MG4 Trophy 1year on

MAJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
A little history, we collected our MG4 Trophy 1st Nov 22, Elderly Couple Wife Main Driver.

From new we loved the car, we are generally low milage users (7000miles) we have Ohme 7kw charger and Home Solar panels, 3 year service contract at £8/month, so very low running cost.
We had no real software issues because we were able to turn OFF LKA and it stayed OFF.
The resetting of other default driving settings were a nuisance but managable.

After about 3 months the windscreen was damaged and needed replacing (AutoWindshields)
2 month wait for delivery, then our problems began. AutoWindshiels were unable to calibrate camera so trip to Main Dealer 3 months later after 5 visits to Main Dealer calibration was successful (Replacement camera and various software updates).
Problem now is LKA defaults to ON also ACC braking is much more noticable and generally uncomfortable.

We have just returned from our first long journey to France which again went without issue, but with many comfort and charging stops the issue with resetting of driving modes including LKA did cause problems. Driving on narrow country lanes and having the steering suddenly pull towards oncoming traffic is quite worrying and very dangerous.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? I will be asking at upcoming service if original software could be reinstalled but doubt this will be possible. I now feel that this is not the car we perchased and why can we not be allowed to spend time setting up the car the way we want it and expect those settings to be retained.

Do we really need Big Brother telling us what driving settings we should use and why give us these options if they will change every time I lift my bum off the seat.

Last edited:
I find LKA a bit of PIA, but we put up with it.

We came from a Honda FRV which in terms of tech was light years in the past, so all these "driver aids" were very alien to us.

But the longer we live with the car, the more we get used to it.

Going to hope our windscreen never needs replacing.....

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? I will be asking at upcoming service if original software could be reinstalled but doubt this will be possible. I now feel that this is not the car we purchased and why can we not be allowed to spend time setting up the car the way we want it and expect those settings to be retained.

Do we really need Big Brother telling us what driving settings we should use and why give us these options if they will change every time I lift my bum off the seat.
You won't be able to have the original software reinstalled although I believe there is an update to make the LKA less aggressive.
Most of us agree the Big Brother systems in our cars are overly controlling but it's not MG's or any other manufacturers choice. They are a requirements set by NCAP to achieve their 5 star safety ratings.

I find LKA fine for most larger roads, but a real pain for the smaller windy roads that I drive often. I dont mind the occasional tug but on windy roads it happens often, so I turn it off. I have never had it try to turn me into traffic, it just gives a nudge. it will be interesting to see how LKA technology affects road casualties. I would like to have the option to turn off more easily.

A little history, we collected our MG4 Trophy 1st Nov 22, Elderly Couple Wife Main Driver.

From new we loved the car, we are generally low milage users (7000miles) we have Ohme 7kw charger and Home Solar panels, 3 year service contract at £8/month, so very low running cost.
We had no real software issues because we were able to turn OFF LKA and it stayed OFF.
The resetting of other default driving settings were a nuisance but managable.

After about 3 months the windscreen was damaged and needed replacing (AutoWindshields)
2 month wait for delivery, then our problems began. AutoWindshiels were unable to calibrate camera so trip to Main Dealer 3 months later after 5 visits to Main Dealer calibration was successful (Replacement camera and various software updates).
Problem now is LKA defaults to ON also ACC braking is much more noticable and generally uncomfortable.

We have just returned from our first long journey to France which again went without issue, but with many comfort and charging stops the issue with resetting of driving modes including LKA did cause problems. Driving on narrow country lanes and having the steering suddenly pull towards oncoming traffic is quite worrying and very dangerous.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? I will be asking at upcoming service if original software could be reinstalled but doubt this will be possible. I now feel that this is not the car we perchased and why can we not be allowed to spend time setting up the car the way we want it and expect those settings to be retained.

With you. Broken windscreen, many months to recalibrate, Autoglass, LKA always originally off (now default on following mega SW update session). Sounds like a parallel universe.

I've asked others with new cars, not MG but ICE, yes they have a form of LKA and dislike it.

Our ritual start car, Speed limiter on, LKA off, set Eco mode . Start driving. Wish we didn't have to. It's our only real complaint.

Seems to be no way around it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel