MG4 First 1000km in Ireland

jonney

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I decided to make a post on how I've gotten on with the MG4 Exclusive (Trophy).
Mostly because forums are (naturally) populated with bad news more than good.
IMG_20230203_141025_2.jpg

I've had it two weeks and I'm pretty happy with it so far.
I went into the sale knowing much of the software issues that exist e.g. TSR is localised to UK signs, LKA is... well LKA.
Mine had no tray bulge, no sign of oil leak but it has been wet and my drive is already dirty.
My low beams were giving about 10m of visibility. I have a mate with alignment setter so we got that sorted.
Dealer says TSR update is being worked on.
ACC doesn't handle downhill very well, it wont maintain speed but rather alternates between throttle and braking.
I can see some oxidisation on the rear discs already, I think the odd tear-around with min regen is on the cards.
The most worrying thing that has happened is a false AEB activation while slowly passing a parked bus with slow moving oncoming traffic.

Hopefully this post doesn't jinx it... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
View attachment 15293

I went into the sale knowing much of the software issues that exist e.g. TSR is localised to UK signs, LKA is... well LKA.
Mine had no tray bulge, no sign of oil leak but it has been wet and my drive is already dirty.
My low beams were giving about 10m of visibility. I have a mate with alignment setter so we got that sorted.
ACC doesn't handle downhill very well, it wont maintain speed but rather alternates between throttle and braking.
I can see some oxidisation on the rear discs already, I think the odd tear-around with min regen is on the cards.
The most worrying thing that has happened is a false AEB activation while slowly passing a parked bus with slow moving oncoming traffic.
Poorly aligned headlights have been reported by a few people, although the adjusters are very conveniently placed, so easy to sort.

I would recommend regular low regen heavy braking to keep the discs clean. The rears get very little use normally.

AEB is a problem on many makes. My Skoda does phantom emergency braking roughly once a month. I'll be glad to see the back of it.

Also in Ireland with 8500 miles done. One of the first batch of dealer cars in October.
So putting aside how good EVs are anyway, the car has been great.

But does suffer from the common problems
  1. Infotainment screen flipping, doesn't happen often though, can be cured with reset in settings
  2. DAB radio fails every other drive, soft reset normally fixes it
  3. LKA not safe, needs off for every journey
  4. Charging port drain keeps getting blocked and fills with rain water just below the DC sockets
  5. Internal temperature over reads.
  6. Cant pre-heat car if charging cable connected, but charging has finished (zappi charger)
  7. Paint is quite soft and chips easily
  8. Energy consumption graph doesn't work
  9. ACC could be more refined
I'm sure others have other issues, but these are the only ones for me.

Most of these issues are software hopefully will be fixed

None of the above is enough to take away from the fact it's a great car

Ceramic Coated
IMG_7854.jpeg

Also in Ireland with 8500 miles done. One of the first batch of dealer cars in October.

1. Infotainment screen flipping, doesn't happen often though, can be cured with reset in settings
  4. Charging port drain keeps getting blocked and fills with rain water just below the DC sockets
  6. Cant pre-heat car if charging cable connected, but charging has finished (zappi charger)

Ceramic Coated
View attachment 15305
The black is lovely.
Was the ceramic coating worthwhile?
I'll be keeping an eye on that charging port cheers.

How good is your dealer?
I won't really know unless something goes wrong :LOL:

View attachment 15293

You mention that forums are populated with bad news and then list the issues that you’ve had with the car! I was expecting more positives…

View attachment 15293

Your car looks really good in white.

You mention that forums are populated with bad news and then list the issues that you’ve had with the car! I was expecting more positives…
My point was that there are issues but all are minor.
But true I didn't really talk about all the great parts, pretty much all the YouTube reviews cover them though. I moved from a 10 year old Focus to this and I totally love driving it.

Glad you're enjoying the MG4, Jonney. I find that the speed limiter is more useful on all the cars I've had. ACC isn't for me as it seems to be less economical (not is LKA and most of the others). Also, if you think about it, you have to do something to cancel ACC; with limiter you just take your foot off slightly to slow the car, or push through to speed up if you need to - so no big movement required, if you see what I mean.

My point was that there are issues but all are minor.
But true I didn't really talk about all the great parts, pretty much all the YouTube reviews cover them though. I moved from a 10 year old Focus to this and I totally love driving it.
When did you get your car and what charger cable came with it,(any oil drips)?

Ceramic Coated
View attachment 15305
Get the R33 update it cures all those problems mentioned (1,2, 3, & 8).
I had same faults and they also changed the infotainment head display unit which cured the flipping.

I can see some oxidisation on the rear discs already, I think the odd tear-around with min regen is on the cards
Might be a good idea to get the brakes checked out for proper lubrication on the slide pins of the calipers. Mine had zero and was causing uneven wear and sticking from day 1.
Cracking little car though, despite a fair few teething issues 😬

Might be a good idea to get the brakes checked out for proper lubrication on the slide pins of the calipers. Mine had zero and was causing uneven wear and sticking from day 1.
Well I think you hit the nail on the head.
Noticed back brakes sticking while reversing today. Looked at the discs and I can see uneven wear.

Is there a guide for those unfamiliar to help us do this or do you recommend taking it to a garage?

Is there a guide for those unfamiliar to help us do this or do you recommend taking it to a garage?
Entirely conventional calipers, made in the SAIC factory but a good design. Particularly like the big anti - drag springs they're fitted with, the disc seems to spin particularly freely when the caliper is lubed correctly.
I wouldn't like to encourage anyone to work on brakes if they're unsure but the warranty should cover this, the cars should not have left the factory in this condition.
Easy job for any competent garage though, or there will be a zillion YouTube vids covering working on almost identical calipers.
Watch yer digits with these motorised parking brakes though, I've heard some flat finger stories to make your blood run cold :sick:

I'm going to ask my dealer to check mine when my car eventually goes back for the Oil Leak Fix (v329).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back