MG4 Trophy not reading speed limits reliably

NickL

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have an 8 year old Qashqai and it reads the speed limits reasonably reliably. I think it defaults to the inbuilt sat nav if it cannot see a speed sign nearby.
My MG4 Trophy struggles to reliably read the speed signs. For example, on a motorway with a 70mph limit it may sometimes show 40 or 60 mph, other times nothing.
Is there a way to get the MG4 to also read speed limits from the in-built satnav?

Do others have a similar problem?

Nick

I have an 8 year old Qashqai and it reads the speed limits reasonably reliably. I think it defaults to the inbuilt sat nav if it cannot see a speed sign nearby.
My MG4 Trophy struggles to reliably read the speed signs. For example, on a motorway with a 70mph limit it may sometimes show 40 or 60 mph, other times nothing.
Is there a way to get the MG4 to also read speed limits from the in-built satnav?

Do others have a similar problem?

Nick
Just out of interest as I've seen a few comments about the speed recognition, when you see the 40's or 60's being shown are you going past junctions, off ramps adjacent roads etc?

This seems to have been a common issue across various manufacturers whilst they are getting their systems dialled in as the cars start to get some real world miles under their belts

Just out of interest as I've seen a few comments about the speed recognition, when you see the 40's or 60's being shown are you going past junctions, off ramps adjacent roads etc?

This seems to have been a common issue across various manufacturers whilst they are getting their systems dialled in as the cars start to get some real world miles under their belts
Saw exactly this happen on Sunday evening, but I have been surprised at how good the system is at reading speed limit signs, I expected it to be very hit and miss but it got every single one on my trip including one of an off slip road.

What infotainment software version are you on? R46 brought a lot of much needed fixes including the bluetooth connection and speed sign accuracy.

Does it fix the lack of knowledge of what the national speed limits are? Mine nearly always shows 60 on motorways and dual carriageways.

Saw exactly this happen on Sunday evening, but I have been surprised at how good the system is at reading speed limit signs, I expected it to be very hit and miss but it got every single one on my trip including one of an off slip road.
Even my dealer admitted (in a whatsapp response) speed sign recognition is very poor.
It almost makes me think you are driving something else than an MG4.

The option of using satnav is no alternative:
1.Speed is not shown on the driver dash,
2.it is plain wrong as the maps are outdated and
3. because it uses the wrong max speeds on highways.

I just keep my eyes open

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel