MG4 SE Long Range charge top-up

Tony60

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hello, First Post.
My car is currently at 72% and I'm wanting to charge it to 100% as I'm going on a long Journey tomorrow and I'm wanting to avoid charging it on the way. I've set it to long range and plugged the car into my home charger, switched off the scheduled charging but the car is refusing to charge. I've tried with the app and in the car. I was thinking it might not not want to charge until it's dropped below a certain percentage. Has anyone experienced similar and found a workaround?
Thanks

Welcome!

I’ve had mine not charge if the car is unlocked. After lock it normally starts after about 30 seconds.

If it was in battery care mode it would stop at 80% not 72% so it won’t be refusing until it goes below a certain level.

Scheduled charging switched off, car locked. The lead was fine on Sunday night but I'll just finish this cup of tea and try the granny charger. I'll report shortly. Thanks for replies

Tried with granny charger, now charging. I used the DC charger Sunday and it was fine?? When I plug it in the car display says connecting then fails to charge. Maybe an intermittent fault with the lead, not happened before (had the car since November). One other thing tried the granny charger with an extension lead first and it wouldn't work, is that normal?

Does your home charger have a schedule, and could that be stopping it from charging?

I've used granny charger with an extension lead without issue. However I bought one designed to work with a granny charger due to the sustained high current. Regular extension leads are likely to get hot, and the plug top at the wall socket may melt.

Thanks dsimpkins, no it's a projectEV charger and I don't use an app with it. It's worked fine since November. I'll try a continuity check on the cable pins and see if I can find any faults on the cable.

Interesting, we have a few of those chargers at work, although some are 22kW not 7kW. They can have a charging schedule I believe as there was a complaint from someone that they don't work at certain times.

That is interesting, because this is the first time I've tried to use it during the evening. I normally charge late evening because I have a discounted tariff with British Gas. I'll try later tonight, but I've never set up a schedule on it myself. Thanks again

That is interesting, because this is the first time I've tried to use it during the evening. I normally charge late evening because I have a discounted tariff with British Gas. I'll try later tonight, but I've never set up a schedule on it myself. Thanks again
If your charger was a recent install, then I think it communicates with your provider to schedule the charge to balance the load on their network.

You're correct, just plugged in and now charging. I need to reach out to the support team to get help with connecting the app. I think I'll be able to amend the settings once I'm connected. 🤞Thanks for your help 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back