MG4 Rear Wing

Calm as

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Does anyone know what the advantage of the rear wing or spoiler has? Is there any data from MG with the drag coefficient difference with and without?
I assume as the higher spec cars have them and it's an advantage but i was wondering if that was really the case or it just "looks good"
I am asking as... and some may know... on Aliexpress there are heaps of trim bits and some handy things like rubber boot mats etc etc... they also have the rear wing.
I wouldn't bother with the wing unless it actually gave me a few extra kms from the battery on the motorway.

Weight is a factor... the 51kw car is the lightest and the LR is aprox 100kgs heavier, with the others between that... so this will also contribute to the range. If there was coefficient drag numbers with and without that would give us a better idea.

I am sort of hoping that it is slippy with the spoiler and they dropped the spoiler and other features to bring the cost into the BYD etc $ market.

Normally lip spoilers reduce drag. It was added to the uk-spec rx-8 to improve fuel economy.
The SE has a lip spoiler most likely to the same effect.

Normally lip spoilers reduce drag. It was added to the uk-spec rx-8 to improve fuel economy.
The SE has a lip spoiler most likely to the same effect.
So the 51kw has a different lower spoiler with an extra lip to the other models with the high spoiler?

When we test drove and when we picked ours up I didn't get to see the higher versions... so I assumed they where the same.

Ok yeah I see... lol I just assumed they where the same without the high spoiler... so yeah maybe they end up with the same drag numbers?

But if this was a petrol head form, I can see where some would say "having both would make it faster".... lol... without and facts.

indeed we can only assume the differences are significant enough for MG to spend money on it.
Looking cool is a way of selling more cars.
I once owned a WRX STI coupe. The seagull catcher actually created lift and drag, cost about 5hp (the same as running the aircon).
Never assume a car company does things for the greater good 😉

I thought rear spoilers were to increase downward force on the rear wheels therefore increasing traction at speed? Why would people think they are there to increase fuel efficiency? they have the opposite effect.

I thought rear spoilers were to increase downward force on the rear wheels therefore increasing traction at speed? Why would people think they are there to increase fuel efficiency? they have the opposite effect.
Problem is, a road car doesn't have the suspension to handle down force. So the best you can hope for is a neutral wing, that reduces drag.
I'm being a bit harsh on subaru, the wing didn't cause 5hp drag, but Prodrive did an after market wing that was neutral, and saved 5hp.
I suppose what I'm saying is, if your after an after market aero kit, get one from a reputable tuning company (not Aliexpress).
I'm not aware of such a kit for the mg4

I think it's because there's a difference between a rear spoiler and a rear wing (a la F1 car).

A lip spoiler will usually reduce drag by diminishing the low-pressure area behind the vehicle when it's moving at speed.

The rear wing is a more elaborate affair, and is there to increase downforce - at the expense of drag.

Sort of. But this one isn't shaped correctly for that, it may even create lift (the opposite of downforce). The only purpose it could have is to look nice.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back