Mg4 Veers to the left

coleman34

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have recently taken delivery of the new MG4 Trophy, and have noticed sometimes when driving on a clear road, the car will suddenly and sharply veers to the left, which can be felt in the steering wheel and raises some concerns, has anyone else experienced this, and if it is a fault or a setting that is wrong.

Do you have lane keep assist on? That’s a symptom of some of the lane assist issues, it pulls you away from the centre line of the road.

Edit - apparently there was a software update to alleviate some of the issue, reduced the severity of it I believe.

Welcome to the crazy world of the MG4. Just wait till it suddenly veers to the right into path of oncoming vehicle or the steering wheel momentarily locks as you turn into a corner. This would have been hidden from you when you took it for a test drive. Wait till it rains, its far worse. There are fairly extensive threads on this. Most recent titled "Lane Keep Assist Tried To Kill Me". Enjoy.

I have recently taken delivery of the new MG4 Trophy, and have noticed sometimes when driving on a clear road, the car will suddenly and sharply veers to the left, which can be felt in the steering wheel and raises some concerns, has anyone else experienced this, and if it is a fault or a setting that is wrong.
37mph+ will activate the LKA lane keep assist, it's notified by a Green car symbol with lane markings in the top left of your HUD screen.

Yellow is off, white is on but not activated.

Usually when it is in action and moves your car more than a slight nudge, you get a warning pop up on your HUD.

It should only really keep you away from the lines of the road. it doesn't like country roads with narrow lanes, or hills with a sharp crest.

You can turn it off in the settings > MG Pilot > LKA. But it defaults to on at every start up.

Do you have lane keep assist on? That’s a symptom of some of the lane assist issues, it pulls you away from the centre line of the road.

Edit - apparently there was a software update to alleviate some of the issue, reduced the severity of it I believe.
Yes it’s on, and you need to switch off every time you drive, unless you have had software update

This appears to be the Lane Keep Assist (LKA) issue.
It seems to come in two parts:
1. Sudden veering to the left and over-reactive strong pulling;
2. The inability to turn it off permanently (which is what my dealer and others recommended when asked for a solution) - the LKA just switches itself back on !
We had this issue from new in March.
At last, the car went in last week and after a 2 day (!) software update, the problem seems to have been cured (touch wood !).
So if the problem persists I suggest that you take it in and insist on the latest software update.

Yes it’s on, and you need to switch off every time you drive, unless you have had software update
You need to switch off every time, unfortunately this is a requirement to earn the manufacturers a 5* NCAP rating…software update won’t change that either I’m afraid, although it may reduce the effect that you experience when it’s on

Switching off every drive appears to be the default position for MG and this system.
In my case, even when the LKA was switched OFF at the start of a drive, it turned itself ON midway through a drive which was in itself a safety hazard.
Hopefully the latest software update will at least prevent the system from switching itself ON even though it has been switched OFF.
However, if the LKA worked like on other EVs (I also have a Skoda EV and the LKA on that works fine) there would be no need to switch it off !
If that issue was properly addressed then there would be no need to discuss whether LKA can or cannot be permanently switched OFF.
After all, a workable LKA system is included in the MG4 specification. So if it isn't provided will MG compensate financially for the missing feature which they advertise ?

In order to remember to switch off LKA every trip, I've programmed the vocal greeting to say "Don't forget to turn off suicide mode". Works for me!
By the way, just as a reminder, when you first power up, LKA is not there in the MG Pilot page, you have to fully switch on by pressing the brake pedal before it sneakily appears!

Yeah but that's even more sneaky. It lures you into thinking you have switched it off then switches it right back on when you press the brake pedal to get started.

Switching off every drive appears to be the default position for MG and this system.
In my case, even when the LKA was switched OFF at the start of a drive, it turned itself ON midway through a drive which was in itself a safety hazard.
Hopefully the latest software update will at least prevent the system from switching itself ON even though it has been switched OFF.
However, if the LKA worked like on other EVs (I also have a Skoda EV and the LKA on that works fine) there would be no need to switch it off !
If that issue was properly addressed then there would be no need to discuss whether LKA can or cannot be permanently switched OFF.
After all, a workable LKA system is included in the MG4 specification. So if it isn't provided will MG compensate financially for the missing feature which they advertise ?

Indeed, the VAG ( VW, Seat, Audi, Cupra, Skoda ) lane keep assist got a lot of stick online, to the point I made damn sure I could permanently disable it via the OBD in my Cupra.
However, before the OBD dongle came I gave the LKA a go and it wasn’t too bad.
I’ve still switched it off via the OBD because it annoys me in any guise though.

In order to remember to switch off LKA every trip, I've programmed the vocal greeting to say "Don't forget to turn off suicide mode". Works for me!
By the way, just as a reminder, when you first power up, LKA is not there in the MG Pilot page, you have to fully switch on by pressing the brake pedal before it sneakily appears!
I have a similar message.😀

It is there for me too but setting it has no effect unless you are in Ready mode (the confirm dialog does not come up before then). It may depend on software version.
In which case your Infotainment setup is different to @Sloucher's :)

What you experience is exactly what I get.

Currently driving a 2023 1.0 TSI Seat Arona XL Automatic hire car in Spain, LKA works in this very well, the Spanish highways seem to be better than the roads back home and the road markings are mostly better.

Missing just lifting my foot off the accelerator to slow down though.

The LKA is definitely less aggressive in this though, I only realised it had it when I was driving a pitch black road and started to drift to the left, and I felt a gentle movement back into my lane.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back