MG4 new owner - what cable should I buy?

Astroharmsy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
MG4 LR arrives on Friday, turned down the what sounded like an over-priced MG-branded cable, but now wondering what’s the best type-2 cable to buy? And from whom? New to all this, so presuming CCS cables at fast-chargers are hard-wired, so all I need is type-2-to-type-2, but is it worth going for the 3-phase version? And is 5 metres long enough? So many questions! Those who’ve already been-there and done-this can no doubt advise — thank you!

Finally, I have a tethered type-1 charger at home (from the dim and distant days when they were ‘giving them away’). I gather I can buy a type-1 to type-2 adapter — any advice on these greatly appreciated (so I can order in the next day or so).

Cheers!

Re. your 2nd question ... if you can stretch to it I'd recommend replacing your tethered cable (or at least the connector on it) for a Type 2 connector - I'm not one for using adaptors when you're talking about 6+kW of power transfer.

Re. your 1st question ... go for a 3-phase 32A cable. That way you'll be able to make full use of 22kW charge points (to charge at ~9.8kW due to the car's onboard charger) as well as 7kW charge points (to charge at up to 6.6kW like you would at home). 5m will almost certainly be enough.

Re. your 2nd question ... if you can stretch to it I'd recommend replacing your tethered cable (or at least the connector on it) for a Type 2 connector - I'm not one for using adaptors when you're talking about 6+kW of power transfer.
Thanks, it’s an early PodPoint, 3.7? kW only. Any ideas where I can get a replacement connector? Rather do that then convert.

Hi, as above get a sparky to change your type1 cable to a type2 of your required length.
Do you if you can change the setting to get it to 7kW? Can you get a picture of the inside?
CCS DC are Rapid chargers and all have tethered cable.
Do you know if you will be luckily enough to get a MG4 that will have a 3 phase socket and charger on board?

Re. your 1st question ... go for a 3-phase 32A cable. That way you'll be able to make full use of 22kW charge points (to charge at ~9.8kW due to the car's onboard charger) as well as 7kW charge points (to charge at up to 6.6kW like you would at home). 5m will almost certainly be enough.
That was my thinking too, as it will be no doubt even more useful in the future. Thanks so much. Any recommended retailers please?

Hi, as above get a sparky to change your type1 cable to a type2 of your required length.
Do you if you can change the setting to get it to 7kW? Can you get a picture of the inside?
Do you know if you will be luckily enough to get a MG4 that will have a 3 phase socket and charger on board?
Thanks, will look into swapping charger head. Hadn’t thought about internal spec of charger, will have to investigate! MG4 3-phase on board, no idea, I will ask… cheers!

I can't make any recommendations, sorry - I was lucky enough to get my cable via the Tesla app.

Recent LR MG4s (SE LR, Trophy LR) have been coming with 3-phase onboard chargers - you can confirm this by seeing physical pins in the L2 and L3 slots of the Type 2 charge port on the car.

I bought my Type 2 3-phase 5m 22kW cable from these guys. Not the cheapest but it arrived promptly and is well made.

I bought my Type 2 3-phase 5m 22kW cable from these guys. Not the cheapest but it arrived promptly and is well made.

Thanks - they’ve sold out of 5m cables of that type… :-(

Things to bear in mind.
Three phase cable is noticeably heavier than single phase.
Longer cables can impact on charging times as the longer cable brings on more resistance.
32 amp cable is best for single phase charging.

These guys are good too. Got a granny lead from them when I bought a Zoe, instead of paying Renault £500 for theirs.

MG4 LR arrives on Friday, turned down the what sounded like an over-priced MG-branded cable, but now wondering what’s the best type-2 cable to buy? And from whom? New to all this, so presuming CCS cables at fast-chargers are hard-wired, so all I need is type-2-to-type-2, but is it worth going for the 3-phase version? And is 5 metres long enough? So many questions! Those who’ve already been-there and done-this can no doubt advise — thank you!

Finally, I have a tethered type-1 charger at home (from the dim and distant days when they were ‘giving them away’). I gather I can buy a type-1 to type-2 adapter — any advice on these greatly appreciated (so I can order in the next day or so).

Cheers!
I went for type 2-type2 cheapest I could find for £100 on e bay 7mts long works a treat don’t need 3 phase unless you are on commercial supply.hope this helps

lly, I have a tethered type-1 charger at home (from the dim and distant days when they were ‘giving them away’). I gather I can buy a type-1 to type-2 adapter — any advice on these greatly appreciated (so I can order in the next day or so).

Cheers!
Some people buy a 10m cable in case a public charger is blocked ( userley by a ice ) but I've never had that problem so 5m is sufficient just make sure it's a 32amp. Amazon have a good selection.

I went for type 2-type2 cheapest I could find for £100 on e bay 7mts long works a treat don’t need 3 phase unless you are on commercial supply.hope this helps
Are the ‘fast’ chargers at motorway service stations (etc.) not going to ‘want’ 3-phase though? Or are they all CCS? Thanks.

OK, so I’ve been doing some digging around, and the MG4 LR and Trophy (I’ve ordered the LR) has 3-phase charging built-in, allowing 11 kW charging. So I’d best order a heavier cable. ;-)

Source: MG4: a guide to charging the affordable EV hatchback

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel