MG4 Lack of software Updates thread

The LKA in my previous car had a few Emergency stops, usually because car in front used a slip road and my Hyundai Ioniq panicked and braked. My current MG4 Trophy has multiple dislikes and as a result my right foot is forever poised to take over acceleration to avoid being read ended.

That is not the Lane Keep Assistant. It is the Forward Collision System which gets back to [warning+Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)] every time you seat in the car.

LKA just moves the driving wheel; it does not alter the speed.

You can disable the FCS completely, or set it to just warn you without applying any braking.

Get ready,

I am sick of getting a notification and the radio getting switched off. Really pees me off. Also, a search function for FM.
An aux in too but that's by the by.
I'd like the Speedo to be a round one with a rev counter for power using and also putting back in.

Lane Kill attack I won't permanantly off along with those Speedo signs saying 20 in a 60.

Lane killer really wore me out on Thursday because it's just too much agro. I taped over the camera and it stopped it and the active cruise working. Mines a mobility car and it's upper body arthritis and tremors and it's hard work. I really was mad with it.

Get ready,

I am sick of getting a notification and the radio getting switched off. Really pees me off. Also, a search function for FM.
An aux in too but that's by the by.
I'd like the Speedo to be a round one with a rev counter for power using and also putting back in.

Lane Kill attack I won't permanantly off along with those Speedo signs saying 20 in a 60.

Lane killer really wore me out on Thursday because it's just too much agro. I taped over the camera and it stopped it and the active cruise working. Mines a mobility car and it's upper body arthritis and tremors and it's hard work. I really was mad with it.
Taped over which camera 🤔

The one on the windscreen. But this'll also disable all other functions which rely on that camera - including ACC (unless some part of the camera is left exposed to allow it to still work). I've seen this myself last winter when the windscreen was partially covered with frost/ice over that camera area - lots of warning messages about disabled functions.

I'm on R30 on a trophy and sick of the LKA issues. Finally decided to book it in to MG to get software updated and got a call back saying they will run a diagnostic and charge me £120! Like the car, hate the company and would be unlikely to purchase another MG now and would advise others to avoid based on the 'MG experience'.
Some dealers attitude to what they can charge for is (to be polite), a bit cheeky.
Where I think you (and others) may be going wrong is falling into the trap of requesting a software update - which dealers (apparently) are entitled to charge for, as a few others have posted, you need to approach them with your list of issues/complaints to be fixed, to which they will generally say a SW update is needed, which u accept and MG will refund dealer for addressing a customer complaint.

As owners/customers of MG I think it safe to say most of us couldn't really give a toss what version/age the software is - We just want our cars to function properly, and the onus for that lies squarely on MG/dealers to achieve that.

I do believe there is generally an acceptance (rightly or wrongly) that new technology will come with some software glitches and many learn to live with them, people would be far less tolerant if they have a mechanical part that is broken or not performing correctly, IMHO I don't see the difference, if something ain't right - fix it, no ifs or buts about it
-rant over 🙄

Some dealers attitude to what they can charge for is (to be polite), a bit cheeky.
Where I think you (and others) may be going wrong is falling into the trap of requesting a software update - which dealers (apparently) are entitled to charge for, as a few others have posted, you need to approach them with your list of issues/complaints to be fixed, to which they will generally say a SW update is needed, which u accept and MG will refund dealer for addressing a customer complaint.
Absolutely this. Never ever ask for a software update. Just persistently go to your dealer with the problem you have and firmly insist it is addressed. They'll install software updates because that's the easiest way to try to solve the problem.

The R30 refers to the infotainment software not the rest of the different software modules so updating from R30 to R36 for example will have no effect on the LKA.

It is the dealer charging you for the diagnostic not MG and not all dealers charge for this. When I enquired about having my software updated there was no mention of being charged and I was offered a free courtesy car.
Definitely dodgy dealer, updates are free at my dealership.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back