MG4 Issues / Bugs list

shaunuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Not sure if some one has done this already, i'm only 3-4 driving hours into driving ownership but as I find various annoyances and bugs / issues im making notes. Should we keep a group list and then some how get one of the dealers to communicate them with MG directly ? Im happy to coordinate, perhaps a google sheet ?

So far ive got:

Hardware items to address:

• wireless charger is not deep enough, phone keeps sliding off
  • the rear of the car is quite wild, easy to loose traction (im not used to rear wheel drive but still, its not even winter yet and I gat caught out in the first 10 minutes taking a left hand bend over some dampness and the back end skidded out a bit - traction control probably needs to react faster)
  • ABS is noisy, again, probably not an issue but usually abs is felt through the peddle and a little through a deep thudding noise, this is more like a loud tapping noise coming from behind the firewall
  • plastic trim / design detail in-front of the wind mirrors is a bit flappy
  • a piece of the under body trim near the rear axle is a little bowed down and facing forward acting as a bit of a air / water scoop, doesn't seem to be bent plastic but more a component pushing down on it.
Software bugs to address:

• When you get into the car it can take a while for it to wake up with a few presses on the brake it does wake up but this can be perhaps 5 seconds, its not Tesla jump in and go.
  • Lane keep assist is strange, it will steer but tends to aim for one of the lines, either left or right, then when you apply some torque to correct the cars position and put it back in the middle of the lane it will fight you a bit until you apply enough torque to over come it, at which point it gives up and you end up jerking the car further than necessary.
  • Regen is quite weak in all modes compared to the competition, there should be an option that is quite close to one peddle driving
  • Amazon music streaming has crashed once already in the three hours ive been driving it.
  • the steering wheel buttons, which are multifunction can end up doing more than one thing, currently when I press left or right on the right button I control both the track skipping and the fan speed, going into and out of the option select button (button with two intersecting squares) seems to help un confuse the software.
  • The displays switch between night and day mode continually as you drive under trees etc (switched to dark mode for now)
  • Hard to find the brightness adjustments and volume (hint, its a drag down from the top right of the screen), should probably be a button in the top row of the screen.
  • The car incorrectly keeps telling me im not focusing on the road (switched off for now)
  • Getting into the heating controls quickly is fiddly, if you press the left hand button on the dash it will toggle between on and off, but if you just want to change the heat or turn on heated seat on you first have to turn the heat off, then select a mode and switch it back on. (you can press the temp at the top of the screen but this is small and fiddly when driving)
  • phone bluetooth key does not work, you can unlock the car with app but not drive.
  • paring with the mg app is buggy, you make an account, scan the qr code the car shows under the user option and you get stuck in a loop, had to log the car in separately.
  • creating an account or login in as you, defaults to asking for a mobile number for two factor authentication, the sms never arrives, there is an option for email.
  • generally the app is buggy, some times showing an error, needs a fundamental frontend re design to address blocking whilst a setting a setting change is sent.
  • cant defrost the screen from the app.
Customer experience items to address:
  • communication from mg (not the dealers) has been poor, so dealers have had very little idea of delivery dates etc.
  • dealer didn't have matts at car delivery time
  • car does not include a charging cable with three pin plug (granny cable) (it includes a standard type 2 extension lead), which means new ev owners have no way of charging at home until they either buy a third party one, get a home charger or go to a public one. Seems strange to buy a car that by default has no universal way to make it useable.
  • people (wives) report the inside to be quite dark (head liner colour)
  • people (wives) report the door cills to be wider than usual and a bit pointy

I created a wish list thread that covered some of this ground.

Bottom line is that it would be useful if there was some place for owners (and potential owners) to detail improvements that they would like to see and a mechanism to feed that back to MG, ultimately leading to even better cars and a superior ownership experience.

Many of these improvements are software based or would require little additional expenditure for the manufacturer to make a great car better still.

• the rear of the car is quite wild, easy to loose traction (im not used to rear wheel drive but still, its not even winter yet and I gat caught out in the first 10 minutes taking a left hand bend over some dampness and the back end skidded out a bit - traction control probably needs to react faster)
Maybe it got ditch finder eco box tyres on it? I'd be surprised if that occurred in 'normal' driving with the likes of Michelin Pilot Sport 5, or Goodyear Asymmetric 6 on it. If you can get those in the car's tyre size.
I've got an MX-5 ND and touch wood, I've never had anything like that, and that's got 50/50 weight distribution and RWD & is a solid 600 + kg lighter.
And that got the OEM Bridgstone Potenzas on it, which are generally disliked.

Edit: Looking at some Autotrader photos, it seems it has Conti Premium Contact C or something. Now, I'm aware of Premium Contact 6, which are actually a pretty good reviewed touring tyre, but I've never heard of 'C'. It's definitely a 'C' and not a 6 on the tyre wall. Maybe it's an 'ev tyre' or something?
Either way, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is avalible in that 215/50/17 tyre size, and I'd go with them all day long.

Last edited:
Not sure if some one has done this already, i'm only 3-4 driving hours into driving ownership but as I find various annoyances and bugs / issues im making notes. Should we keep a group list and then some how get one of the dealers to communicate them with MG directly ? Im happy to coordinate, perhaps a google sheet ?

So far ive got:

Hardware items to address:

• wireless charger is not deep enough, phone keeps sliding off
  • ABS is noisy, again, probably not an issue but usually abs is felt through the peddle and a little through a deep thudding noise, this is more like a loud tapping noise coming from behind the firewall
  • plastic trim / design detail in-front of the wind mirrors is a bit flappy
  • a piece of the under body trim near the rear axle is a little bowed down and facing forward acting as a bit of a air / water scoop, doesn't seem to be bent plastic but more a component pushing down on it.
Software bugs to address:

• When you get into the car it can take a while for it to wake up with a few presses on the brake it does wake up but this can be perhaps 5 seconds, its not Tesla jump in and go.
  • Lane keep assist is strange, it will steer but tends to aim for one of the lines, either left or right, then when you apply some torque to correct the cars position and put it back in the middle of the lane it will fight you a bit until you apply enough torque to over come it, at which point it gives up and you end up jerking the car further than necessary.
  • Regen is quite weak in all modes compared to the competition, there should be an option that is quite close to one peddle driving
  • Amazon music streaming has crashed once already in the three hours ive been driving it.
  • the steering wheel buttons, which are multifunction can end up doing more than one thing, currently when I press left or right on the right button I control both the track skipping and the fan speed, going into and out of the option select button (button with two intersecting squares) seems to help un confuse the software.
  • The displays switch between night and day mode continually as you drive under trees etc (switched to dark mode for now)
  • Hard to find the brightness adjustments and volume (hint, its a drag down from the top right of the screen), should probably be a button in the top row of the screen.
  • The car incorrectly keeps telling me im not focusing on the road (switched off for now)
  • Getting into the heating controls quickly is fiddly, if you press the left hand button on the dash it will toggle between on and off, but if you just want to change the heat or turn on heated seat on you first have to turn the heat off, then select a mode and switch it back on. (you can press the temp at the top of the screen but this is small and fiddly when driving)
  • phone bluetooth key does not work, you can unlock the car with app but not drive.
  • paring with the mg app is buggy, you make an account, scan the qr code the car shows under the user option and you get stuck in a loop, had to log the car in separately.
  • creating an account or login in as you, defaults to asking for a mobile number for two factor authentication, the sms never arrives, there is an option for email.
  • generally the app is buggy, some times showing an error, needs a fundamental frontend re design to address blocking whilst a setting a setting change is sent.
  • cant defrost the screen from the app.
Customer experience items to address:
  • communication from mg (not the dealers) has been poor, so dealers have had very little idea of delivery dates etc.
  • dealer didn't have matts at car delivery time
  • car does not include a charging cable with three pin plug (granny cable) (it includes a standard type 2 extension lead), which means new ev owners have no way of charging at home until they either buy a third party one, get a home charger or go to a public one. Seems strange to buy a car that by default has no universal way to make it useable.
  • people (wives) report the inside to be quite dark (head liner colour)
  • people (wives) report the door cills to be wider than usual and a bit pointy
With all the other issues I’ve had I’d forgotten how having to press the brake a few times, sometimes, is annoying. I’m pretty sure I’ve belted up but it might be that I haven’t 🤷🤷🤷

Maybe it got ditch finder eco box tyres on it? I'd be surprised if that occurred in 'normal' driving with the likes of Michelin Pilot Sport 5, or Goodyear Asymmetric 6 on it. If you can get those in the car's tyre size.
I've got an MX-5 ND and touch wood, I've never had anything like that, and that's got 50/50 weight distribution and RWD & is a solid 600 + kg lighter.
And that got the OEM Bridgstone Potenzas on it, which are generally disliked.

Edit: Looking at some Autotrader photos, it seems it has Conti Premium Contact C or something. Now, I'm aware of Premium Contact 6, which are actually a pretty good reviewed touring tyre, but I've never heard of 'C'. It's definitely a 'C' and not a 6 on the tyre wall. Maybe it's an 'ev tyre' or something?
Either way, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is avalible in that 215/50/17 tyre size, and I'd go with them all day long.
I assume the tyre pressures are correct (2.5 bar all round) and aren't still at their storage pressures.

I assume the tyre pressures are correct (2.5 bar all round) and aren't still at their storage pressures.
Yes, that's another one. Good point.
Hopefully the OP had adjusted them and they didn't have the often highly inflated 50 psi shockers.

I've done 300 miles in my se standard range now and have noticed a couple of issues:-
-the car is slow to boot up with the main screen occasionally faillimg to come on and then booting for a second time.
  • Autohold issues, the car keeps reporting an error with autohold, this again seems to be a problem with the car booting, as it seems to occur if you go onto drive before the car has fully woke.
  • Driver modes and regeneration don't save and cannot be assigned to the steering wheel buttons on the se
-Heating controls, when adjusting temp, the controls on screen keep switching between temp and fan speed making it really awkward to adjust whilst driving.
- Radio, everytime there is a phone notification the radio switches off and switches to BT audio.
-Android auto preproduction hardware error message.
-Hvac via the app, however hot the temp is set in the app the car blows cool air.
Autohold does not work when car is in reverse.
-Parking sensors seem a little slow to respond.

All in all though, I do love the car, but it does seem it is plagued with software issues.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back