MG4 Spare wheel

retrobloke

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Just thought I would reignite the spare wheel discussion. Has anyone looked into it further or tried fitting potentially sized wheels?

See these threads

According to the owners handbook for the MG4 wheel and tyre size below and no the car does not come the wheel changing equipment or a spare wheel and according to my dealer there is not one available as an accessory because I ask that question
Les

Wheel Rim Size
7.0JX17
Tyre Size
215/50 R17 95V

These days many cars don’t come with a spare, but you can get one of those yellow boxes that pump air and special gunk that fills the hole and sets in place

You will have extra weight in that wheel then which throws out all your balances

Just enough to get you to a tire garage anyway

Something many overlook is the balancing of the wheels, you get it all done correctly but then one good knock on a curb and it’s all thrown out

These days many cars don’t come with a spare, but you can get one of those yellow boxes that pump air and special gunk that fills the hole and sets in place

You will have extra weight in that wheel then which throws out all your balances

Just enough to get you to a tire garage anyway

Something many overlook is the balancing of the wheels, you get it all done correctly but then one good knock on a curb and it’s all thrown out
Tyre garages just love that stuff, some will not repair a simple puncture with gunk in it and will want you to buy a new tyre, which of course means two new tyres to keep similarly worn / make tyres on the same axle.

Tyre garages just love that stuff, some will not repair a simple puncture with gunk in it and will want you to buy a new tyre, which of course means two new tyres to keep similarly worn / make tyres on the same axle.
You don’t have to get it changed

In fact if all your tires have gunk in them then they are all run flat tires essentially

Google Search

How long can you drive on tyre sealant?

between 50 - 100 miles

Typically, tyre foam or sealant will last between 50 - 100 miles before it starts to become ineffective. It's essential that you get your tyre fixed or replaced properly as soon as possible

and AA

Once you’re satisfied that you’ve repaired the tyre using the kit, drive your car to the nearest garage or tyre fitters to replace the tyre. A tyre that's been repaired with sealant will almost always need replacing, however small the puncture was.

There's likely to be a restriction on how fast and how far you can drive on the repaired tyre. This should be in the instructions but if in doubt, stick to a maximum of 50mph for 50 miles. Make sure you drive carefully, especially when cornering and braking.

Actually all that applies to a space saver too. You are supposed to do not much more than 100 miles on it and replace afterwards.

There is only 3mm tread from new and its a soft compound

Hi All
Just thinking for longer trips I would prefer at least a space saver. Goes back to a trip were side wall was ripped out on a rock ( squirty can totally useless) on a Sunday at 4pm in South Lake District. The car had to be dumped at tyre place and then picked up next day!!!!

Also my space saver for my ice has more than 3mm, but even if it did you're not gonna wear 1.4mm off them in a hurry. Agree you have to keep to 50 and don't load them up too much around corners but I'd feel much happier in the knowledge I can continue my journey however severe the puncture.

Also my space saver for my ice has more than 3mm, but even if it did you're not gonna wear 1.4mm off them in a hurry. Agree you have to keep to 50 and don't load them up too much around corners but I'd feel much happier in the knowledge I can continue my journey however severe the puncture.

I was quoting from a tyre manufacturer website i read recently- possibly Hankook. I just repeated the info here.

Several sources quote 50 miles maximum

There are conflicting suggestions, I suppose it comes down to a bit of common sense. It is what it is, and I treat it as a reusable temporary method of getting you to your destination where you can source a proper replacement. Personally I'd just measure the tread after each use and seek to replace at 2mm. The tyre will have the same rubber compound from 3,4 or 5mm all the down to the 1.6 legal limit or nearly bald for that matter. You do see people driving on them like they're regular use tyre's and a cringe every time.

Looks interesting, still might be limited if your side wall is gashed. Can't get a direct price without requesting, eBay & Amazon prices seem high, like £50 per wheel 😱

It partly depends where the puncture is, if it is central in the tyre, no problem with a repair but if it is near the edge on either side a repair may not be practical.

Hi All
Just thinking for longer trips I would prefer at least a space saver. Goes back to a trip were side wall was ripped out on a rock ( squirty can totally useless) on a Sunday at 4pm in South Lake District. The car had to be dumped at tyre place and then picked up next day!!!!
I bought a 16" space saver for my MG ZS EV. Never used it and now it's lying in my shed. Gone back to diesel

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back