MG4 Water ingress - soggy headliner

Question:

You say it is a brand new car, so why not take it back to where you bought it and let them sort it out. That will save you a lot of messing about with the car yourself that could invalidate your warranty ! 🙀

Apologies - wasn't sure if this question was directed at me or one of the other responders.
Assuming it was me, then I may have already covered this (in part, at least) in post #5.

Basically, though, I absolutely agree and don't plan to (nor should I be expected to) actually resolve the issue myself - even more so as it's a brand-new car.
However, (as per #5) I'm reluctant to take it back and leave it with the dealership unless I'm reasonably certain that there is something wrong with it that needs fixing, as it will be a major inconvenience to us - we use the car for several journeys a day, every day (hence why we purchased it in the first place!).
The dealership is very unlikely to have a spare MG4 available to loan to us whilst it's in with them, so we will lose out from benefiting from the considerable investment we have made.

That said, I did contact the dealership a couple of weeks ago, to make sure they were made aware of the potential issue as soon as I first noticed it.
We mutually agreed to keep an eye on it and get it booked in if required (if it proved to be a persistent problem, rather than just a one-off, for whatever reason).

Unfortunately, over this past weekend, I was able to confirm it to be a persistent problem...
So, as agreed, I called them up this morning and asked to get it booked in for further investigation...

Which leads me on to the next challenge (in addition to the loss of use we'll inevitably have to endure)...

I was informed whilst trying to book it in that, as it was less than 6 weeks old, it would all have to go through the sales manager... and that they will need to request they contact me...
So now I'm awaiting a call back from the sales manager... So far, nothing back, though... ⏳

I was informed whilst trying to book it in that, as it was less than 6 weeks old, it would all have to go through the sales manager... and that they will need to request they contact me...
So now I'm awaiting a call back from the sales manager... So far, nothing back, though... ⏳
That makes no sense in my opinion. Other than perhaps requesting a sales car for courtesy why does sales need to get involved in an aftersales issue? Were you given a good reason for this strange process or did you mention something else?

Alan

Apologies - wasn't sure if this question was directed at me or one of the other responders.
Assuming it was me, then I may have already covered this (in part, at least) in post #5.

Basically, though, I absolutely agree and don't plan to (nor should I be expected to) actually resolve the issue myself - even more so as it's a brand-new car.
However, (as per #5) I'm reluctant to take it back and leave it with the dealership unless I'm reasonably certain that there is something wrong with it that needs fixing, as it will be a major inconvenience to us - we use the car for several journeys a day, every day (hence why we purchased it in the first place!).
The dealership is very unlikely to have a spare MG4 available to loan to us whilst it's in with them, so we will lose out from benefiting from the considerable investment we have made.

That said, I did contact the dealership a couple of weeks ago, to make sure they were made aware of the potential issue as soon as I first noticed it.
We mutually agreed to keep an eye on it and get it booked in if required (if it proved to be a persistent problem, rather than just a one-off, for whatever reason).

Unfortunately, over this past weekend, I was able to confirm it to be a persistent problem...
So, as agreed, I called them up this morning and asked to get it booked in for further investigation...

Which leads me on to the next challenge (in addition to the loss of use we'll inevitably have to endure)...

I must say you’re being very tolerant. A car less than 6 weeks old peeing in water I would want it fixed asap and a car supplied while it was done. All this being passed around is just intolerable and pointless - if they have their internal processes then fine for them, but I’m not interested - just sort the car out!

That makes no sense in my opinion. Other than perhaps requesting a sales car for courtesy why does sales need to get involved in an aftersales issue? Were you given a good reason for this strange process or did you mention something else?

Alan
No reasoning provided and nothing else. They said they just had to email the sales manager, so I asked if I could at least be included in that email (to make it easier to follow up, etc.) but even that wasn't permitted - they assured me the sales manager would subsequently contact me directly, very soon afterwards...
...it's been 24hrs, so far, and still diddly squat!

No reasoning provided and nothing else. They said they just had to email the sales manager, so I asked if I could at least be included in that email (to make it easier to follow up, etc.) but even that wasn't permitted - they assured me the sales manager would subsequently contact me directly, very soon afterwards...
...it's been 24hrs, so far, and still diddly squat!
Sounds like a fob off

Definitely, as has been already said, it's seems they have fobbed you off

Quick update (in case of interest to anyone).
I've chased repeatedly as still haven't even heard back from the dealership.
I've also messaged everyone in the dealership network I have an email address for (as calling up initially proved a waste of time - now resorting to making sure I have everything in writing), yet still nothing.
As stated by several of you, guessing we're just being fobbed off - perhaps a stalling exercise to ensure it becomes too late to reject the car, if it eventually needed to come to that...

Anyhow, FWIW, I've now escalated to MG Customer Services, and requested confirmation from them that we can take the car to any dealership in the UK, in relation to potential manufacturing defects...

