MG4 Trophy LR. Eco or normal

ECO mode seems to lag the throttle response so that power is fed in more gradually. If you're already light-footed then I suspect you won't gain a great deal with ECO vs NORMAL.

Just wondering as we drive ours in normal drive mode all the time,
Is there significant more miles if kept in eco mode.
Eco will reduce the power used by the heating/ac somewhat as well as dull the throttle and brake response.

There's also a "reduce energy used" switch (I forget exact wording) which helps.

This promotes smoother driving, if your driving style adapts to the mode. If you are someone who drives the same way irrespective of the mode you'll not get most of the benefit.

On a recent 125 mile journey at 0C ambient, in ECO/power reduced mode, we achieved 3.1miles/kWh.

My normal winter economy is 2.6miles/kWh (in Sport-Adaptive).

As above the best way I’ve found to maximise range / efficiency is to use “Energy Saving Mode” and turn off Air Conditioning and drive at 60mph or less. I keep the heating on at fan speed 3 manually but no aircon on and put the HVAC on Eco too.

My mls/kwh goes up from around 2.7 to 3.2

I only do this very occasionally though when range is critical.

As above the best way I’ve found to maximise range / efficiency is to use “Energy Saving Mode” and turn off Air Conditioning and drive at 60mph or less. I keep the heating on at fan speed 3 manually but no aircon on and put the HVAC on Eco too.

My mls/kwh goes up from around 2.7 to 3.2

I only do this very occasionally though when range is critical.
Thanks for that.

Interesting thread.....nearly up to my first calendar month of MG4 ownership, so I've been driving in cold-ish conditions (admittedly not minus temps), and the maximum forecast distance I've ever seen is when I collected the vehicle - 250mph on 'normal'
On Eco settings, my predicted mileage does go up a few miles.
But I'm reckoning that my maximum predicted range at 100% (which I haven't yet charged to as I haven't needed to) is 220 odd. I'm getting 190-200 miles at 80%
Can I do better.
I don't drive the vehicle around corners on two wheels - I confess I do the odd heavy acceleration when it feels good!!

Interesting thread.....nearly up to my first calendar month of MG4 ownership, so I've been driving in cold-ish conditions (admittedly not minus temps), and the maximum forecast distance I've ever seen is when I collected the vehicle - 250mph on 'normal'
On Eco settings, my predicted mileage does go up a few miles.
But I'm reckoning that my maximum predicted range at 100% (which I haven't yet charged to as I haven't needed to) is 220 odd. I'm getting 190-200 miles at 80%
Can I do better.
I don't drive the vehicle around corners on two wheels - I confess I do the odd heavy acceleration when it feels good!!
Sounds pretty similar to my mileage & I’ve had my car just over a month

When I first got the car I had the dreaded range anxiety & had it in ECO mode all the time but like you it only adds 6-8 miles compared to Normal Mode & where I live on the Isle of Wight which is roughly 23 miles x 13 miles I should never put myself in a position where I’m sweating over remaining miles lol so now I always leave it in Normal mode, tried Sport mode once

& everyone says, as the weather warms up it will get better

Just checked the MG App, 49% battery & 114 miles remaining so not bad especially as it’s pretty cold here the last few days

Attachments

• IMG_2091.png
    IMG_2091.png
    483.2 KB · Views: 36

When I first got the car I had the dreaded range anxiety & had it in ECO mode all the time but like you it only adds 6-8 miles compared to Normal Mode & where I live on the Isle of Wight which is roughly 23 miles x 13 miles I should never put myself in a position where I’m sweating over remaining miles lol so now I always leave it in Normal mode, tried Sport mode once

Just checked the MG App, 49% battery & 114 miles remaining so not bad especially as it’s pretty cold here the last few days
Currently 172 miles on 79% charge for me - 110+ around the 50% is about the same for me. I'll be interested to see if the range increases in the hot weather without having to do a full trip reset. I've restrained from doing one now, as my dealer said that doing so would just be kidding myself!!!!

