leave it til after the first year as I thought the 7 years was only in the battery
Thanks for the reply. We looked into this and MG4 EV have more than the battery covered under the seven year warranty. We also spoke in depth to the sales manager at the dealership and we are not concerned in this area. It is simply a noise that we are tolerating, in the hope that several other people see it as an issue and follow through with a complaint and get fixed at some stage. Hopefully, reaching out to the forum is a good way to advertise the issue and seek common ground and get it fixed at some stage.

Might be worth checking this is covered by warranty if you leave it til after the first year as I thought the 7 years was only in the battery
Thanks for the reply. We looked into this and MG4 EV have more than the battery covered under the seven year warranty. We also spoke in depth to the sales manager at the dealership and we are not concerned in this area. It is simply a noise that we are tolerating, in the hope that several other people see it as an issue and follow through with a complaint and get fixed at some stage. Hopefully, reaching out to the forum is a good way to advertise the issue and seek common ground and get it fixed at some stage.

I believe the warranty on a re-gas (gas & oil combined) is six months only. The AC unit will be under the 7 year warranty as not specifically specified in the warranty

I do not hear anything I would describe as a clicking noise. I wish I had some way to post a recording of my car so you could hear the difference. I also do not think I hear any noise with just the heater, only if the A/C is on.

By the way, where was your phone when you made these recordings? What are we looking at?
If you are not able to hear the noise I am explaining, I am very sorry, but I can not explain it any further. To me, it is as though a fan is hitting something. Trying to explaining something on a forum can be challenging. To me, I hear what I can only describe as a loud clicking noise coming from the car when I turn on my air con unit and to me it is a clicking noise that sounds like a fan hitting force. This is the only way I can explain it on a forum. My dealership understood exactly what I was explaining and offered to help further. However, I was not happy with them taking the car apart, until someone else had the problem fixed it.

“Where was your phone was when you made these recordings”: If you own an MG4 EV, please look at the air con unit area. My phone is zoomed into the air con unit area from under the bonnet. The hood is up and my phone is in my hand zoomed into the air con unit area. During part of the clip (1.00 to 1.34), I had my phone balance on the car under the bonnet area trying to show the air con unit area, while I turned the air con on and off.

I believe the warranty on a re-gas (gas & oil combined) is six months only. The AC unit will be under the 7 year warranty as not specifically specified in the warranty
Appreciate the information. It’s not something that we are concerned with. If out of warranty and cost money to repair, it's not a problem. What is important is that it is repaired. It’s been reported as an issue to the dealership and we are happy with the status so far. Appreciate the info though, Simply trying to find the cause at the moment.

Last edited:
It sounds very much like a fan noise to me as well. It is perfectly possible that the aircon unit has its own fan in addition to the heating fan. I would also assume that the electric motor driving the aircon pump has a fan.

I collect my car on Tuesday. I will be interested in if it makes a similar noise. If so, I will be sorely tempted to investigate further myself. As an engineer and former car restorer I feel perfectly qualified to track the noise down. I would also consider taking the matter up with the manufacturer of the aircon unit and pump rather than MG.

If you are not able to hear the noise I am explaining, I am very sorry, but I can not explain it any further. To me, it is as though a fan is hitting something. Trying to explaining something on a forum can be challenging. To me, I hear what I can only describe as a loud clicking noise coming from the car when I turn on my air con unit and to me it is a clicking noise that sounds like a fan hitting force. This is the only way I can explain it on a forum. My dealership understood exactly what I was explaining and offered to help further. However, I was not happy with them taking the car apart, until someone else had the problem fixed it.

“Where was your phone was when you made these recordings”: If you own an MG4 EV, please look at the air con unit area. My phone is zoomed into the air con unit area from under the bonnet. The hood is up and my phone is in my hand zoomed into the air con unit area. During part of the clip (1.00 to 1.34), I had my phone balance on the car under the bonnet area trying to show the air con unit area, while I turned the air con on and off.

