MG4 First EV & Advice

Avoided Macklin like the plague. Before choosing a dealer I look at their aftersales reviews. Let's say Macklin was not top of the pile. A truly good company is not all front...the back has to be just as good. I am going with Fraser of Falkirk based on their aftersales reviews. Time will tell

Alan

Avoided Macklin like the plague. Before choosing a dealer I look at their aftersales reviews. Let's say Macklin was not top of the pile. A truly good company is not all front...the back has to be just as good. I am going with Fraser of Falkirk based on their aftersales reviews. Time will tell

Alan
Completely agree with you here Alan - I was already invested in a ZS EV with Frasers which still hasn’t arrived conversely they have had really brilliant reviews & my service for picking up my MG4 was second to none… and they then had some stock cars so seemed most convenient to me - however when making the decision it was between perth and Frasers as they seemed to be getting deliveries of cars & had the reviews to back them up.

I've ordered with Perth MG, had good reviews online and was impressed the couple of times I was in
This is who I’m with and the reason being is I’ve had great service through their Suzuki dealership for over five years in Broughty Ferry. They’re part of the West End Motor Group:
West End Motor Group

Any west-central Scotland MG4ers amongst us? (I'm in Strathaven, and I'm getting my MG4 from Arnold Shark in East Kilbride). :)

Can confirm that the screen protector linked above from myself was perfect! Actually helps with sun reflection & doesn’t cause as much dirty marks & finger marks since it’s Matt, responsiveness is just as good as it was before also.

Attachments

• 80FC5637-E5E0-4B48-9245-1974F7824CE8.jpeg
    80FC5637-E5E0-4B48-9245-1974F7824CE8.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 121
Can confirm that the screen protector linked above from myself was perfect! Actually helps with sun reflection & doesn’t cause as much dirty marks & finger marks since it’s Matt, responsiveness is just as good as it was before also.
Have you noticed any pressing issues with screen protector or it had no impact?

This all sounds a bit like I may have to obtain a physics degree in order to drive the car efficiently :). I'll have to scour YouTube for videos on how to drive an ev correctly :)

As I have a mate who drives an electric Kona and regularly tells me he's getting 4.7miles/kwh - or something like that - I need to know how to compete. or do I need a different car?
Some years back, one episode of 5th Gear told of different methods to save fuel, by keeping the windows closed, not having a roof rack etc. etc. I worked it out that if I applied all these fuel saving tips, I would have to keep syphoning fuel out as the tank would be overflowing due to the total savings added together would be over 100% :LOL:

Good Afternoon All,

FYI if anyone has a ZS floor mat from your old boot cover - also fits nicely in your MG4. Can’t seem to find any rubber liner boot mats yet. If anyone knows feel free to shout out loud!

I know there are floor mats in production but I’m looking for rubber boot liner too.

Much Appreciated

Good Afternoon All,

FYI if anyone has a ZS floor mat from your old boot cover - also fits nicely in your MG4. Can’t seem to find any rubber liner boot mats yet. If anyone knows feel free to shout out loud!

I know there are floor mats in production but I’m looking for rubber boot liner too.

Much Appreciated
Dylan, I think that company will also be making boot mats as well, so we should keep an eye on their site.

Dylan, I think that company will also be making boot mats as well, so we should keep an eye on their site.
Dan Smith of carmats.co.uk replied to me:

“We will be getting the boot mat for this vehicle as soon as we can but don't have a lead time on the pattern currently.

Would you like us to add you to the waitlist for this mat?

You will be notified by email once it becomes available.”

email him to be added to his mailing list.

Also use code BUYDIRECT to get 10% off. Not sure how long this will be available. 🤞it lasts until the boot mat comes available and a full set can be ordered.

The recommended charge level for an LFP is 100% at least once a week. LFP is the battery in the standard range and coincidently used in the standard range of the Tesla - both 3 and Y. LFP is a safer chemistry than Lithium Ion based batteries (used in the Long Range versions) and it is not recommended to charge these (routinely) more than 80% charge. 100% only occasionally for longer journeys is of course fine.

The LFP is a little more tolerable of colder conditions - great for UK winters. It is generally only used in the smaller standard range form - as the batteries are actually a little heavier than Lithium Ion - therefore the batteries are smaller to balance the weight and can hold less charge.

You will note there is little difference between the kerb weight of the MG4 SE SR v LR.

The only drawback (with charging everyday to 100% (which these batteries like)) - is that regen will be reduced until you have driven for a while and the % charge reduced - be conscious of this in the MG4 - as you will need to use the brake peddle a little more than expected if using the hard regen setting as your routine - when you first set off. I am sure we will get used to it.

As mentioned LFP is a safer chemistry - LFP cannot catch fire - we have LFP Sonnen home batteries for this very reason - and this is also the reason Tesla’s Power Wall home batteries have to be installed outside the main house - as they are Lithium Ion based (which is why we did not go for them).

Of course the fire risk is extremely low on Lithium Ion and every safety measure will have been deployed to ensure this - but there is a very small risk if the battery is ever punctured (in an accident for example) - in the very very rare event fire does take hold - once it has its is very hard to put out.

With LFP nothing will happen.

I was lucky enough to have owned a standard range Model 3 for awhile - absolutely no difference in performance compared to the LR versions (I also had one of those Model Y) - range is a little less of course - but as a man of a certain age - there was no way I could drive and use all the range the standard range offers - without needing a rest stop - and planning my journey accordingly.

Charger availabilty is more of a concern these days - in my personal opinion - rather than range anxiety - although even that is getting better.

My new MG4 SE SR (Red) - when I get it - will be my fourth BEV - and I am really looking forward to it.

I hope you enjoy yours too.
Hi Interesting to read about lfp batteries being charged to 100% once a week. I have an mg4 SR. Trying to find consistent information on this subject is difficult. I don’t do many miles so I’ve been charging to 80%. Is it ok to charge to 100% and leave it standing for a couple of days or indeed above 80%? Regards Terry

Hi Interesting to read about lfp batteries being charged to 100% once a week. I have an mg4 SR. Trying to find consistent information on this subject is difficult. I don’t do many miles so I’ve been charging to 80%. Is it ok to charge to 100% and leave it standing for a couple of days or indeed above 80%? Regards Terry
If you have the SE SR then you have the lfp batteries which will benefit from a regular balance charge but if as you say you aren't doing many miles then once a fortnight should be OK. Charging to 100% isn't a problem for your batteries. The most damaging is frequent rapid charging.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back