MG4 SE LR - existing owners and outstanding orders

pharrison84

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
The SE LR seems on the face of it, reading these forums, to be the least popular of the 3 models currently available in the UK.

It's the one we've had on order with Chorley Group since first week of November, and we were advised a 12 week wait, but they were optimistic about it being quicker (appreciate that was probably just sales patter).

Emailed a week ago and was told 12 weeks still the expectation (so end of Jan). However given that it appears to be just luck of the draw what models the dealerships get, and that there seem to be so few SE LR in existence, I'm not at all confident. Wondering whether to try and find the extra for a Trophy.

Interested to hear from those who are already driving the SE LR:
  • when did you order and then receive the car?
  • are you experiencing some of the commonly reported issues e.g bulge, software problems etc?

And those that have ordered but still await the SE LR how long have you been waiting? Have you got any specifics such as VIN number yet, vehicle location etc?

Hi

I've had a white SE LR on order since end August (virtually as soon as they were available to order) and I'm still told its "TBA" for delivery. I'm in no particular rush, so I've not been pushing the dealer

And those that have ordered but still await the SE LR how long have you been waiting?
I ordered the SE LR at the end of October (via Salary Sacrifice) but when the estimated delivery was pushed back to September I switched to a SE SR which is due end of February.

Hi @pharrison84

I was given an estimated delivery date for my SE LR of January 20th, when I paid the deposit for it on September 20th, so a possible 16 week wait. I haven’t asked my dealer for any updates, but I’ll probably ring them nearer the time to check on the status of the order.

By the way, it was this review of the long range which led me to this forum and ordering my first electric vehicle. Watching this made me think the LR gave me the best value for money:

I ordered the SE LR at the end of October (via Salary Sacrifice) but when the estimated delivery was pushed back to September I switched to a SE SR which is due end of February.
September, 2023?! 😳 Were you given any reasons for such a lengthy estimated delivery?

September, 2023?! 😳 Were you given any reasons for such a lengthy estimated delivery?
Not really and I didn't ask. They did make it clear that it was a very rough estimate.

I think SS and PCH cars get pushed back to the end of the queue which is fair enough. They explained that they had some black SE LR's which were pre-ordered and available about the same time as the SE SR's but I wasn't interested. They also said the Trophy was available sooner but, same answer... no thanks.

I ordered mine at the beginning of October and have been told I’ll get it in January, but not had a confirmed date.

I’ve chased the dealership once a month about it and keep on getting the same answer

Not really and I didn't ask. They did make it clear that it was a very rough estimate.

I think SS and PCH cars get pushed back to the end of the queue which is fair enough. They explained that they had some black SE LR's which were pre-ordered and available about the same time as the SE SR's but I wasn't interested. They also said the Trophy was available sooner but, same answer... no thanks.
Ah, I see. I had to look up what the salary sacrifice scheme is, as my employer has never mentioned this. Hopefully, you’ll get your SR in or before February. 🤞

Ah, I see. I had to look up what the salary sacrifice scheme is, as my employer has never mentioned this. Hopefully, you’ll get your SR in or before February. 🤞
Thanks.

Probably a bit late for you now but it's worth mentioning SS to your company and sowing the seeds for next time as it can be an efficient way to get an EV and the employer can benefit too (although there are a few things to be aware of, such as how it might change pension contributions). A lot of the SS companies such as Octopus EV have a team available to make it easier to 'persuade' your employer ;-)

Thanks.

Probably a bit late for you now but it's worth mentioning SS to your company and sowing the seeds for next time as it can be an efficient way to get an EV and the employer can benefit too (although there are a few things to be aware of, such as how it might change pension contributions). A lot of the SS companies such as Octopus EV have a team available to make it easier to 'persuade' your employer ;-)
By the way, is that Manic Miner as your profile? 😊 I had a Speccy back in the day.

The SE LR seems on the face of it, reading these forums, to be the least popular of the 3 models currently available in the UK.

It's the one we've had on order with Chorley Group since first week of November, and we were advised a 12 week wait, but they were optimistic about it being quicker (appreciate that was probably just sales patter).

Emailed a week ago and was told 12 weeks still the expectation (so end of Jan). However given that it appears to be just luck of the draw what models the dealerships get, and that there seem to be so few SE LR in existence, I'm not at all confident. Wondering whether to try and find the extra for a Trophy.

Interested to hear from those who are already driving the SE LR:
  • when did you order and then receive the car?
  • are you experiencing some of the commonly reported issues e.g bulge, software problems etc?

And those that have ordered but still await the SE LR how long have you been waiting? Have you got any specifics such as VIN number yet, vehicle location etc?
When the first batch of 1000 were due in uk Miles from chorley had info (the podcasts on you tube are very helpful) that se lr made up only 10% of the cars so it could be that mg haven't actually made that many and the next batches may be similarly weighted towards se sr and trophy. It was one reason i didn't try and stretch to a lr and i got a sr first time lucky.
Allocation does seem random at mo so i just wish you good luck.

I have a SE LR in Blue on order from 3 September. With no information, as to when it’s arriving!!!
That’s surprising not to be given any information about a possible date. My dealer emailed me a new vehicle order PDF and deposit receipt and under document details it gives an estimated delivery date.

Looks like the LR battery's are going into Trophys . Make a few more quid out of selling Trophys no doubt.
Yeah, especially as the Trophy is the most popular for pre-orders according to this article, “The majority of customers are plumping for the Trophy model, with 70% choosing this range-topping version. The ‘Volcano’ bright orange colour is proving most popular than expected too.“
But isn’t the SE LR the ”range-topping version”? 😉
MG takes 1,000 deposits for MG4s in two weeks

Having spoken to the MG Sales Manager. It would seem the ordering system is at best random. In terms of delivery of any MG4 model or colour, they don’t know what’s coming.

I have a Camden Grey SE LR on order since mid-September. They told me from the beginning they were expecting an end-of-year delivery. In October they told me maybe November, but that's gone and still no hard delivery date.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back