MG4 standard range increased?

RewqNo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hey.

Today at around 4 pm i started to drive my MG4 standard, it showed 198 km left. 100% charged battery. After about 2 min of driving it showed 323 km? I turned the car on and off mulitple times, but did nothing. Now its showing 77% and 249 km left after driving for a while. What happend? Its -2 celsius outside, so this doenst make any sense.

Any ideas?

The range remaining (also known as a guess-o-meter) can change a lot, and for the SE SR I think the latter two numbers are closer to correct based on my own experience (EDIT: in the summer at least*):

100% charge, 323km (200 miles)
77% charge, 249km (154 miles)

Idk why it showed 198km remaining at full charge unless it was "stuck" on that estimate until you started driving again?

The temperature will affect it as well as all the expected stuff like driving faster, going uphill and using A/C.

Check what total mileage is showing for Accumulated Total ... that sudden change suggests to me that this trip meter reset at some point.

I would not expect 200 miles range at -2C in the SR model (51kWh LFP battery) unless that trip had reset so that the GoM would default to WLTP figures (or thereabouts).

As it has gotten colder the range has decreased as expected, but now its back like it used to be in the summer. Maybe my car thinks its summer. But can I trust it tho?

Check what total mileage is showing for Accumulated Total ... that sudden change suggests to me that this trip meter reset at some point.

I would not expect 200 miles range at -2C in the SR model (51kWh LFP battery) unless that trip had reset so that the GoM would default to WLTP figures (or thereabouts).
Hmm, I will have to check that out tomorrow. Ty

It's almost certainly as per my previous post ... driving more miles (km) will bring the GoM back to more-realistic figures.

As it has gotten colder the range has decreased as expected, but now its back like it used to be in the summer. Maybe my car thinks its summer. But can I trust it tho?

No, you can't trust it. If it's cold, assume you will get the range you anticipate in the cold weather.

How often do you let your car sit at 100% on an AC charger and balance the battery? Not doing that can cause the GOM to do strange things.

I saw my accumulated miles trip meter reset the other day and absolutely nothing happened to the predicted range. It's going up and down a bit depending on the exact temperature and how I was driving on the previous trip, but nothing unexpected.

The usefulness of the GOM in this situation to me is that it is teaching me what range I can expect given the temperature and how fast I intend to drive. So I can make a better guess than the car does, eventually, because I know how I intend to drive and can estimate based on the car's previous estimates following similar behaviour.

I've seen posters say that there is a reset that will cause the car to revert to factory settings, and forget the previous trip consumption figures. It sounds to me as if this reset has happened spontaneously in the OP's car, either that or he caused it to reset by accident while intending to do something else or just fiddling about.

in indonesia. where its summer all year round.. at 100% my guestirange is always 378km with ac on. or 423km w/o ac...

Everything depends upon your driving style, use of A/C and gadgets and a number of other factors like average speed. When I first got my car the GOM showed 509km of range at 100% full.

I charge to 80% a couple of times a week & it seems to have settled at around 330km. I charge at low rate overnight on a 7.4kW charger (6.6 for the car) and it is normally complete by about 4-5am but the end time is set at 7am so there is plenty of time for battery equalisation. I charged to 100 % for a trip recently and the range went to 405km just 30km shy of the WLTP figure. Over the 1000km trip that proved to be pretty accurate & there was a lot of 110kmh motorway cruising. A/C was on Eco as was the drive mode with OPD. OAT varied from 25 deg to 36 deg. At the lower OAT I just had the fan on.

Last edited by a moderator:

You are correct, the accumulated total had been reset. No idea how that happend since you have to go into that menu and hold square...how can I get it to show the right km again? Now it shows 177 km at 63%. It charged to 100% yesterday. Was sitting there on the charger for about 2 hours after being finished.

I saw my accumulated miles trip meter reset the other day and absolutely nothing happened to the predicted range. It's going up and down a bit depending on the exact temperature and how I was driving on the previous trip, but nothing unexpected.
I purposefully reset my Acc Total recently. Beforehand I was seeing ~160 miles on the GoM - immediately after I saw 213 miles. 🤷‍♂️

That's odd. Mine didn't change at all. Still showed a winter range. It happened about a mile from home and I went straight home and plugged into the granny charger. When charged I was seeing 160-odd miles.

Anyway, I think the OP just has to go on driving and it will all sort itself out. Just don't believe the car will do 350km in winter even if it says "cross my heart and hope to die."

That's odd. Mine didn't change at all. Still showed a winter range. It happened about a mile from home and I went straight home and plugged into the granny charger. When charged I was seeing 160-odd miles.

Anyway, I think the OP just has to go on driving and it will all sort itself out. Just don't believe the car will do 350km in winter even if it says "cross my heart and hope to die."
Yeah, im not trusting it. I know its around 200 km range in this weather. Guess i just have to drive and see if it sorts itself out 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back