MG4 - Warning light and "Pull in safely message" on motorway

apndavies

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi

So I was driving down a motorway yesterday about 60mph in my MG4 (which I love) and was coming up to stationary traffic,

The car started to slow down - then there was a clunk from below with a message "ACC not available"

The hazard lights came on automatically and I got an error with a "pull over safely" message. The brakes felt different too. At first I was worried that they had failed - but they just had a different feel to them.

I was in the fast lane and couldn't pull over to the hard shoulder, so had to move off to the right as far as I could. The traffic was going quite slowly at this point, as I had caught up with traffic jam.

I wish I took a photo of the dash, but wasn't really thinking about that.

Anyway I did have a battery warning light - even though the car had 92% battery charge according to the dash ( and I knew I had plenty of charge).

Accelerator did nothing - couldn't move. The gear selected did nothing - it was stuck.

So I powered off the car through the main screen - and when it rebooted - all was well. No further issues for the rest of my 2 hour journey.

Has anyone had any thing like this, and should I get it checked out? I have had the car about 2 / 3 weeks now.

Andrew

Maybe there are some error codes that were generated when the problem occured and can now be read through the OBD port?

I'd hope there was a log somewhere. No idea how to access the OBD port I am afraid
That would require a special reader device be plugged into the car.
Any mechanic will have one these days, but it might have to be a specific one if MG have used any "non-standard" codes.
Your best bet would be to visit your dealership.

Ahh thanks for that - been Googling too! I am going to see what my dealer says. Would be interested if it has happened to anyone else.

I have the MG4 Trophy

That would require a special reader device be plugged into the car.
Any mechanic will have one these days, but it might have to be a specific one if MG have used any "non-standard" codes.
Your best bet would be to visit your dealership.
Plenty of bluetooth OBD dongles. I had one for my previous BMW 330D. It helped me diagnose a couple of failed speed sensors, saved me €100s comoared to taking it to a main dealer. Of course under warranty, it's still useful to see the error codes and what they mean before you go to the dealer. Lots of free apps to link to the inexpensive BT dongles to tell you the codes and meanings. You don't have to be a mechanic to do that.

Had something similar, hard braking on the motorway and some warnings and errors about ACC not being available, then been OK after restart and no further issues since.

Suspect they just didn't get around to writing the error routine for a certain set of sensor inputs happening simultaneously, so the software just throws a hissy fit and disables receiving data from sensors it can't handle.

I had that same error and need to get a new rear motor fitted as the error message kept happening. Took 2 months to get resolved as MG kept saying update software but this did not resolve the problem. My problem was solved by Arnold Clark East Kilbride. Get your garage to speak to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of bluetooth OBD dongles. I had one for my previous BMW 330D. It helped me diagnose a couple of failed speed sensors, saved me €100s comoared to taking it to a main dealer. Of course under warranty, it's still useful to see the error codes and what they mean before you go to the dealer. Lots of free apps to link to the inexpensive BT dongles to tell you the codes and meanings. You don't have to be a mechanic to do that.

Not found anything that works for me yet.

I have a 'Carly' from earlier vehicles and two different OBD dongles with different apps.
Nothing I have will communicate with the car.

Carly are working on something for MG EVs I believe.

Had a similar problem when starting the car in the morning,tons of error messages and wouldn't let me move,got out of it locked it and unlocked it and all was well,that was a couple of months ago hasn't done it since?

Hi

So I was driving down a motorway yesterday about 60mph in my MG4 (which I love) and was coming up to stationary traffic,

The car started to slow down - then there was a clunk from below with a message "ACC not available"

The hazard lights came on automatically and I got an error with a "pull over safely" message. The brakes felt different too. At first I was worried that they had failed - but they just had a different feel to them.

I was in the fast lane and couldn't pull over to the hard shoulder, so had to move off to the right as far as I could. The traffic was going quite slowly at this point, as I had caught up with traffic jam.

I wish I took a photo of the dash, but wasn't really thinking about that.

Anyway I did have a battery warning light - even though the car had 92% battery charge according to the dash ( and I knew I had plenty of charge).

Accelerator did nothing - couldn't move. The gear selected did nothing - it was stuck.

So I powered off the car through the main screen - and when it rebooted - all was well. No further issues for the rest of my 2 hour journey.

Has anyone had any thing like this, and should I get it checked out? I have had the car about 2 / 3 weeks now.

Andrew
Good quick thinking to power down then re-boot. I'll try to remember that should the worst happen, though there will be a few moments of mindless panic beforehand. As to a solution, sorry, not a clue apart from questioning a dealer.

Have owned my mg4 for 9 days. Dashboard is like Blackpool illuminations with warning lights. SOS system failure red alert. The sat nav has no idea where the car is. HV battery shut off red warning. Vehicle control system failure red warning. It’s been back at dealers more than I have had it on driveway and the after sales service team have been shocking. “I’m sure it will be ok to drive”. I have photos of all these but no idea how to share.

IMG_7072.jpeg

You should tell them that under UK consumer regulations they have 1 chance to fix it otherwise you will be rejecting it as it is not fit for purpose. However, as you have a number of fault indications, please check that the 12v battery terminals are tight as loose connections can give false indications.

Do you know if this will also fix hv warning and other system faults that are coming up or is that something different?

Just in case people are not familiar.. the 'tbox' is the Telematics Box, it is a module in the car that connects to lots of systems and monitors them assessing data, raising warnings and communicating with the outside world (over 3g/4g etc).

When this module is faulty, it can be missing or misreading crucial data and can throw out spurious warnings on the dash that have no validity.

If it can't contact a key system it may tell you to stop driving because it can't monitor the health of that system.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back