MG4 Verdict after 5000 kilometres

Have you tried flushing the cache in the app and restarting it?
Yes. It is like it always has been. It shows 87°C at the first scan and a more plausible value if the scan is repeated. I think @siteguru has mentioned this behaviour as well.

But the fact that there is a HVAC update comforts me. At least they are working on something.

Yes. It is like it always has been. It shows 87°C at the first scan and a more plausible value if the scan is repeated. I think @siteguru has mentioned this behaviour as well.

But the fact that there is a HVAC update comforts me. At least they are working on something.
Yes, there is progress, albiet slow, but that is better than some makes that do not focus on updates at all.

I've had implausible interior temperatures quite often, no interior temperature reading at all quite often, and 87C at least once. I also see the 12-volt battery at over 12 v sometimes, although maybe it was charging then? Right now it looks OK, except, is the interior temperature really likely to be 20C when it has been parked outside since about five o'clock and it is now after midnight with an ambient temperature of 10 or 11C?

This app is flaky.

After putting some more miles (or kilometers really) on it today on dry roads, I have to admit that the LKA update really works for me.

I had it turned on all the time and it didn't bother me at all.

Now I wouldn't mind giving it to my wife which I wouldn't have done before.

I was out in mine doing a good few miles today, and I just left everything at default. LKA only gave one incident where it got a bit confused and tried to wrongly correct lane alignment (on the approach to a dual-lane roundabout which also had a slight bend and countdown marker lines - the car got confused about what exactly was the correct lane). It wasn't overly intrusive though.

AEB also activated once - but that was when I was approaching a pedestrian (who was on the pavement) and the car didn't realise that the road bent round to the right so there was no chance of actually hitting the pedestrian. So it activated, but I can explain it.

The AEB activated on mine yesterday as I was overtaking a parked car. I had slowed down judging the distance and speed of an approaching car so when I got to the parked car the other one would have cleared enough so I could overtake without actually stopping.
The MG had other ideas and just as put my foot on the accelerator it decided my years of experience weren't good enough and slammed on the anchors. Good thing the car behind was awake.

I will have to remember the AEB has no concept of anticipation and cannot judge the path of moving objects.

I will have to remember the AEB has no concept of anticipation and cannot judge the path of moving objects.
I also suspect that the sensors are not very good. On the driver's display I see phantoms all the time. Cars on the neighbouring lane that are non-existent and much more. I wouldn't trust this system one bit.

I have the same colour as you :) I did black out rhe chrome MG on the front and back however and changed my rims. I HATE chrome!

I agree that the quality of the interior is not the best, but I absolutely LOVE driving this car.

Attachments

• 20230419_105500.jpg
    20230419_105500.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 106
Usually I charge at home, but today I had to do an unexpected journey and I wasn't prepared. So I had to charge en route - for the first time.

I arrived with 11% SoC. I saw up to 140 kW charging power from the beginning which is really excellent. The car was charged to 60% in only 15 minutes. But I wanted to know how long 80% would take, so I stayed a little bit longer. In the end 80% SoC was achieved after only 25 minutes in total, charging almost 44 kWh in 25 minutes.

That is really very very good for a car of this class and price. 11% to 80% SoC in 25 minutes at around 8°C ambient temperature. Considering the (very hideous and) much more expensive Ora Cat can reach only 60 kW charging speed the MG4 is a rocket.

Next to me there was a no lesser vehicle. ;-)

Sd0xWD6.jpg

KipJ6ZV.jpg

5I82KgH.jpg
How does rapid charging cost compare with UK?

How does rapid charging cost compare with UK?
It has become crazy expensive since 2023. Most companies charge 60 Cent (GBP 0,53) or more per kWh. Our price at home is 32 Cent (GBP 0,28) per kWh. But we have a photovoltaic system and when we charge during daytime it's free.

With our Ioniq 5 came a special offer with Ionity - I can charge there for 23 Cent (GBP 0,20) per kWh so I try to use those when driving longer distances.

Last edited:
Just completed 10000 km (6214 miles) today.

With the latest updates applied, especially the LKA update, the car drives fine. It was always joyful to drive - now it has also stopped being annoying.

Improvements are still needed on the HVAC system and the driver assist functions.

And good Lord, I have to clean that screen. It doesn't look remotely as bad in real life as it does in the picture. Embarrassing.

nEF7Yl3.jpg

Today I sold the car. I was thinking about it for some time and put it up for sale on the largest German online platform, "mobile.de". I wasn't prepared for the demand. I got more than 30 messages per day, almost 200 in total now. I was sure the car would be hard to sell, especially in Germany. But the clear opposite was in fact the case.

So why did I sell it, when it's working rather well now? Well, I'm not entirely confident in the car anymore. Sure, LKA is usable now. ACC and TJA still are not. At all. There are a lot of small everyday niggles and I don't want to go into every detail. It's a nice little car, I don't want to put anyone off because of my specific experience or the assessment thereof.

I sold it in total piece of conscience. It is fine now and I would let my mother drive it. But the annoying things still outweigh the joy of driving for me personally.

At the end I have to say this is the best car related forum I have ever experienced. :) Never has a virtual community been more competent, yet smart, funny and heart-warming. It almost made me keep the car! 🤣

But the replacement is already here and I was trying hard to source a vehicle with comparable reliability!

650jS4x.jpg

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO:🤭 the Alfa is more likely to give higher repair bills than the MG!
Absolutely. But it's a (incredibly cheap) business leasing deal for 12 months only. This looks like a sensible interval to me.

Clarkson once said that you're not a proper petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa Romeo. And this seems to be the variant with the lowest risk possible.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back