MG4 LR 2024 issues.

johna1992

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just leased an MG4 LR 24 reg. The issues with the software are ridiculous. So far they are -
  • Bluetooth not pairing for more than 1 journey and then refusing to pair again.
  • Adaptive cruise control switches itself off.
  • Radio refusing to work at all (DAB & FM)
  • Satnav trying to go unusual routes despite being selected as fastest.
  • Apple CarPlay randomly losing connection despite being plugged in.
  • Range nowhere near what was advertised.
  • Noisey drive on motorway.
  • Vibrating any speed above 40mph..
  • Unresponsive touch screen.
  • Too many controls done through unresponsive screen so reluctant to do much whilst driving.

Anyone else experiencing these issues too or have I just got a diff car?
Seeing the reviews for MG customer service doesn’t fill me with confidence that these issues will be solved anytime soon.

Just leased an MG4 LR 24 reg. The issues with the software are ridiculous. So far they are -
  • Bluetooth not pairing for more than 1 journey and then refusing to pair again.
  • Noisey drive on motorway.
  • Too many controls done through unresponsive screen so reluctant to do much whilst driving.

Anyone else experiencing these issues too or have I just got a diff car?
Seeing the reviews for MG customer service doesn’t fill me with confidence that these issues will be solved anytime soon.
Duff car, get rid of it if you can

I have the bluetooth issue - pairing to an S21 Ultra - maybe lasts 2 or 3 trips
Screen response isn't great, so with you, I try to avoid pressing anything when moving.
Radio sometimes does not start (probably 1 in 10 trips) and does not show any channels, other times it starts muted, other times it starts unmuted... no idea what the deciding factor is on that.
Range dropped over winter in the colder weather, when needing heaters on etc - getting better now - try turning off battery pre-heating if it is on.

Common, check for infotainment software version ask dealer for update. Trophy R46 is the latest available in the U.K. that I’m aware of. Describe this issue and they should do the update.
You’ll have to go into more detail here. In what circumstances? How do you enable it and then when does it switch off?
What do you mean by “refusing to work”? What do you do, and what happens?
All satnavs have their weirdnesses and often Waze takes me routes that seem utterly mad. Not much you can do about that one. I don’t use the in-car satnav - no need if using CarPlay.
Try different cables, use shorter cables. Clean your phone’s lightning port. People here bang on about using expensive branded ones but my Amazon Basics one works just fine.
More detail needed. What range do you expect? What range are you getting? What kind of journeys? Heating on? Uphill all the way both ways? What mi/kWh are you seeing on the display?
  • Noisy drive on motorway.
Talk to the dealer.
The touch screen is… frustrating (to me, at least!). It’s not the most responsive thing in the world but you get used to it. It commonly takes me 2-3 attempts to actually activate a button.
Yeah. That’s how it is. Set the car up before you start driving, set up your two star shortcuts to what you can if that’s useful. It will take a bit of time to get used to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the MG4!
I have a 2023 Trophy that’s just over a year old. I have had similar problems since the week that it was purchased. It has been back to the dealership 6 times. It has had every possible software update and a new infotainment screen fitted. Problems persist.
The most alarming issue is that on 2 occasions the car has done a totally unprovoked emergency stop, which was very alarming!
The dealership (Paul Rigby MG at Redditch) have been useless. MG UK have refused to take it back, even though I put in writing that I rejected the car if they could not fix it within the 6 month period.
It’s a well styled car which drives well most of the time, but the infotainment system and Apple CarPlay integration are totally rubbish.
I have now decided to sell the car and lose around £13k. Depreciation has been catastrophic, but the car is just not fit for purpose and has to go!
I have sent scores of emails and made dozens of calls to the dealer, to MG UK, including to the UK Aftersales Director, but they have all lost interest.
Good luck to the rest of you MG4 owners. Buying the Trophy was a very big mistake.

Welcome to the MG4!
I have a 2023 Trophy that’s just over a year old. I have had similar problems since the week that it was purchased. It has been back to the dealership 6 times. It has had every possible software update and a new infotainment screen fitted. Problems persist.
The most alarming issue is that on 2 occasions the car has done a totally unprovoked emergency stop, which was very alarming!
The dealership (Paul Rigby MG at Redditch) have been useless. MG UK have refused to take it back, even though I put in writing that I rejected the car if they could not fix it within the 6 month period.
It’s a well styled car which drives well most of the time, but the infotainment system and Apple CarPlay integration are totally rubbish.
I have now decided to sell the car and lose around £13k. Depreciation has been catastrophic, but the car is just not fit for purpose and has to go!
I have sent scores of emails and made dozens of calls to the dealer, to MG UK, including to the UK Aftersales Director, but they have all lost interest.
Good luck to the rest of you MG4 owners. Buying the Trophy was a very big mistake.
Have you considered the motor ombudsman to see if they can get MG to accept responsibility for the car not being fit for purpose? Thankfully my issues are mainly software and not like yours with random emergency stops that are very dangerous. £13k hit is completely unacceptable and MG need to step up.

I know it's of no help, but our '24 Luxury (UK Trophy) has been absolutely brilliant. We're only able to compare it quality wise against our last two cars - both Toyotas, a Land cruiser and a Rav4 - but when you consider what you get for the amount you pay it leaves them both standing. But - our dealer, Acai in Málaga, has applied all patches and updates as far as we know.

I suspect that part of the problem some people have is down to the dealership still thinking in "ICE" terms. These BEVs are much, much, more reliant on having software updates and patches applied - as opposed to an ICE sale where is "Bye - See you at the 24k service". Any dealer relectance or delay in applying these updates , I believe, has much more of a noticeable negative impact on BEV vehicle quality.

Tesla , with OTA updates, have a grip on this; MG with dealer only updates do not.

Welcome to the MG4!
Sorry to hear you have had problems.
This is Automatic Emergency Braking. You can easily turn it off by switching the Front Collision Assist setting to Alert, not Alert+AEB. Unfortunately that has to be done every journey, it won't remember the setting.

There are some car module updates that improve AEB and reduce the chances of a false positive. I am currently testing mine again after recent updates and no such events in the first month.
The dealership (Paul Rigby MG at Redditch) have been useless.
Sorry to hear that. The quality of dealers does vary. You can choose which dealer to take your car to for servicing and warranty work.
MG UK have refused to take it back, even though I put in writing that I rejected the car if they could not fix it within the 6 month period.
You have certain legal rights when it comes to rejection. Others know better than me the details, but you do have to be willing to be persistent to enforce them.
I don't agree with that assessment. Both work well on my car and did so before and after updates. Perhaps if you are more specific it would be clearer what you mean?
Early exit from a new car will always cost you dearly, especially if you sell back to a dealer as they then will need a cost and profit margin to take the car. Much better to sell on privately, although it takes more work.
Sorry to hear this. Communication is a weak point with MGUK and if paired with a bad dealer, that's never a good combination.
Thank you and good luck too. My Trophy is the best car I have ever owned.

I know it's of no help, but our '24 Luxury (UK Trophy) has been absolutely brilliant. We're only able to compare it quality wise against our last two cars - both Toyotas, a Land cruiser and a Rav4 - but when you consider what you get for the amount you pay it leaves them both standing. But - our dealer, Acai in Málaga, has applied all patches and updates as far as we know.

I suspect that part of the problem some people have is down to the dealership still thinking in "ICE" terms. These BEVs are much, much, more reliant on having software updates and patches applied - as opposed to an ICE sale where is "Bye - See you at the 24k service". Any dealer relectance or delay in applying these updates , I believe, has much more of a noticeable negative impact on BEV vehicle quality.

Tesla , with OTA updates, have a grip on this; MG with dealer only updates do not.
Totally agree. I have now put 15,000kms on my LR since sept. All updates applied and dealer here in my Aust city very proactive. No issues and love the car incl it's range (warmer climate here may of course be a massive benefit on range as is our relatively flat landscap). Not used a public charger since I bought it and average 60kms a day 7 days a week. Some longer trips with bike on the back as well.

Before you sell it for a big loss ... how did you pay for it in the first place? And what total price? (More or less than £30k)?

This is what you need to arm yourself with. I suggest you read it all, but pertinent parts are s19(14) in terms of time limit ... as you clearly reported the issues within 6 months then this applies irrespective of current time of ownership, and s24(5)(a) as you have given them more than one chance to repair.

Thanks for the various posts in response to mine.
I’ve simply had enough of the car and it has to go. Having to switch off safety features to make the car safe to drive makes no sense at all!

Thanks for the various posts in response to mine.
I’ve simply had enough of the car and it has to go. Having to switch off safety features to make the car safe to drive makes no sense at all!

I wish you luck:
From the Euro-NCAP ratings, 'To be eligible for scoring points in ELK [Emergency Lane Keeping], the ELK part of the LSS system needs to be default ON at the start of every journey and deactivation of the system should not be possible with a momentary single push on a button. '
While I share your frustrations (although we have not suffered all your problems with our 24 MG4 Trophy), I'm afraid the 'Nanny car' seems to be here to stay.
I too am concerned about MG Customer Service. However, my experience with a Honda main dealer and my neighbour's with Audi, indicates MG is not unique.

Please let us know how you get on with your next car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back