MG4 light switch

fidra

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone else accidentally switched off their lights when driving at night? I’ve done it 3 times when dipping the main beam - nightmare. The switch is far too accessible and easily flicked for something so critical. I’m going to have to put tape on it to stop it happening. It’s a recipe for disaster.

Also on dipped beam the headlights barely let you see.

Has anyone else accidentally switched off their lights when driving at night? I’ve done it 3 times when dipping the main beam - nightmare. The switch is far too accessible and easily flicked for something so critical. I’m going to have to put tape on it to stop it happening. It’s a recipe for disaster.

I’ve never done it accidentally but it is a poor design and placing. Re visibility dipped beam, I find the lights excellent on dipped or high beam, I’m not experiencing the “barely lets you see” in any way shape or form.

Yep! First day we had the car we went out at night and I managed to knock the lights off several times when dipping them. I seem to have adjusted to it now and haven't done it recently.

I also find the dipped beam not too good. I'm hoping it's just poor adjustment as the actual light output isn't bad but they just don't reach far enough up the road even on their highest setting. It also means that I get a dark patch between the dipped beams and the mains.

Yep! First day we had the car we went out at night and I managed to knock the lights off several times when dipping them. I seem to have adjusted to it now and haven't done it recently.

I also find the dipped beam not too good. I'm hoping it's just poor adjustment as the actual light output isn't bad but they just don't reach far enough up the road even on their highest setting. It also means that I get a dark patch between the dipped beams and the mains.
Have you adjusted the headlight leveller?
Page 51 of the owners manual

When I learned to drive 49 years ago, I was told by my instructor that he primary function of dipped beams is to let others see you, main beams are for seeing further up the road.
Dipped beams do help you see a short distance up the road in fog better than mains.
You should try driving a Morris Minor in the dark with incandescent bulbs.

When I learned to drive 49 years ago, I was told by my instructor that he primary function of dipped beams is to let others see you, main beams are for seeing further up the road.
Dipped beams do help you see a short distance up the road in fog better than mains.
You should try driving a Morris Minor in the dark with incandescent bulbs.
I've had a Minor and it had pretty good lights compared with many of the cars I had before it! I agree about dipped beams, but mine are shorter up the road than my BMW i3 was. I'll get their aim checked when it goes in for the new breather.

I've had a Minor and it had pretty good lights compared with many of the cars I had before it! I agree about dipped beams, but mine are shorter up the road than my BMW i3 was. I'll get their aim checked when it goes in for the new breather.
That's why BMW drivers are famous for blinding oncoming traffic.😂

Have you adjusted the headlight leveller?
Page 51 of the owners manual
Yes, I've tried that.

I’ve tried that too. headlight leveller set at zero (2 front seat passengers only) and any other settings make it worse (by bringing the lit area closer). Out in the dark again this evening- avoided accidentally switching off the lights by touching only the end of the light stalk (will strap the switch with tape tomorrow) but lit area dreadful on dipped.

Both problems need a solution from MG. Both could have serious consequences.

Yet someone doing a long road trip to northern Scotland in one of the Trophy demo cars said the headlights were great - much better than other cars they'd driven. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, I've tried that.

I’ve tried that too. headlight leveller set at zero (2 front seat passengers only) and any other settings make it worse (by bringing the lit area closer). Out in the dark again this evening- avoided accidentally switching off the lights by touching only the end of the light stalk (will strap the switch with tape tomorrow) but lit area dreadful on dipped.

Both problems need a solution from MG. Both could have serious consequences.
@fidra do you have an SE or Trophy?

Lights on my Trophy are superb, better than any car I've had before, even my 2016 Qashqai which had really good LED lights.
I wonder if it is possible to adjust the headlights beyond the headlight leveller range? My Trophy replaces an e-golf with LED headlights and the difference is stark (The golf was far better). Are the Trophy dipped lights LED and if not can LED lights be fitted? Full beam is good. I’m in Scotland and at this time of year much of my driving is at night on rural roads. I understand the road lit distance on dipped should be about 50m. I’ve not attempted measurement but can’t believe I’m getting 50m!

I wonder if it is possible to adjust the headlights beyond the headlight leveller range? My Trophy replaces an e-golf with LED headlights and the difference is stark (The golf was far better). Are the Trophy dipped lights LED and if not can LED lights be fitted? Full beam is good. I’m in Scotland and at this time of year much of my driving is at night on rural roads. I understand the road lit distance on dipped should be about 50m. I’ve not attempted measurement but can’t believe I’m getting 50m!
I'm taking my Trophy in for the oil breather fix next week and I've asked if they will adjust my headlights as I find the reach of dipped beam far shorter than anything else I've driven.

Yes! Actually came here to make post about it so pleased I'm not the only one. Luckily the sidelights remained on so it wasn't pitch black (and there were no other cars nearby), but scared the life out of me. The toggle on the light stalk seems very easy to change when going between dipped and full beam.

Yes! Actually came here to make post about it so pleased I'm not the only one. Luckily the sidelights remained on so it wasn't pitch black (and there were no other cars nearby), but scared the life out of me. The toggle on the light stalk seems very easy to change when going between dipped and full beam.
I’ve stuck tape on the far side of the stalk over the “rear” of the switch. It was the rear part of the switch that my fingers were touching on changing between high and low beam. No issues since. I think it needs to be raised with MG. The dreadful design could have very serious consequence.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back