MG4 Horn beeps when locking car

ruaidhri

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I just collected my MG4 today and I have to shut down the car using the menu before I can lock the car. I checked the doors and boot and they seem to be closed ok, there's no warning light telling me a door isn't closed properly. There must be something simple but I'm stumped.

No keys in car and it happened again. Only way to lock car is double press the lock button on key
The only time I have had this, a door, or the boot or bonnet was open. The boot can catch you out as it can look closed but not be latched. Double check all 4 doors, boot and bonnet are closed properly.

It still happens, not all the time but sometimes. I'm going to ring the dealer this morning to see if they can have a look at it. It has to be a sensor methinks. If I shutdown the car manually I can use the keyless locking and the keyfob locking.

It happened to me too but I looked at the app a bit later on and found the boot door wasn’t shut properly. The Mrs had took some shopping out of the boot earlier and hadn’t shut the door properly. To be fair the boot door is quite heavy.

I've found that the car will honk the horn every second or two if you hit the lock button too many times.
I think it's so you can find where you parked it, if you don't have your phone with the "Where the &*#@! did I park" button in the app.

I had all doors and windows closed.
Just no chance of locking the car. It took several attempt of opening and closing doors and restarting the car to then be able to finally lock it down.

Last edited:
I've found close your door and wait about 10 seconds before hitting the lock on the fob it's like the car needs time to register all doors are closed before it let's you lock it. I was having this problem and found I was just being too quick. My impatience still sometimes gets the better of me

The boot lid may need re-alignment when it's shut. Is the top flush with the lights ?

I have had this as well, there must be a feature we do not understand fully yet.
But, I could lock the car when I held the button on the doorhandle pressed.

I think it has something to do with when opening with the keyfob you need to close it as well with it?? Not tested yet but my Renault has some sytem like that as well.

I think I saw a video about this. Has something to do with the driver door lock only or all doors. Single or double press of key fob does different things. I will see if I can find the video and post a link

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back