MG4 only : we're using more than 200kWh / week

.... it looks like we have been moved from the MG4 forum... but it is true 200 KWH / week (standard home + 1000 miles / month!) - clearly in the summer, with a bit of sun, its going to be way less - but equally dont get rid of your old ICE vehicle (albeit in the winter?? - maybe? )

Last edited:
.... it looks like we have been moved from the MG4 forum...
I moved it because it was unclear what point you were trying to make. You said 200kWh for car and house. Quote the car consumption alone if you want it to be about the car :)

I moved it because it was unclear what point you were trying to make. You said 200kWh for car and house. Quote the car consumption alone if you want it to be about the car :)
.... but it isn't - sorry Alb - but I'm not understading your actions? (its via the MG4, incl. V2L/V2H), anyway upto yourself! - all via a VE Multiplus II (PM sent, as to how an MG4 can power a car / house) - all - please forget (whilst it is over 200KWH / week, it only costs £9 / week, anyway all kept away from this forum)

Last edited:
my records are showing that the AC-DC conversion (or visa versa, as Im using the MG4 to power the home- which I have not noted todate!), are around 10% or less, the main thing here is external temp. (its looking like 1-2KWH loss per Deg. Cel. /hour?), maybe I need to be corrcted here?
How are you using V2L to power the home?

I'm using a little over 200kWh a week at the moment, including charging - but my mileage isn't that great. I have some solar panels but they're not contributing much this month.

I've been paring down electricity use for some years now and I don't think I can get it lower. Charging the car is pretty variable - some weeks a lot, some not much, but I don't think 200 kWh is that bad for a normal house with EV.

Are you also heating with that? I'm not.

We use between 5 and 6 kWh per day. :) for the home so 35-40 per week, excluding car charging.

Unfortunately the gas bill for heating and hot water lately is somewhat extortionate.

Quick and dirty - over the last 7 days I've used 55 kWh on my day rate and 122 kWh on the cheap 4 hours. That includes washing machine, dishwasher, car, kettle etc (cheap rate from 21:30 so some of my TV watching too!!)

In the same 7 days my panels have generated 17.8 kWh (coining me about £11.60 in FIT etc) . The goes towards general house running but any excess goes to immersion. Without standing charge my electricity was £28.40. In the same period my gas was £34, which was pretty good considering how cold it was.

All costs exclude standing charges but include VAT.

I use around 230 kWh a week (in winter). About 65% of which is car charging. I just looked at the ‘cosy octopus’ rates and for me -
Day rate:

33.73p / kWh​

Cosy rate (04:00 - 07:00 & 13:00 - 16:00):

20.23p / kWh​

Peak rate (16:00 - 19:00):

53.96p / kWh​

Standing charge:

47.5p / day​

I think you’ll need to be very sure of how much and when to sign up, but I have not looked in any detail.
This tariff is aimed at Heat Pump households to be fair and the Cosy Rate of 20.23 p with COP of 3 makes it 6.74 p/kWh of heating. Then avoid running the ASHP during the Peak Rate 53.96 p period you are beating the cost of Gas at 10 p+

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom