MG4 Trophy headlamp adjustment

Joe Boatman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
My dipped beams shine nicely on the motorway at 5am before dawn in December and I could clearly see the road surface for at least 2 metres ahead.
Under the bonnet there's little adjusters behind head front light but turning them made only 1 cms change in height of the dipped beams on the garage door. The zero to 3 dial is on max height. Main beams are good but dazzle oncoming traffic.
Anyone know how to make then higher? MG service centres are closed on weekends!

Just to confirm, the you have the 0-3 dial on "0" ?

I adjusted mine last night. It’s the one closest to the side that you need to turn. It’s very hard to turn by hand but managed it.

I adjusted it while pointing out onto the road, with my old car parked next to it for comparison. The adjusters do make quite a bit of difference at a decent range. Perhaps because you’re shining them up against a wall that’s very close, you won’t see too much movement.

Useful info but I already know the headlights are not adjusted. I checked Kwik Fit's website to see if they will set them up for me but its not in their list of services.

I wasn't that clear in my post, but this is the last straw. Public charging is a pain; lane assist grabs the wheel out of my hands, ACC is jerky; radio freezes; mode defaults to Normal and other settings change back to default values. Long journeys are not comfortable; nowhere to hang a coat; speech recognition can only say "Pardon?"; mp3 music plays on my MG5 but not on the MG4; I can't read the station names on the radio because the captions are too small.
Both cars are beautiful and innovative and spoilt by poor software (including the seats which are hard wear!!).

They'd only check they weren't dazzling oncoming vehicles not how far you can see.
When I took my car in for the new breather I asked my dealer to adjust the dipped headlights as they didn't reach far up the road. They did and the lights are much better now.

When I took my car in for the new breather I asked my dealer to adjust the dipped headlights as they didn't reach far up the road. They did and the lights are much better now.
This is exactly what I told my dealer. But you know, why listen to the customer when you can just say “they’re fine”…

I adjusted mine last night. It’s the one closest to the side that you need to turn. It’s very hard to turn by hand but managed it.

I adjusted it while pointing out onto the road, with my old car parked next to it for comparison. The adjusters do make quite a bit of difference at a decent range. Perhaps because you’re shining them up against a wall that’s very close, you won’t see too much movement.
Any chance of a video / photo of where the adjuster is. I have the same issue and while the dealer has agreed to look at it I can't get over there for a few weeks and struggling with only having about 3-4m of light in the dark! Thanks.

Had the same problem. Turned both screws two-and-a-half times clockwise. Didn't do any precise measurements on a wall but it is much better now, although I might give it another turn.
lamp-adjust-right.jpg

Right side
lamp-adjust-left.jpg

Left side

My Trophy’s dipped beam is perfect. But only just got to do a night drive on unlit country roads and the main bean lit up the trees above leaving a disconcerting dark patch at end extremity of the dipped beam’s reach.

Same here, there is a gap between the dip and main beam to the rhs of mine.

The main beam is too high, good for owl spotting though. They seem to adjust as a unit afaics.

I was out early doors this morning (5.30am) and my headlights were fine - both dipped and main beam. (SE SR). Even the auto-main-beam behaved itself. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back