MG4 Smart key not detected. Alarm going off.

Swampy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Just got into my MG4 SE SR. pressed the brake pedal to select D for drive and a warning appeared on the screen in front of me “Smart Key Not Detected” then the car alarm was going off. First thing I tried was to make sure the door opened which it did.
I have had to disconnect the 12v battery. I left it for a few minutes and reconnected but still the alarm going off.
Phoned the AA. Awaiting for them to come.
The car is a month old and had the latest software updates.
I have my key in my trouser pocket like always so not sure if there is an issue with the battery. Shouldn’t be after only a month old. But you never know.
Just glad it isn’t the locking in the car issue and also I have a 10mm spanner with me. Along with a screwdriver for the emergency boot release.
Anyone else had this issue?

Is that with both keys?
If so does it happen with the key placed in the console as per the manual?

You can drop the key, buttons facing up, in the front portion of the storage bin under the arm rest between the front seats to get as close to the reader as possible if you get stuck.

Last edited:
Is that with both keys?
If so does it happen with the key placed in the console as per the annual?
I am not at home so only have the one key. I haven’t tried it with the key on the console no.
Tried to connect the battery terminal back on and straight away the alarm sounds.

I have tried leaving the key in the centre console as mentioned facing up but still get the alarm going off everytime I connect the battery

OK. The message is different from the invalid key deadlock so until you can try the other key who knows...key or car🤷‍♂️...unless you are near a shop that sells key fob batteries...

Agree Andy, I assumed that was attempted...but never assume ass u me. Was it tried with the key in the armrest location
When you re connect the battery and the alarm goes off, try pressing lock or unlock on the fob . Worth a try.

Agree Andy, I assumed that was attempted...but never assume ass u me. Was it tried with the key in the armrest location
No. I was outside of the car with the key in my hand trying the lock/unlock buttons on the key.
Edit: what i didn’t want to happen. To get locked in the car.

AA just called be 10 mins

Please let us know how you get on. It will good to know the resolution for other members who may find themselves in the same scenario 🤞

Last edited:
I didn’t try the digital key no. I could have done with a pair of ear plugs. Something else to add to my emergency kit.
AA arrived they managed to connect the battery and by pressing the key fob buttons stop the alarm. Didn’t work for me earlier.
When we went to press the brake to select Drive this wouldn’t select.
He connected his booster pack to the battery and eventually got it to select Drive.
Different warning lights are now on the screen which won’t clear.
He followed me back to MG dealership, which was only 2 mile up the A19, so they can have a look and see what they think.
I will be calling by to drop off the two keys for them tomorrow morning early.
Attached a screen shot of the warnings on the screen.
I see the coffee cup is there. I thought that was for only the trophy Specs.

Attachments

• E657CAC3-8A01-41EC-905A-E6111A844E17.png
    E657CAC3-8A01-41EC-905A-E6111A844E17.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 169
Have you tried using the Digital Key within the iSMART app?
During this time of madness I did check the app which showed the location of the car in Brussels Belgium.
when in fact I was just off the A19 in Newcastle. 🤓

Attachments

• F4F174AB-F5B0-44DD-9FBD-B001340BDFF2.png
    F4F174AB-F5B0-44DD-9FBD-B001340BDFF2.png
    457.9 KB · Views: 157
Could be a loose 12v battery connection so it's not getting charged by the main battery which has caused the battery to discharge below its operating voltage. This has been reported a couple of times and backed up by the AA getting it going by attaching their booster pack.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back