Further update:
I subsequently chased/escalated (all the way up to Hao Wang), including providing additional photographic evidence of the oil leak and other items on the snagging list.
Still nothing back from the dealership, but have now had a response back from MG Motors UK (on behalf of Hao Wang), so we'll see if/where that leads...

Further update:
I subsequently chased/escalated (all the way up to Hao Wang), including providing additional photographic evidence of the oil leak and other items on the snagging list.
Still nothing back from the dealership, but have now had a response back from MG Motors UK (on behalf of Hao Wang), so we'll see if/where that leads...
What happened regarding the water ingress, any more news there?

What happened regarding the water ingress, any more news there?
Water ingress, oil leak and undertray bulges were all bundled together in the same snagging list, so suffered the same fate - i.e. apparent fobbing off/ghosting from the dealership!
That said, including Hao Wang in on the escalation does seem to have got things moving - this morning it seems MG UK head office have contacted the dealership themselves, and they've now finally got back to me!
So, fingers crossed on progress (I will, of course, post further updates here).

Today's update:

The Sales Manager was very apologetic and had a senior technician check the car over today.
They confirmed all 3 issues - an ultrasonic tool was used to determine an issue with the windscreen bonding around the affected area (i.e. top O/S corner, above the driver).

So... warranty work requests submitted and will need to go back to get the remedial work carried out once authorised and the parts/sub-contractors are lined up - in the case of the water ingress, this will likely require the windscreen to be cut out and re-fitted again (hopefully, without damage to the glass or surrounding area!!).

...this does, of course, raise the question of whether or not this is a one-off case, or if there are in fact other MG4s from the same production line with a similar issue, that just hasn't been noticed yet...
I only really noticed the headliner was wet when I went to route a cable for the dashcam.
May be worth checking regularly, just in case!

Today's update:

The Sales Manager was very apologetic and had a senior technician check the car over today.
They confirmed all 3 issues - an ultrasonic tool was used to determine an issue with the windscreen bonding around the affected area (i.e. top O/S corner, above the driver).

So... warranty work requests submitted and will need to go back to get the remedial work carried out once authorised and the parts/sub-contractors are lined up - in the case of the water ingress, this will likely require the windscreen to be cut out and re-fitted again (hopefully, without damage to the glass or surrounding area!!).

...this does, of course, raise the question of whether or not this is a one-off case, or if there are in fact other MG4s from the same production line with a similar issue, that just hasn't been noticed yet...
I only really noticed the headliner was wet when I went to route a cable for the dashcam.
May be worth checking regularly, just in case!
Another example of the variances in quality on the line, probably a rare fault but another one all the same.

For normal situations Turn on A/C which will remove moisture from the air inside the car.

Good luck with your replacement screen

Update:

Finally managed to get the MG4 in for the windscreen repair today (over 10 weeks after first detecting and reporting the water ingress!).
Hopefully no longterm damage as a result.

Thankfully, the original screen was removed and resealed without cracking it in the process.

Due to this risk of the windscreen getting damaged during removal/refitting, the Service Manager had attempted to get a replacement windscreen ordered in from MG, last week, but they apparently wouldn't provide one 'preemptively', only if it was needed (i.e. it would have meant several additional days with the car both off the road/unavailable for us to use, plus taking up valuable space in the workshop, whilst awaiting the windscreen to be requested via warranty, the warranty request approved, part ordered in, part delivered, and finally the replacement fitted... such that the car would be watertight again, so could go outside... after the bonding had cured, of course).

Apparently, it was quite evident when the windscreen was removed just how badly it had been sealed, when originally fitted in the factory.

Hopefully, that's us finally sorted (well, for this 1 issue, at least - the oil breather, etc. is still on backorder!!), but I would be very surprised if ours was the only one that was manufactured in this manner - may be worth closely inspecting the trims around your own windscreen after a rainstorm or after washing it, just in case...!!

"the Service Manager had attempted to get a replacement windscreen ordered in from MG, last week, but they apparently wouldn't provide one 'preemptively', only if it was needed"

That in a nutshell sums up MG UK and that is why it's destined to remain a budget brand.

Service manager at the garage trying to do the sensible right thing and get a new windscreen in, just in case required.
MG, like the breather mod refusing unless it's actually required. Would probably want photos to prove the window wasn't usable/damage.
The decent garages are so up against it, fortunately they were able to reuse it.

"the Service Manager had attempted to get a replacement windscreen ordered in from MG, last week, but they apparently wouldn't provide one 'preemptively', only if it was needed"

That in a nutshell sums up MG UK and that is why it's destined to remain a budget brand.

Service manager at the garage trying to do the sensible right thing and get a new windscreen in, just in case required.
MG, like the breather mod refusing unless it's actually required. Would probably want photos to prove the window wasn't usable/damage.
The decent garages are so up against it, fortunately they were able to reuse it.
Yes perhaps MG is taking the cost saving too far. We'll see, at the moment the MG4 is selling like hot cakes but if it gets a reputation sales may suffer. Perhaps the other manufacturers were right to stick at a higher price/quality point. We'll see.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back