MG4 Restricted speed - weird

I wondered that too.But it's possible it's more than that.
In any case it seemed to have worked.

I suppose if driving modes are adjustable via the screen, a factory reset also does the ECU.
Don’t know whether to try that.
Scared the lane assist, that stays off just now, needs resetting every journey!

40% battery, indicated 61/62mph, foot to the floor.
I’ve got it on video, dark but you can clearly hear me repeatedly hammering the throttle to the floor and see the Speedo not budging.
I’m reporting it to the dealer tomorrow, getting it booked in.

40% battery, indicated 61/62mph, foot to the floor.
I’ve got it on video, dark but you can clearly hear me repeatedly hammering the throttle to the floor and see the Speedo not budging.
I’m reporting it to the dealer tomorrow, getting it booked in
Does the car perform normally when accelerating up to 60 mph and then not go any faster?

Does the car perform normally when accelerating up to 60 mph and then not go any faster?

No, acceleration is worse than normal and it’s lumpy, not smooth.
It’s not crawling like it’s on limp mode though, it just feels like it’s lost around 70bhp, it’s accelerating like a 90bhp car, then just stopping at 61/62mph.
Regen braking is also all over the place, not consistent at all, sometimes none and sometimes full.

TBH I think my car has been down on power since new, at all times.
It’s never felt like a 168bhp car and the loan MG5 I got one time felt like a rocket in comparison.

No, acceleration is worse than normal and it’s lumpy, not smooth.
It’s not crawling like it’s on limp mode though, it just feels like it’s lost around 70bhp, it’s accelerating like a 90bhp car, then just stopping at 61/62mph.
Regen braking is also all over the place, not consistent at all, sometimes none and sometimes full.

TBH I think my car has been down on power since new, at all times.
It’s never felt like a 168bhp car and the loan MG5 I got one time felt like a rocket in comparison.
Have you tried the restore?

No and I don’t intend to.
I want the dealer to try a fix, so that any repeat of the fault can result in me being able to reject it.
I think you are right to let the dealer try and sort it because even if you do end up rejecting the car the fault is logged with MG and there is nothing worse than trying to correct a fault that's not showing at the time.

A small thought (aren't all mine) which relates to a brief 'adventure ' with my mk1 ZS EV: can you check brake wear? I had a week where my auto brake would bind on and not release properly. Electronically the car was not at fault but one brake pad was getting jammed (that'll teach me to take it to the beach) and gave some of the symptoms described - very slow acceleration; high power consumption; light vibration. Fortunately for me it was intermittent, coming on when I was pulling away from stationary - which was a clue. Unfortunately for me it was intermittent, coming on when I was pulling away which led to a couple of brown trouser moments. I was able to clear the problem with a high pressure hose, washing out the sand, I think. Also, on a couple of occasions I was able to stop, brake, reverse, brake and drive on successfully.

The MG4 has discs front and rear so it is unlikely to be sand but, do you have a binding brake? its a long shot.

A small thought (aren't all mine) which relates to a brief 'adventure ' with my mk1 ZS EV: can you check brake wear? I had a week where my auto brake would bind on and not release properly. Electronically the car was not at fault but one brake pad was getting jammed (that'll teach me to take it to the beach) and gave some of the symptoms described - very slow acceleration; high power consumption; light vibration. Fortunately for me it was intermittent, coming on when I was pulling away from stationary - which was a clue. Unfortunately for me it was intermittent, coming on when I was pulling away which led to a couple of brown trouser moments. I was able to clear the problem with a high pressure hose, washing out the sand, I think. Also, on a couple of occasions I was able to stop, brake, reverse, brake and drive on successfully.

The MG4 has discs front and rear so it is unlikely to be sand but, do you have a binding brake? its a long shot.

It’s absolutely not that.
Brake binding wouldn’t give the ‘brick wall’ effect I and others are experiencing.
It’s definitely an electronic limitation.

Does the car 'acknowledge' that by showing reduced power in the power meter? Or does it display full power even though it's not?

A very good point I failed to mention.
The video shows the wee ‘power circle’ only displaying 37%, even though my foot is hard down.
I’ll try and attach the video, see if people agree it appears to be a max of 37%.
Excuse my obvious annoyance in the video, there’s no swearing I promise.

Can you attach videos….???

Last edited:
A very good point I failed to mention.
The video shows the wee ‘power circle’ only displaying 37%, even though my foot is hard down.
I’ll try and attach the video, see if people agree it appears to be a max of 37%.
Excuse my obvious annoyance in the video, there’s no swearing I promise.

Can you attach videos….???
Only GIFs can be attached as moving pictures 😉
Alternatively you have to upload elsewhere and link it.

I had this same issue with restricted power as everyone knows lol I have rejected my car back to finance n garage n see what happens.but had a report that a technical ticket has been opened for this issue of restricted speed I also filmed what was happening very slow speed uptake from 25mph as I say the car has been rejected but will keep everyone updated on response from mg in regards to speed throttling

Only GIFs can be attached as moving pictures 😉
Alternatively you have to upload elsewhere and link it.

Damn, I’m really not that social media literate to create a link to it.
Never mind, I’ve shown a few people and they all agree the ‘power circle’ doesn’t go any higher than 37% as I’m furiously stamping on the throttle.

Damn, I’m really not that social media literate to create a link to it.
Never mind, I’ve shown a few people and they all agree the ‘power circle’ doesn’t go any higher than 37% as I’m furiously stamping on the throttle.
That pretty much seals it. It MUST be an electronic problem limiting the power demand to the 37%. Maybe it's getting the wrong SOC data from the battery, although you did mention the display shows the charge ok? If that were me, I'd definitely be leaning toward a software glitch.

I haven’t read completely through the thread, but I assume we’ve tried resetting everything including removed the 12v battery -ve terminal?

I haven’t read completely through the thread, but I assume we’ve tried resetting everything including removed the 12v battery -ve terminal?

I’m not doing anything myself, I’m getting the dealer to do it so the fault is logged.
And if there’s a repeat, I have recourse

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel