MG4 SE rattling noise over 100 kmh

Ardez

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello everybody,
I'm writing from Italy. I own a red MG4 SE since last dec 2022 and I'm loving it. I had the oil leak issue, resolved after ONLY 5 months...Everything else was flawless...until this last weekend. We went for a ride to Tuscany and right after passing 100/105 kmh on the highway, a rattling noise came up coming apparently from the passenger door area. I couldn't understand if from the inside, under o elsewhere. Checking parts roughly nothing seems to be loose or damaged...anyone else maybe? Thanks for your attention. cheers

Giacomo Ardesi

When driving and this noise appears, try applying a little pressure to the rear of the interior light housing and see if the noise stops. I found that this was the cause of an annoying rattle in mine, that I initially thought was coming from the passenger side.

Turns out that the rear of that housing is plastic on plastic and needed a little rubber cushion in between to dampen the noise.

Thank you guys I have sunglasses indeed in the holder, but always been there...tonight I'll check, thanks!

Mine started to rattle from the passenger seat, so I left her at home. :LOL:
meh youtube GIF by Rosanna Pansino

When driving and this noise appears, try applying a little pressure to the rear of the interior light housing and see if the noise stops. I found that this was the cause of an annoying rattle in mine, that I initially thought was coming from the passenger side.

Turns out that the rear of that housing is plastic on plastic and needed a little rubber cushion in between to dampen the noise.
Interesting - I'll consider this If I get that rattle noise...

I too have sunglasses in the holder - But mine are wrapped in the Cleaning cloth - So I dont have finger prints on them - But maybe that cloth is also acting as a dampener as well (who knows)

Hello everybody,
I'm writing from Italy. I own a red MG4 SE since last dec 2022 and I'm loving it. I had the oil leak issue, resolved after ONLY 5 months...Everything else was flawless...until this last weekend. We went for a ride to Tuscany and right after passing 100/105 kmh on the highway, a rattling noise came up coming apparently from the passenger door area. I couldn't understand if from the inside, under o elsewhere. Checking parts roughly nothing seems to be loose or damaged...anyone else maybe? Thanks for your attention. cheers

Giacomo Ardesi
There is a known fault under the glove box, where the heating vents come into contact with the cover. Again the fix appears to be fitting some sticky felt to the vent surrounds, hope this helps 🙏

Í had the sunglasses rattle when I first got the car, cured by taking the sunglasses out of the holder and putting them in the door pocket. They're back in the holder now, but in a soft case that stops the rattle. No other rattles.

So, no glovebox nor sunglasses holder related unfortunately...will have to investigate further I guess. I would like to sort this out myself before going to service cause I know that would turn out to be a LOOOONG affair...

So, no glovebox nor sunglasses holder related unfortunately...will have to investigate further I guess. I would like to sort this out myself before going to service cause I know that would turn out to be a LOOOONG affair...
Did you put pressure on the area to the rear of the interior light housing? The section nearest the back window of the car, where the SOS button is. Oh, meant to add, you need to keep the pressure on whilst listening for the rattle. On mine it definitely stopped when putting pressure at that location.

Don’t suppose you had passenger in the back? I reported to dealer very annoying metallic clacking noise when either of the rear seatbelts are done up. The dealer investigated and confirmed the noise also that their demonstrators did exactly the same. Told me there was no fix as “they all do it”

I had my wife on the back seat behind me, and my daughter in her seat. The point is that this noise never occurred up to this last weekend. The car has already more than 8000 km. The noise seems to clearly come from somewhere outside the passenger door.

I had my wife on the back seat behind me, and my daughter in her seat. The point is that this noise never occurred up to this last weekend. The car has already more than 8000 km. The noise seems to clearly come from somewhere outside the passenger door.
Is the exterior plastic moulding at the bottom of the door loose by any chance?

I’ve just started experiencing this. For me it sounds like a plastic or metallic disk caught in a vent being moved about by the airflow. It is coming from the front left wheel arch, but I’ve taken a look but can’t see anything that could be causing it.

How did you fix this? Did you pull down the entire thing? And where did you add the rubber?

Last edited:
How did you fix this? Did you pull down the entire thing? And where did you add the rubber?
Yes. 2 screws inside the glasses holder then it pulls down from the end nearest the window if I remember correctly. It’s held in place by 2 metal spring type connections at either side of the centre of it. Takes a bit of pressure but it just pops out.

As for the foam, I took out the actual light fitting. If you look behind the housing you’ll see the tabs that you can press to release it. Press those, take out the light fitting, then put small strips of foam around the edge of it - there’s a lip, you’ll see when you remove it.

I also put foam on the section where the whole fitting ‘hinges’ fit into, just to cut down on the plastic vs plastic.

Yes. 2 screws inside the glasses holder then it pulls down from the end nearest the window if I remember correctly. It’s held in place by 2 metal spring type connections at either side of the centre of it. Takes a bit of pressure but it just pops out.

As for the foam, I took out the actual light fitting. If you look behind the housing you’ll see the tabs that you can press to release it. Press those, take out the light fitting, then put small strips of foam around the edge of it - there’s a lip, you’ll see when you remove it.

I also put foam on the section where the whole fitting ‘hinges’ fit into, just to cut down on the plastic vs plastic.
There are two hinges at the rear of the entire thing. The rattling stops if I applie a little pressure there while it's in place. Are these the hinges you are talking about? Look at the red circles

Attachments

• IMG_6128.jpeg
    IMG_6128.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 67

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member