Sorry, we misunderstand eath other. I am unable to hear a clicking noise on my own car. I fully appreciate what you are hearing, listening to your recording.

I'm not sure which is the aircon unit under the bonnet, but I imagine I'll be able to locate it when I look, going by your pictures. (It is raining heavily at the moment, but perhaps it will clear up later.)

Appreciate the information. It’s not something that we are concerned with. If out of warranty and cost money to repair, it's not a problem. What is important is that it is repaired. It’s been reported as an issue to the dealership and we are happy with the status so far. Appreciate the info though, Simply trying to find the cause at the moment.

That is roughly where I am too. My dealer thinks that the noise is normal, and that being unable to hear it from inside the car is consistent with that. I don't think it's about to blow up or anything, and if all it needs is a re-gas costing £150 then it's not exactly high finance.

My wife and I remain very pleased with our MG4 EV. However, we do have a noise problem when the air conditioning unit is switched on. We reported the problem less than four hours after driving away from the MG dealer and they were as helpful as they could be and replaced the air conditioning unit to no avail. The fault continued and seems to be fan related in my opinion (Depending on the speed the air con is working at). We decided not to have it looked at any further at this time. When we returned to our MG dealer for further repairs, we were provided with an identical car that when inspected, had an identical fault. We then asked to look at other MG4 EV’s on the forecourt, only to find the same fault with all five we looked at. Knowing all the others made the same noise when the air con is switched on, we did not want our car to be dismantled any further. We are now going to chase this up on our first EV service in the hope that other people have reported the fault and had it fixed. We are hopeful that MG4 EV’s will have a factory recall at some stage to rectify the fault. It does seem fan (hitting something ) related in my opinion.

For those that are interested and to aid further, I created a video clip of the noise, that has apparently been sent to MG (China). It probably sounds louder than it is, as a mobile phone picks up the sounds very well. Here is the You Tube link.

Summary- If you have this noise and manage to get it fixed, please let us know, so that we can educate our MG dealer to order the correct spares for repairs. Unfortunately, during our last visit, they lost their MG4 EV mechanic, so this was another reason we did not want it looked at any further, at this stage.

Thanks for reading and am pleased to be on board the forum.

I have an MG4 X (as far as I can tell broadly the same as the Trophy marketed in the UK) and on leaving the car the fan noise is very noticable until it's locked, sounding a bit the same as your recording. Inside the car, the aircon sound is limited to the rushing noise the air makes as it leaves the vents and at level five and below is almost inaudible. When it starts at level 10, it's very noisy and powerful enough to send hats and toupees flying into the rear seats, so dialing it down to 4 or 5 is always the first thing I do after following the car's welcome message "Remember to turn off LKA"

Mine also makes the ticking sound, but can't hear it inside the car, so not bothered about it.

Also yours seems way louder, but I have not opened the bonnet to record close to the pump.

Add us to this problem. New Trophy 2 weeks old. Silent at first and during last 2 weeks noise started and is increasing. Youtube vid is what we hear. For dealer now.

{posted in other thread, bit this is more focussed so copied}

My Trophy makes the same noise but not as pronounced due to not opening the bonnet and placing the recording device there. Our Leaf makes quite the noise as well when heat pump runs and has done for 8 years without issue.

The chirping noise is the aircon compressor, it starts off running fast and then if you stay there and listen it slows down until running slowly giving the chirping sound. I don’t hear it in the car at all, only when outside.

It doesn’t bother me but there may be some cars where there is an issue I guess. If all of the cars tested make the noise and multiple are the same when supplied over different batches and manufacturer dates then maybe, just maybe there is no fault…..in the majority of cases.

The only fans that run will be radiator at the front of the car and the interior fan. The motor for the compressor is internal with only power cabling exiting the system so no seals to leak on the input shaft like ICE cars.

I stumbled across this vid on YT before making it to this forum.
I’ve experienced the same issue today. Reported to my dealer this evening and will hopefully hear back from them tomorrow.
Thanks Anthony, glad the video came in handy. This forum is an awesome resource.

my car is booked in for the end of Sept… i’ll avoid using the AC until it gets looked at. Will have to drive around with the windows down i hear we have heatwave coming up.

@anthonymooney87 did you hear back from your dealer?

Thanks Anthony, glad the video came in handy. This forum is an awesome resource.

my car is booked in for the end of Sept… i’ll avoid using the AC until it gets looked at. Will have to drive around with the windows down i hear we have heatwave coming up.

@anthonymooney87 did you hear back from your dealer?
I did. If I’m honest it’s what I expected.
Id taken a video similar to yours and sent it to them.
The service engineer told me it sounds absolutely normal.
We obviously know that it’s not normal.
With that said I’m happy enough with his email reply. I’ll keep this as evidence should I need it in future.
I’m not seeing any solutions found for this on here.
I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for a resolve.

Nice weather today in the UK my AC is making a similar noise

I think we can safely say it's not a normal noise. To me, it has two levels (fan hitting the side of something) In my original video above (Time stamp 0.04 - temp set to low - fan speed set to 2), the fan hitting noise is fast. At time stamp 0.14 in the video and temp set to 25 and fan level set to 2, you hear what I will call a fan hitting noise at a lower speed. My speculation at this time is that the fan is either a mil too big or a gasket is not big enough. My air con was replaced as the MG mechanic and I both agreed this was the fault when we looked at it together (I was a mechanic in the 80's). However, if MG China are sending the same air con units out to fix, a new one would have the same problem. So even though my air con was replaced, it may still be air con / fan related. Also, I was told that no / few spare parts are being built / available at the moment, as they are keen to simply get the cars out (Without spares), so I would not rule out my replacement air con coming off a car that had the fault to begin with. This remains more speculation from my side.

The sales manager at my MG dealership did say he has let MG China know and I said I would touch base again around 4 to 6 months later and am hopeful that a recall of some type will eventually be carried out. My MG dealer was also happy to keep the car; provide me a replacement (With the same fault) and fix. However, I was not comfortable with leaving my car their for an extended period of time and being the guinea pig for the fix. The noise you hear on a mobile phone, fortunately, makes it sound louder than it is. For me though and in some way unfortunate, I live in a quiet area and am now tuned into the noise, so hear it several feet away and when stationary inside the car if the air con is on. The video I have take shows the actual air con unit the noise seems to be coming from.

I intend to send this forum post to my sales manager in around a month or two and chase up what MG China may have to say about it and am hopeful other people are starting to raise the noise issue with their MG dealerships. Please do not be told it's not a fault though. it is and in the 80's, this would have had a factory recall made (At great expenses to the manufacturer, so they won't be in a rush to fix. However, the fix may simply be a thicker gasket perhaps! Without seeing a parts diagram and how many fans are being used and where they are, it is also difficult to review further. Also, I assume fixing yourself may invalidate warranty)

It may not be fan related at all. It just sounds like it to me and mechanics I have spoke with and my sales manager and other people!

Looking forward to identifying what the problem will actually be and a recall. It's worth reporting it to your MG dealer, so that it's on record and gets repaired under warranty once a fix is found.

My Trophy makes the same noise but not as pronounced due to not opening the bonnet and placing the recording device there. Our Leaf makes quite the noise as well when heat pump runs and has done for 8 years without issue.

The chirping noise is the aircon compressor, it starts off running fast and then if you stay there and listen it slows down until running slowly giving the chirping sound. I don’t hear it in the car at all, only when outside.

It doesn’t bother me but there may be some cars where there is an issue I guess. If all of the cars tested make the noise and multiple are the same when supplied over different batches and manufacturer dates then maybe, just maybe there is no fault…..in the majority of cases.

The only fans that run will be radiator at the front of the car and the interior fan. The motor for the compressor is internal with only power cabling exiting the system so no seals to leak on the input shaft like ICE cars.
It would be good to see a parts diagram and all the fans used and where they are and also detailed specification on gaskets and sizes used (Although I am not an engineer, I have a little experience in this area). The air con firing up (Similar to a house fridge / freezer noise), is something I would say would be normal in most or all cars. What I can only assume at this stage, to be a fan hitting something noise, is not something I would expect to hear continuously and from several feet away in my case, so I remain hopeful in this getting identified as a fault and fixed hopefully in the future and under warranty and or as a MG recall. On a positive note, when we are behind people (in slow speed areas, when people are walking in the centre of a slim road with no footpath) that do not know a car is behind them, as soon as they hear our fan noise, I can only assume that they seem to wonder what the noise is and turn around and realise that there is a car behind them and move out of the way.

Note on seals. We were told that our MG4 EV has seals that need to be replaced with an air con unit swap out. When we got our air con replaced, we were nearly without our MG4 EV for several months. The replacement air con unit did not come with seals and were on back order. Our MG dealership managed to sourced replica (seals) parts to get us back on the road. So if anyone gets the air con replaced, please discuss this with the dealership first.

I have an MG4 X (as far as I can tell broadly the same as the Trophy marketed in the UK) and on leaving the car the fan noise is very noticable until it's locked, sounding a bit the same as your recording. Inside the car, the aircon sound is limited to the rushing noise the air makes as it leaves the vents and at level five and below is almost inaudible. When it starts at level 10, it's very noisy and powerful enough to send hats and toupees flying into the rear seats, so dialing it down to 4 or 5 is always the first thing I do after following the car's welcome message "Remember to turn off LKA"
When you lock the car, the air con automatically switched off. Hence no noise. In some ways, from a positive point of view, although loud for some of us and annoying and you do not know what damage is being done in this area, it's a nice security feature knowing that if you can hear a loud noise coming from the car when walking away, you know you have not locked it : -)

It sounds very much like a fan noise to me as well. It is perfectly possible that the aircon unit has its own fan in addition to the heating fan. I would also assume that the electric motor driving the aircon pump has a fan.

I collect my car on Tuesday. I will be interested in if it makes a similar noise. If so, I will be sorely tempted to investigate further myself. As an engineer and former car restorer I feel perfectly qualified to track the noise down. I would also consider taking the matter up with the manufacturer of the aircon unit and pump rather than MG.
Hi Val33 - How did you get on when picking up your MG4 EV. Are you able to hear the noise and if you do, have you any thoughts in this area yourself? All the best.........

I think we can safely say it's not a normal noise. To me, it has two levels (fan hitting the side of something) In my original video above (Time stamp 0.04 - temp set to low - fan speed set to 2), the fan hitting noise is fast. At time stamp 0.14 in the video and temp set to 25 and fan level set to 2, you hear what I will call a fan hitting noise at a lower speed. My speculation at this time is that the fan is either a mil too big or a gasket is not big enough. My air con was replaced as the MG mechanic and I both agreed this was the fault when we looked at it together (I was a mechanic in the 80's). However, if MG China are sending the same air con units out to fix, a new one would have the same problem. So even though my air con was replaced, it may still be air con / fan related. Also, I was told that no / few spare parts are being built / available at the moment, as they are keen to simply get the cars out (Without spares), so I would not rule out my replacement air con coming off a car that had the fault to begin with. This remains more speculation from my side.

The sales manager at my MG dealership did say he has let MG China know and I said I would touch base again around 4 to 6 months later and am hopeful that a recall of some type will eventually be carried out. My MG dealer was also happy to keep the car; provide me a replacement (With the same fault) and fix. However, I was not comfortable with leaving my car their for an extended period of time and being the guinea pig for the fix. The noise you hear on a mobile phone, fortunately, makes it sound louder than it is. For me though and in some way unfortunate, I live in a quiet area and am now tuned into the noise, so hear it several feet away and when stationary inside the car if the air con is on. The video I have take shows the actual air con unit the noise seems to be coming from.

I intend to send this forum post to my sales manager in around a month or two and chase up what MG China may have to say about it and am hopeful other people are starting to raise the noise issue with their MG dealerships. Please do not be told it's not a fault though. it is and in the 80's, this would have had a factory recall made (At great expenses to the manufacturer, so they won't be in a rush to fix. However, the fix may simply be a thicker gasket perhaps! Without seeing a parts diagram and how many fans are being used and where they are, it is also difficult to review further. Also, I assume fixing yourself may invalidate warranty)

It may not be fan related at all. It just sounds like it to me and mechanics I have spoke with and my sales manager and other people!

Looking forward to identifying what the problem will actually be and a recall. It's worth reporting it to your MG dealer, so that it's on record and gets repaired under warranty once a fix is found.

It would be good to see a parts diagram and all the fans used and where they are and also detailed specification on gaskets and sizes used (Although I am not an engineer, I have a little experience in this area). The air con firing up (Similar to a house fridge / freezer noise), is something I would say would be normal in most or all cars. What I can only assume at this stage, to be a fan hitting something noise, is not something I would expect to hear continuously and from several feet away in my case, so I remain hopeful in this getting identified as a fault and fixed hopefully in the future and under warranty and or as a MG recall. On a positive note, when we are behind people (in slow speed areas, when people are walking in the centre of a slim road with no footpath) that do not know a car is behind them, as soon as they hear our fan noise, I can only assume that they seem to wonder what the noise is and turn around and realise that there is a car behind them and move out of the way.

Note on seals. We were told that our MG4 EV has seals that need to be replaced with an air con unit swap out. When we got our air con replaced, we were nearly without our MG4 EV for several months. The replacement air con unit did not come with seals and were on back order. Our MG dealership managed to sourced replica (seals) parts to get us back on the road. So if anyone gets the air con replaced, please discuss this with the dealership first.

When you lock the car, the air con automatically switched off. Hence no noise. In some ways, from a positive point of view, although loud for some of us and annoying and you do not know what damage is being done in this area, it's a nice security feature knowing that if you can hear a loud noise coming from the car when walking away, you know you have not locked it : -)

Hi Val33 - How did you get on when picking up your MG4 EV. Are you able to hear the noise and if you do, have you any thoughts in this area yourself? All the best.........
I'm hopeful we'll get a resolution. My goal with emailing my dealer was to highlight my concern but also have correspondence from them whether it be "yeah there's a problem" or "No, this is normal". Therefore having this as evidence to being mis-informed.
This isn't something I'm going to lay down and accept however. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a solution to the problem and refer back to my dealer. I don't want to be the guinea pig either so I'd rather wait until they carry out a few AC repairs before playing with mine.

I think it will be helpful to all with this problem to post my video of the issue. It's a good clear visual and audio recording. Turn up your volume if necessary.

Car was silent when first picked-up. Then progressively worse until this video.

Issue has gone to dealer (who has been very helpful) and on to MG. Currently waiting for MG response.

I think it will be helpful to all with this problem to post my video of the issue. It's a good clear visual and audio recording. Turn up your volume if necessary.

Car was silent when first picked-up. Then progressively worse until this video.

Issue has gone to dealer (who has been very helpful) and on to MG. Currently waiting for MG response.

Thanks for this. Exactly what I'm experiencing. I'll share this with my dealer.

This evening I pitched up at my destination charger and needed my Type 2 cable which lives under the bonnet. When I opened the bonnet to get it the aircon was still on. I noticed the sound got louder, but it still wasn't at a level that would concern me if I hadn't heard all the other stories about it. I think there must be different levels of noise.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back