Currently 172 miles on 79% charge for me - 110+ around the 50% is about the same for me. I'll be interested to see if the range increases in the hot weather without having to do a full trip reset. I've restrained from doing one now, as my dealer said that doing so would just be kidding myself!!!!
I have read quite a lot that in the colder months an EV can lose around 30% range

+ ( for me anyway ) when it’s pretty nippy like it is today I leave the heater on ( 22° ) & thst according to my screen drops the mileage around 8-10 miles

So come summer I’m hopeful the range won’t be far off the official WLTP figures

I have read quite a lot that in the colder months an EV can lose around 30% range

+ ( for me anyway ) when it’s pretty nippy like it is today I leave the heater on ( 22° ) & thst according to my screen drops the mileage around 8-10 miles

So come summer I’m hopeful the range won’t be far off the official WLTP figures
Isle of Wight....yer not far from me then....:)

Isle of Wight....yer not far from me then....:)
Went out earlier this morning & car was really frosted over. As you can see it still had 49% battery but mileage was down from 114 to 106 miles, temperature was saying 0° , bet it was colder overnight

What is great ( granted I’ve seen worst frost ) but I didn’t need to get out & start scraping the windows. Just put front/rear screen heaters on, turned temperature up to 24°& 5 minutes it was ready to go

Yep you’re not far from me at all. We actually had a day where you are visiting friends 2 weeks before the first lockdown, lovely place. At the time they lived in Monxton 👍😁

Attachments

• IMG_2099.jpeg
    IMG_2099.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2097.jpeg
    IMG_2097.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 30

I’m over the Island in May for a week and will be doing a bit running about, as you do. I will be staying over Bembridge way. What’s the island like generally for charging. Seems like some decent options in the main towns?

I’m over the Island in May for a week and will be doing a bit running about, as you do. I will be staying over Bembridge way. What’s the island like generally for charging. Seems like some decent options in the main towns?
New chargers seem to be popping up regularly buddy

I’ve only used the Mer chargers ( 50kw ) in Newport ( not cheap at 72pkwh, 56p on the 22kw charger ) but had no issues paying using contactless or the Mer app

What’s weird though on my Zapmap app it’s not quick at updating when new chargers appear

Now if you look at Brannon Street car park, Wooton, it says there’s 4 22kw chargers. Actually there’s also 2 faster chargers that say on machine “up to 75kw” I’ve seen these with my own eyes as it’s the car park opposite wife’s health centre

Also my neighbour told me last week there’s 2 new ultra rapid chargers at Waitrose, East Cowes but again, not showing on Zapmap

Now depending on where you are staying, a lot of hotels, guest houses offer 7kw points or a place to plug in your granny lead

& according to our local MP there should be 20-25 new public charging locations added by the end of 2025

But from my limited experience so far I’ve had no issues apart from once both 50kw chargers being used in Newport, Chapel street but it was middle of afternoon. Best time from my experience is to be there 7.30-8am & I’m good 👍

New chargers seem to be popping up regularly buddy

I’ve only used the Mer chargers ( 50kw ) in Newport ( not cheap at 72pkwh, 56p on the 22kw charger ) but had no issues paying using contactless or the Mer app

What’s weird though on my Zapmap app it’s not quick at updating when new chargers appear

Now if you look at Brannon Street car park, Wooton, it says there’s 4 22kw chargers. Actually there’s also 2 faster chargers that say on machine “up to 75kw” I’ve seen these with my own eyes as it’s the car park opposite wife’s health centre

Also my neighbour told me last week there’s 2 new ultra rapid chargers at Waitrose, East Cowes but again, not showing on Zapmap

Now depending on where you are staying, a lot of hotels, guest houses offer 7kw points or a place to plug in your granny lead

& according to our local MP there should be 20-25 new public charging locations added by the end of 2025

But from my limited experience so far I’ve had no issues apart from once both 50kw chargers being used in Newport, Chapel street but it was middle of afternoon. Best time from my experience is to be there 7.30-8am & I’m good 👍
Cheers. We are stopping in a caravan on Sandhills if you know it, but will be getting out and about. We know the Island pretty well but this will be first time bringing the ev

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back