MG4 Trophy headlamp adjustment

I was following this guide

Which states if the inclination value marked on the headlight is 1% …….. then it’s 10cm over 10m. Not sure why you are taking tan into account.

Also others suggest as a general rule of thumb, 3 inches over 25ft. This makes 17.5cm over 10m too much ??

Last edited:
Not sure why you are taking tan into account.
Because someone mentioned one degree, and you repeat it above. 10cm in 10m is 1%, which is quite different to an angle of 1°.

A quick search seems to indicate that 1% or 1.2% is common. 1% is about 0.57°. So are we talking degrees or percent?

Last edited:
Sorry - my mistake - the indication on the top of the headlight is 1% hence the 10cm drop over 10 metres. But is this to the step up or step down part of the beam ?

Sorry - my mistake - the indication on the top of the headlight is 1% hence the 10cm drop over 10 metres. But is this to the step up or step down part of the beam ?
I said above it's the main flat part of the beam - the lower bit.

Sorry - 1 more question - how do you get the starting height. I’ve read two methods 1) move the car so that it is 50cm from a wall and mark the top of the beam 2) measure the height of the headlight centre point from the ground. I can’t see a centre mark on the headlight so how have you guys done it?

As above drive up close, measure down, mark the desired height each side with a bit of masking tape or whatever. Back away 10 m, adjust to the tapes.

Also others suggest as a general rule of thumb, 3 inches over 25ft. This makes 17.5cm over 10m too much ??
3 inches over 25ft is 1%, so is an equally valid rule of thumb. The calculation is trivial: 25ft is 300 inches, and 3:300 is 1%. (So your 17.5cm should read 10cm.)

3 inches over 25ft is 1%, so is an equally valid rule of thumb. The calculation is trivial: 25ft is 300 inches, and 3:300 is 1%. (So your 17.5cm should read 10cm.)
I was questioning the 17.5cm being too large - however that was due to my mistake of saying 1 degree rather than 1%.

To clarify /summarise - the marking on the top of the headlight states a slope of 1%. Therefore you can use 3 inches over 25ft, 10cm over 10m, 5cm over 5m etc etc.

Sorry all for any confusIon.

Taken from the service manual for reference.

Under headlight lighting calibration, I believe section 2 is referring to the non trophy headlights and section 3 is for the trophy that has separate high and low beam adjustments. I believe 3d should be referring to the High beam.

Im guessing that the reference height difference between the trophy and non trophy headlight is due to the position of the LED/ reflectors. However a H of 850mm seems too high. The mark i made on the wall is approx 740mm. I wondering if it should actually state 750mm????

Attachments

• IMG_0020.png
    IMG_0020.png
    881.4 KB · Views: 71
Taken from the service manual for reference.
Not very helpful, is it? I think the instructions and illustrations in this thread are much more useful than the manual, and far more precise. Asking us to adjust between 50mm and 300mm down is in 'how long is a piece of string' territory.

And I agree that H of 850mm looks high

Same on mine, anyone sorted this?
I got the dealer to adjust the main beam (for free, under warranty). They lowered the right hand one and its now a useful light ahead on the road but still leaves a dark patch between dipped and main. Liveable with but I intend to try making my own adjustment.

Sorry if I'm being thick but is the adjustment screw nearest the screen wash filler the high or dipped beam adjustment?

Trophy LR
IMG20240114124417.jpg

I got the dealer to adjust the main beam (for free, under warranty). They lowered the right hand one and its now a useful light ahead on the road but still leaves a dark patch between dipped and main. Liveable with but I intend to try making my own adjustment.
I have the same problem. Other than the knob below right of the steering wheel is there another method of adjusting the main beam on an MG4 EV Trophy?

Your dealer is an idiot. 🙄

If you look back in this thread you'll see images showing the separate adjusters for dipped and main beams on the Trophy. :)

It's a brand new car - get the dealer to do it? (If headlight positioning would fail an MOT then the car by definition shouldn't be on the road - for a new car this is the dealer's responsibility to sort).
I have this problem. The dealer said they didn’t know how to do it. They sent a technical request to MG including the headlight settings. MG responded to say they are ok. As someone said “ok if you like spotting owls and have a blackout between the two beams.” Any advice please?

I have this problem. The dealer said they didn’t know how to do it. They sent a technical request to MG including the headlight settings. MG responded to say they are ok. As someone said “ok if you like spotting owls and have a blackout between the two beams.” Any advice please?
Can you post picture of your headlight alignment against a wall with some reference meansurments?
In the meanwhile if you search the forum you will find links to the service manual which shows how to align the headlights (for both the standard and premium models)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back