MG4 Rejected

D

Deleted member 11500

So, after 3.5 weeks of ownership, I finally returned the car for a refund. First it was the oil leak, with oil over my brand new drive. I resolved that with the dealer and received a goodwill payment from them, rather than reject it at that point (at my request). I booked the car in for it to be fixed, but then, as I was waiting for that I got locked in the car. After initially laughing this off, it started to get to me, as climbing out of a car in a supermarket car-park, with the horn blaring was not really what I wanted to be doing, not at my age, not at any age. I then rejected the car and the dealer arranged for it to be picked up. Thankfully, it has now gone, it is on the way back to them, as I type.

Each to their own, I have read on here about people fixing the under-tray themselves, I read people saying that 'all new cars have issues', and whilst that might be true, I didn't work hard to buy a car that leaks oil on my brand new drive-way and nor do I find it acceptable to have to climb out of the back door. I certainly wouldn't consider fixing the under-tray myself, even though I wouldn't find it hard to do.

Other issues with the car, well the seat covering is rucked up, the quality is poor, it looks as if it is a black-dyed sack cloth. The charging, well it seems to do as it likes and if it does charge, it's to 100% and not the 80% that I set it at...not only that, but it chooses to charge at the high rate, not the set rate after midnight. The under-tray bulge, who knows, I haven't looked under the car since the oil leak, it might have happened, I really couldn't care less, it just had to go.

I'm not trying to sway any opinions, I hope those who are happy with their car, remain so and have many years of trouble-free motoring, but this is my perspective.

So, after 3.5 weeks of ownership, I finally returned the car for a refund. First it was the oil leak, with oil over my brand new drive. I resolved that with the dealer and received a goodwill payment from them, rather than reject it at that point (at my request). I booked the car in for it to be fixed, but then, as I was waiting for that I got locked in the car. After initially laughing this off, it started to get to me, as climbing out of a car in a supermarket car-park, with the horn blaring was not really what I wanted to be doing, not at my age, not at any age. I then rejected the car and the dealer arranged for it to be picked up. Thankfully, it has now gone, it is on the way back to them, as I type.

Each to their own, I have read on here about people fixing the under-tray themselves, I read people saying that 'all new cars have issues', and whilst that might be true, I didn't work hard to buy a car that leaks oil on my brand new drive-way and nor do I find it acceptable to have to climb out of the back door. I certainly wouldn't consider fixing the under-tray myself, even though I wouldn't find it hard to do.

Other issues with the car, well the seat covering is rucked up, the quality is poor, it looks as if it is a black-dyed sack cloth. The charging, well it seems to do as it likes and if it does charge, it's to 100% and not the 80% that I set it at...not only that, but it chooses to charge at the high rate, not the set rate after midnight. The under-tray bulge, who knows, I haven't looked under the car since the oil leak, it might have happened, I really couldn't care less, it just had to go.

I'm not trying to sway any opinions, I hope those who are happy with their car, remain so and have many years of trouble-free motoring, but this is my perspective.
As I said when you posted before - once your confidence in the car has gone then move on. Pleased that you got it sorted and good luck with your next car.

No one can blame you for rejecting that car. A very unfortunate experience for you. What is your plan now.

I am not yet sure what to do. An EV is out of the question though. My 240 mile drive from the dealership with a starting charge of 60% was very stressful! I had to stop twice to charge and I was driving with the heating off, because I was worried about getting to the next charger at one point.

This wasn't an MG problem though, this was me thinking that long-range drives in an EV in winter, with limited range was a good idea. It truly isn't. It was the most stressed I have ever been whilst driving...I spent more time looking at the range than I did the road!! This is my 3rd EV and whilst they make me smile, they are really not the best on long journeys, they are better suited to around town, in fact, they are perfect for that. They are getting there, but they aren't really there yet.

As Cosijo said, I lost confidence in the car and after that, well there was only one option. I have not been impressed with MG and this forum has played a large part in that. I know that forums are sometimes a place for those who want to moan about a purchase and that many thousands may be happy and not on the forums, but the issues with the cars are growing by the day.

My trophy went back for the last time today too. I stuck it out for 3 months but with all the issues I’ve encountered since the very start - I had completely lost confidence and didn’t drive it all for the last 2 weeks. I think mine may have been a ‘Friday night’ car but MG have their heads in the sand and are not listening or communicating well with their dealers and certainly not their customers & denied all our issues were issues at all. Our dealer was professional and helpful all through the process but I’m glad it Is now over. It is a really great car but my word they have a lot to sort out.

I am not yet sure what to do. An EV is out of the question though. My 240 mile drive from the dealership with a starting charge of 60% was very stressful! I had to stop twice to charge and I was driving with the heating off, because I was worried about getting to the next charger at one point.

This wasn't an MG problem though, this was me thinking that long-range drives in an EV in winter, with limited range was a good idea. It truly isn't. It was the most stressed I have ever been whilst driving...I spent more time looking at the range than I did the road!! This is my 3rd EV and whilst they make me smile, they are really not the best on long journeys, they are better suited to around town, in fact, they are perfect for that. They are getting there, but they aren't really there yet.

As Cosijo said, I lost confidence in the car and after that, well there was only one option. I have not been impressed with MG and this forum has played a large part in that. I know that forums are sometimes a place for those who want to moan about a purchase and that many thousands may be happy and not on the forums, but the issues with the cars are growing by the day.
just as well you didn't buy an ID.3, then...
(I impulse-sold our id.3 after 3 months when, with the screen totally opaque with condensation, the cabin heating simply refused to initiate, resulting in a zero-degree 35 mile drive home with the windows open, lol.) Got an sesr instead, which is all-round definitely a better car, imo, despite its reasonable share of introductory-phase bugs.
Perhaps try to bear-in-mind that, as a solution to your range anxiety, buying a new hybrid may cost you dearly in terms of depreciation, as their bubble bursts in the next year or two. Hydrogen - lol. No easy solutions here, maybe.
Good luck whichever way you go; it's an interesting time of change.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back