MG4 Lane Assist Rejection

MGAndy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
I’m at my wits end with the lane assist (LKA) in my new MG4. The service department accept it’s an issue with no fix at present (other than turn it off) and have had 100’s of complaints about it.

I think it’s unreasonable to expect my wife and daughters to remember to turn it off each time they use the car and I’m so concerned it will cause an incident, I’m considering rejecting it.

I’ve read a lot of posts from owners with similar concerns but has anyone gone as far as rejecting theirs and be willing to share their experience?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks, Andy

The latest software update (SE anyway) has it on a shortcut on the drag down menu. That’s likely the only solution for now I’m afraid.

A few people have rejected their cars, but I don't think anyone has rejected it solely on the basis of LKA.

The latest software update (SE anyway) has it on a shortcut on the drag down menu. That’s likely the only solution for now I’m afraid.
It's not good enough. Remove the rating and let us turn it permanently off.

Euro NCAP told me that MG do have available updates to fix the LKA. Did MG lie to them?

Last edited:
I think it’s unreasonable to expect my wife and daughters to remember to turn it off each time they use the car and I’m so concerned it will cause an incident, I’m considering rejecting it.
I hope you aren't implying that your wife and daughter are less competent drivers? 😁

On a serious note, until you get the result you want, i.e. software update or rejection, customise the greeting to remind you to turn off the LKA

I hope you aren't implying that your wife and daughter are less competent drivers? 😁

On a serious note, until you get the result you want, i.e. software update or rejection, customise the greeting to remind you to turn off the LKA
Never thought of that. Great idea - thank you.

This won't be a popular comment but I usually turn off LKA. I always have on my last 2 Hyundai's I've owned as I don't like a car trying to steer my car. Yesterday I thought I would deliberately leave it on and deliberately try to get it working by straying out of lane. It bleeps , flashes warnings and gently nudges the steering. At no time did I think this would take me into a ditch or cause any accident. It nudged but as my hands were on the wheel could not cause me to steer where I didn't want to and was easily overpowered. In short it was ok and certainly not dangerous. I will probably continue to turn it off as I don't agree with anything steering my car , but it cannot be described as dangerous. Trophy LR , 72 plate , 1 year old , 15k miles , not been updated since collection.

Last edited:
The couple of times I’ve forgotten about it on short drives it’s interrupted and irked me. Didn’t feel dangerous but it’s startling and especially when it wasn’t helping the situation it’s not a feature I want when I drive.
I’d much prefer profiles but I knew these foibles before buying so I’m OK with it.

In predictable circumstances even the strongest settings are doable. Still I prefer the alarm only version as best of all because it does make mistakes.
One example of what happens in the default mode with steering interventions: during heavy rain I was driving behind some lorries since one lane was closed. The lane had suffered from rutting and masses of water were thrown upwards. I felt slight aquaplaning so I decided to leave the rails by stearing a bit to the right. The car immediately steared back and the 18 inch tyres made the car wiggle a lot. Not a funny experience...

On an SE with latest software ... pull down on the screen, press the LDP icon, press OK on the Confirm message; LKA is off.

On all other models/software versions ... press the Car icon, press the MG Pilot tab (if not already preselected), find the LKA switch, press it, press OK on the Confirm message; LKA is off.

In all cases - make sure the car is in the READY state before trying to turn it off.

I’m at my wits end with the lane assist (LKA) in my new MG4. The service department accept it’s an issue with no fix at present (other than turn it off) and have had 100’s of complaints about it.

I’ve read a lot of posts from owners with similar concerns but has anyone gone as far as rejecting theirs and be willing to share their experience?

Thanks, Andy
I too

Lka is a killer

Thanks, Andy
OMG! Yes. I’m totally with you on this. The LKA is more dangerous than safe. I really worry it’ll take me into oncoming traffic.
So, I too want it off. But what a palaver.
That and setting my preferred driving levels. It’s so laborious.
Surely the computer should remember your preferences.

Apparently there is a new system override that MG can install - I’ll definitely be going to the dealership to ask about it.
Hoping it can fix the SOS drop out glitch too.

How easy is it to turn off?
It’s not. That’s the point.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums