MG4 Phone Bumper - 3D printed

dsimpkins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
One of my hobbies is 3D printing. I've designed a new phone bumper for my MG4 EV to stop my phone from sliding off the factory phone mat, which can happen if being a bit too enthusiastic when cornering.

My design is based on Tim Holzhausen's design for an MG4 phone railing which is in another thread on this forum (his can be found on the Printables website), but I designed this version from scratch in Fusion 360 for a better fit in the car as I found the Tim's original design made it difficult for the car's phone mat to stay in place. The biggest difference is the base of the phone bumper, it's chamfered to fit around the edge of the console, and the mat sandwiches it in place, instead of being flat on the bottom.

Below is a picture of it in the car, I used 3D Tomorrow Supernova Red filament (it has a bit of sparkle in it, and looks great in the sun) You can guess what colour my car is ;-) I've added a link to the STL file on Thingiverse if anyone else has a 3D printer and wants to make one themselves.

MG Phone bumper in car wide.jpg
MG4 Phone Bumper - Thingiverse

Could you share a photo of it not in situ? Interested to see the detail.
Here's some photos of it out of the car. Hopefully these give you an indication of how the mat sits inside in. The chamfered bottom edges then push against edge of recessed section of the console, and the bumper gets sandwiched between the edge of the console and the mat.

Attachments

• MG Phone Bumper and Mat bottom.jpg
    MG Phone Bumper and Mat bottom.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 146
  • MG Phone Bumper Top Front.jpg
    MG Phone Bumper Top Front.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 137
  • MG Phone Bumper Top Back.jpg
    MG Phone Bumper Top Back.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 151
  • MG Phone Bumper Bottom Front.jpg
    MG Phone Bumper Bottom Front.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 147
  • MG Phone Bumper Bottom Back.jpg
    MG Phone Bumper Bottom Back.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 140
  • MG Phone Bumper and Mat bottom.jpg
    MG Phone Bumper and Mat bottom.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 139
It could be done if there were no element of profit involved but Stuart would need to agree.

Well I'm very glad I didn't make one of these for anyone else. As you can see it has warped due to the hot weather. Thought I might get away with using PLA due to position in car.

I will reprint with PETG filament as that has better strength and temperature resistance. Means it won't be sparkly red, but I only have boring colours in PETG. Unless I try printing with transparent PETG, that might be interesting?

Warped phone bumper.jpg

Well that's well and truly warped. Lasted less than a week.

Let's see how this one in transparent PETG (more like translucent) gets on instead.

Transparent PETG in car.jpg

Attachments

• Warped phone bumper 2.jpg
    Warped phone bumper 2.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 125
So the version I printed in clear PETG has survived this hot weather and did not warp. However, I've just replaced it with a new one I've printed in transparent red PETG. It has a great shine to it, photo doesn't show this very well. Happy with the end result, but getting this particular brand of filament to print successfully was a right pain!

MG Phone bumper RED PETG in car.jpg

So the version I printed in clear PETG has survived this hot weather and did not warp. However, I've just replaced it with a new one I've printed in transparent red PETG. It has a great shine to it, photo doesn't show this very well. Happy with the end result, but getting this particular brand of filament to print successfully was a right pain!

View attachment 19118
looks great. i'm about to try petg, would you be willing to share your settings/findings as ive been struggling to get a petg print on my geetech a20m?

looks great. i'm about to try petg, would you be willing to share your settings/findings as ive been struggling to get a petg print on my geetech a20m?
I keep my print settings for PETG almost the same as my setting for PLA. I increase nozzle temperature to 230 degrees C, and bed temperature to 70 degrees C. Other than that, I keep the print speed reasonable at 50mm/s with a slow first layer speed (10mm/s). Layer height 0.2mm. Using a 0.4mm nozzle.

I keep my print settings for PETG almost the same as my setting for PLA. I increase nozzle temperature to 230 degrees C, and bed temperature to 70 degrees C. Other than that, I keep the print speed reasonable at 50mm/s with a slow first layer speed (10mm/s). Layer height 0.2mm. Using a 0.4mm nozzle.
Thanks I’ll try that out.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 483 78.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel