MG4 Trophy Headlights

beckyldav

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, I’ve had my trophy for two weeks and am really struggling with the headlights when it is dark. Is anyone else finding the main beams not very bright at all (not full beams and not side lights, the other ones). I have to go at a snail pace on country roads in the dark if I can’t use full beams as I can’t see.

Also the right light doesn’t seem to project as far as the left light. So I end up having a bit of a ridge in the light. See picture. Just wondering if this is a fault or other people have this issue? Seems wrong to me but then the driver monitoring system and lane keep assist also seem wrong to me but apparently they are fine!

Attachments

• E5C3E51F-FEA0-4928-BA00-0DF54FB0993F.jpeg
    E5C3E51F-FEA0-4928-BA00-0DF54FB0993F.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 0A1D2EF0-7B30-4E68-A04A-2D9DC1F46CC8.jpeg
    0A1D2EF0-7B30-4E68-A04A-2D9DC1F46CC8.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 187
Personally I find the lights on my Trophy to be really great, others have mentioned that their lights needed adjusting so suggest you try that first. I think the right light should be slightly different to the left because of oncoming traffic, but that may not be correct.

Hi, I’ve had my trophy for two weeks and am really struggling with the headlights when it is dark. Is anyone else finding the main beams not very bright at all (not full beams and not side lights, the other ones). I have to go at a snail pace on country roads in the dark if I can’t use full beams as I can’t see.

Also the right light doesn’t seem to project as far as the left light. So I end up having a bit of a ridge in the light. See picture. Just wondering if this is a fault or other people have this issue? Seems wrong to me but then the driver monitoring system and lane keep assist also seem wrong to me but apparently they are fine!
Have a look at the headlight levelling dial (to the right of the steering column, near the mirror controls) and see if its set low (higher numbers equal a lower beam). I find the MG4 Trophy headlights to be pretty good (this is the 4th car I've owned with LED headlights)

Hi, Yes i agree. The dip beam is pretty good and it is fairly normal for the beam to project further on the left hand side than the right. I have many cars in the past that have had this pattern.

The main beam is not as good especially on wet roads. The main beam seems to project light up too high into the trees so some of the beam is wasted. Perhaps it the main beam aim was brought down it might improve the projection. I was going to ask MG if the main beam can be adjusted. Perhaps someone in the know here can answer this.

Only had my Trophy a week but have noted the main beam not being as good as previous LED headlighted cars i have owned.

Simon

Have a look at the headlight levelling dial (to the right of the steering column, near the mirror controls) and see if its set low (higher numbers equal a lower beam). I find the MG4 Trophy headlights to be pretty good (this is the 4th car I've owned with LED headlights)
I have tried the dial and it doesn’t seem to change the lights at all. So maybe I do have a fault

I find the same thing. I finally got automatic dipping switched on a couple of days ago , drove down a local country short cut and had to slow down each time it dipped. I think the above suggested level setting is between 0and1 so I’ll check that

When we first got our Trophy dipped beam was awful. It was set so low that it left a dark patch between it and full beam. Had them adjusted and they are much better.

When we first got our Trophy dipped beam was awful. It was set so low that it left a dark patch between it and full beam. Had them adjusted and they are much better.
Ah that sounds like ours. Did they alter them in the garage?

Have a look at the hints and tips there is a link to an existing thread and loads of other useful info that could help

For simplicity here is the thread on adjustment

Have a look at the hints and tips there is a link to an existing thread and loads of other useful info that could help

thank you. I shall take a look

Does anyone find that it is extremely dark to the immediate left when turning left at a junction etc ? It’s as if there should be another bulb to illuminate this area. Thoughts / comments ?

I was even wondering whether half the front indicator strip could be re-wired or programmed to be a front fog light that would come on when indicating left like so many cars these days.

Does anyone find that it is extremely dark to the immediate left when turning left at a junction etc ? It’s as if there should be another bulb to illuminate this area. Thoughts / comments ?

I was even wondering whether half the front indicator strip could be re-wired or programmed to be a front fog light that would come on when indicating left like so many cars these days.

Cars with ‘cornering lights’ (either dedicated lights or the fog lights doubling up) don’t work the way you’ve said.
They don’t come on when simply indicating.
They come on when turning the wheel below a certain speed, they don’t actually need the indicator to be activated.
So it’s a steering wheel position and speed combination feature.
I’m not sure making the corresponding fog light come on when you simply indicate would be legal, don’t know the law on that.
But it would mean your fog light coming on at all speeds and scenarios, like exiting a motorway.
And that’s not how they work on any other car.

Our other car, a 21 plate Megane RS Line, has cornering fog lights and here's one way they work apart from when the steering wheel is turned.
Scenario - 30 mph road and wanting to turn left into a side road. Slowing say to 20 mph, indicate left, no n/s fog light on. Slow to 15mph, still with indicator on and straight steering wheel, fog light comes on and stays on until the manouver is completed. This only happens if the indicator is on, if not, the fog light reacts to steering wheel inputs.

Our other car, a 21 plate Megane RS Line, has cornering fog lights and here's one way they work apart from when the steering wheel is turned.
Scenario - 30 mph road and wanting to turn left into a side road. Slowing say to 20 mph, indicate left, no n/s fog light on. Slow to 15mph, still with indicator on and straight steering wheel, fog light comes on and stays on until the manouver is completed. This only happens if the indicator is on, if not, the fog light reacts to steering wheel inputs.

Ok so a combo of indicator/steering/speed.
My point still stands, that simply wiring the fog lights to the indicator isn’t going to replicate this and may be illegal.
A fog light coming on as you indicate and gently bank off a motorway at 70mph is going to look pretty stupid if nothing else.

Ok so a combo of indicator/steering/speed.
My point still stands, that simply wiring the fog lights to the indicator isn’t going to replicate this and may be illegal.
A fog light coming on as you indicate and gently bank off a motorway at 70mph is going to look pretty stupid if nothing else.
Agree totally, it has to be speed related at low speeds.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back