I also have a charging problem with my MG4 LR

Car 1250 miles, just under 1 year old (3rd May 2023). I noticed a couple of times recently (last few months) the car didn't appear to have charged. I assumed I had made a mistake, as these were just small top up charges. Before that the car worked flawlessly for big and top up charges. The 1st service came due and I went to charge it for the 70 mile round trip, it was at 60% and it wouldn't charge properly. For the 1 or 2 min it will stay connected, it does put charge into the traction battery.

It would start charging on the 7.2kW Rolec wall box, then after a couple of minutes or a bit less, stop charging. I tried:
  • Neighbours wall box (pod point), won't charge my MG4, my neighbour has an MG4 EV LR Trophy
  • My old BMW Granny charger
  • MG Granny charger
  • Limiting to lower charge amperage
  • Locking unlocking, resetting..ensuring timed charge wasn't on etc.. etc..nothing worked it will not charge
Before the software update at the first service I would get the odd yellow HV battery symbol sometimes, but it would almost immediately clear. 12V battery is fine (I also always put it on charge for a small top up and drive on short journeys regularly)

Got it to the dealer for the 1st service, software update done, I told em about the charging problems and could they try it. Instead I got the car back with the, were sure it will charge OK now we have done the update, if not contact us. Worryingly the car had shown no fault codes relating to charging, or anything else!

Got home, battery on about 54%, plugged it in and 2min later, it stopped charging, won't charge on either of the 2 granny chargers (MG and BMW I have either. The unhelpful message on the infotainment screen when it stops now is "charging stopped, no abnormal cause" This would lead me to believe it's still not logging any fault codes and the car is just stopping the charge for some reason. If I keep trying and restart the charge, doing that constantly might get a few% in after some hours.

I managed to get it back to the dealers (there's only me in my house and one car), where it's awaiting diagnostics (scheduled for Friday). I managed to get a friend to drive a 70 mile round trip to pick me up from the dealer. My car is effectively as useful as house brick, it can't be termed a car because it's not usable.

Obviously they tried the old wall box faulty, not compatible whatever, but that's simply BS as I tried everything above, it clearly isn't my wall box and my neighbours MG4 charges perfectly on it. I don't have a courtesy car and I am not sure when and if I can get one (this is the dealer I bought it from). I also don't have a huge amount of confidence that it will be solved quickly, but I live in hope.

It's not great when you pay 29K for a car (cash) and within 1 year, it becomes unusable, especially as you do it to get reliability and peace of mind for the warranty period. Loan cars are only if you're lucky it seems and MG UK couldn't care less. I feel like I have more comeback when purchasing a fridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, Dave. I could wish you were joining without a problem to relate, but hopefully it's something that can and will be fixed.

Is your car one of the ones without a rear wiper? These seem to be the ones prone to this charging issue that is eventually fixed by replacing the CCU, and it sounds very like the symptoms. Have a read through the thread where this problem was first identified.

I also have a charging problem with my MG4 LR

Car 1250 miles, just under 1 year old (3rd May 2023). I noticed a couple of times recently (last few months) the car didn't appear to have charged. I assumed I had made a mistake, as these were just small top up charges. Before that the car worked flawlessly for big and top up charges. The 1st service came due and I went to charge it for the 70 mile round trip, it was at 60% and it wouldn't charge properly. For the 1 or 2m it will stay connected, it does put charge into the traction battery.

It would start charging on the 7.2kW Rolec wall box, then after a couple of minutes or a bit less, stop charging. I tried:
  • Neighbours wall box (pod point), won't charge my MG4, my neighbour has an MG4 EV LR Trophy
  • My old BMW Granny charger
  • MG Granny charger
  • Limiting to lower charge amperage
  • Locking unlocking, resetting..ensuring timed charge wasn't on etc.. etc..nothing worked it will not charge
Before the software update at the first service I would get the odd yellow HV battery symbol sometimes, but it would almost immediately clear. 12V battery is fine (I also always put it on charge for a small top up and drive on short journeys regularly)

Got it to the dealer for the 1st service, software update done, I told em about the charging problems and could they try it. Instead I got the car back with the, were sure it will charge OK now we have done the update, if not contact us. Worryingly the car had shown no fault codes relating to charging, or anything else!

Got home, battery on about 54%, plugged it in and 2m later, it stopped charging, won't charge on either of the 2 granny chargers (MG and BMW I have either. The unhelpful message on the infotainment screen when it stops now is "charging stopped, no abnormal cause" This would lead me to believe it's still not logging any fault codes and the car is just stopping the charge for some reason. If I keep trying and restart the charge, doing that constantly might get a few% in after some hours.

I managed to get it back to the dealers (there's only me in my house and one car), where it's awaiting diagnostics (scheduled for Friday). I managed to get a friend to drive a 70 mile round trip to pick me up from the dealer. My car is effectively as useful as house brick, it can't be termed a car because it's not usable.

Obviously they tried the old wall box faulty, not compatible whatever, but that's simply BS as I tried everything above, it clearly isn't my wall box and my neighbours MG4 charges perfectly on it. I don't have a courtesy car and I am not sure when and if I can get one (this is the dealer I bought it from). I also don't have a huge amount of confidence that it will be solved quickly, but I live in hope.

It's not great when you pay 29K for a car (cash) and within 1 year, it becomes unusable, especially as you do it to get reliability and peace of mind for the warranty period. Loan cars are only if you're lucky it seems and MG UK couldn't care less. I feel like I have more comeback when purchasing a fridge.
Yes, sounds very much like you need a replacement CCU. The good news is they are readily available in the UK, it is just a matter of pushing your dealer to get MG to authorise the replacement, then it should be fixed. Usually DC charging still works, and so with that when this happened to me I was able to get by with public charging and not need a courtesy car.

Nobody likes have a major problem with their new car, but EV tech is still maturing and several makers have had CCU issues recently, not just MG.

Welcome to the forum, Dave. I could wish you were joining without a problem to relate, but hopefully it's something that can and will be fixed.

Is your car one of the ones without a rear wiper? These seem to be the ones prone to this charging issue that is eventually fixed by replacing the CCU, and it sounds very like the symptoms. Have a read through the thread where this problem was first identified.

Mine does not have a rear wiper

I think you have the CCU issue. Lots of information in the linked thread. A lot of people have had it and I'm getting a bit suspicious that all MY22 LR cars are going to get it.

As @tsedge says, the good news is that it has happened to so many people that the required part is now readily available and it should be a fairly straightforward fix once your dealer catches on to what is going on.

Attachments

• 20240429_135944.jpg
    20240429_135944.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 9
I'm right in the middle of having this specific issue fixed. My car went in on Monday this week and had the software updated (which cured a few unrelated issues, so I was pleased about that)!

Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. The dealer ordered a new CCU on Monday. They rang today to tell me it has arrived and I'm booked in next Thursday for them to fit it.

Apart from the issue itself, getting it resolved has (so far) been very easy.

I'm right in the middle of having this specific issue fixed. My car went in on Monday this week and had the software updated (which cured a few unrelated issues, so I was pleased about that)!

Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. The dealer ordered a new CCU on Monday. They rang today to tell me it has arrived and I'm booked in next Thursday for them to fit it.

Apart from the issue itself, getting it resolved has (so far) been very easy.
Exactly the same initial experience as me, service, software update, said it would all be good... it wasn't. However had they tried for just 3 minutes to charge it, as I requested, it would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Mine will have its diagnostics done tomorrow, I have sent them some information I learned from this forum, so fingers crossed, after tomorrow they can order parts and then fit them as quickly as you have experienced.

My main difficulty is because the dealer is a 72 mile round trip from me, with very poor public transport links from where I live to them. So bad that it would cost the same to get an Uber as to try and get there by public transport e.g. £60 ish.

I do have a local dealer 7 miles from me in Slyfield Industrial Estate Guildford....Richmond MG, which was my nominated service plan dealership.... but that's a whole other story, for another time.

I had a similar issue with mine. Not as far in distance as yours but I have a pukka MG dealer 4 miles from my house. They are not part of the Octopus salary sacrifice "fleet assist" network, the closest there being 20 miles each way.

Octopus, to their credit, arranged with MG UK for my car to be seen at my local garage, including a courtesy car.

And my local MG garage are absolutely brilliant too, so I'm really chuffed.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back