MG4 will bind to app but then nothing...

Kat Wood

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi All, I've been reading the posts regarding problems binding, but my problem appears slightly different. I'm having no problems binding the car to the app, the app tells me it was successful AMD comes up with the correct information, but when I go to the home page it says Unknown. It won't register vehicle status or recognise the GPS. Basically, despite being supposedly bound, I can't use the app. Any suggestions?! It's the most basic model you can get if that makes a difference?

Mine frequently won't connect to my car. Try the following (If you haven't already) in order !

1. Sit in the car and go into the infotainment screen and go to Settings and on the right side scroll down to Privacy Policy - Make sure everything is Agreed and turned on.
2. While stilll in the car go to the User icon on your infotainment screen (swipe right = see attached Youtube video) and make sure you are logged in. If not login.
3. Make sure you are parked outside away from high buildings, unlock the car and lock it again 30 seconds later and check the app.
4. Unlock the car, sit in it and go to the charging tab as if you were about to charge. Open the charging door and check your app again, especially the Charging Management menu in the top left three = line menu list.
5. When you are out next in the car, try driving to a location with excellent mobile reception and try 3 and 4 above again.
6. If all falis keep trying each day as the MG servers can be hit and miss.
7. After a week, if it's still not working I would contact your dealer as perhaps it's not been registered properly on the MG Server or your cars e-sim is not working ?

MG's servers could either be down or it seems for some people it takes a couple of days for their account to become active.

Mine frequently won't connect to my car. Try the following (If you haven't already) in order !

1. Sit in the car and go into the infotainment screen and go to Settings and on the right side scroll down to Privacy Policy - Make sure everything is Agreed and turned on.
2. While stilll in the car go to the User icon on your infotainment screen (swipe right = see attached Youtube video) and make sure you are logged in. If not login.
3. Make sure you are parked outside away from high buildings, unlock the car and lock it again 30 seconds later and check the app.
4. Unlock the car, sit in it and go to the charging tab as if you were about to charge. Open the charging door and check your app again, especially the Charging Management menu in the top left three = line menu list.
5. When you are out next in the car, try driving to a location with excellent mobile reception and try 3 and 4 above again.
6. If all falis keep trying each day as the MG servers can be hit and miss.
7. After a week, if it's still not working I would contact your dealer as perhaps it's not been registered properly on the MG Server or your cars e-sim is not working ?

Wow, thank you! I'm out the back of beyond at the moment with barely any mobile reception let alone internet so I'll give at this a go on Saturday when I'm back in civilisation! Thanks again.

MG's servers could either be down or it seems for some people it takes a couple of days for their account to become active.
I had left it over a week before posting on here and still nothing ☹️

Don't worry about the 'Unknown' heading on the front page as mine does that when everything else works.
The other problems are more serious and JonnyG's advice is good.
In addition:
If you tap the top centre of the front ('Remote Control') screen, where the registration is, does it take you to the 'Vehicle Management' screen'? Does this show, in red letters, 'Unbind' on the top right? If it does, that would imply your phone is bound to the car.
In addition, the car's home screen, top right should show vertical bars to indicate signal strength, with'4G' above them. If they are shown, while it doesn't prove whether the servers are up it, does show the car has a mobile signal.
If you tap the phone's 'Vehicle Status' tab (front screen under 'Unknown'), your should get the vehicle status page with the car being scanned. I presume from your OP that this isn't happening. If the car is out of range you would normally get a message. I am presuming the car 'has not gone to sleep' which it does after around 24hrs and won't respond to the app.
Good luck and please keep us informed.

Thank you for all your replies. Grriff, yes the car was definitely bound as the red "unbind" message was there.
Interestingly after going through all the recommendations, I discovered that I don't have a user icon on the infotainment screen. There are some other options that my car doesn't have either.
However, I do think I've solved the issue! I unbound the car to try binding it again, only this time I did it with the phone plugged into the car. Lo and behold, it's worked. I feel like a wally for not trying this sooner, but in the various videos I've watch I haven't seen anyone do this.

Will be getting my car on Friday hopefully no issues, although it sounds like standing on one leg while saying the alphabet backwards might be easier……..

Will be getting my car on Friday hopefully no issues, although it sounds like standing on one leg while saying the alphabet backwards might be easier……..
Good luck! To be honest, I had been getting on fine without it. I use the pod point app to set charging but I guess it'll be nice to warm the car without leaving the house now it's getting chilly!

I did the binding in the car before I even left the dealership.

FWIW (and I don't know if this matters) but I did the Bluetooth pairing first (car with phone, and I had previously already created the iSmart account in the app), and then I did the binding of the iSmart account with the car - which worked flawlessly.

Im going to have to carry this out at home. Its a lease so will be delivered and I doubt delivery driver will be any help.

Im going to have to carry this out at home. Its a lease so will be delivered and I doubt delivery driver will be any help.
I suggest you use an email address not your mobile number to bind the car as that seems to have a higher success rate.
You can also download the app and set up your iSmart account before you get the car.

My car arrived today and I managed to bind without any issues, the guide posted above helped. I have set the off peak charging through it, charger is plugged in and ‘handshake’ took place. Charger tried to charge but the car refused and scheduled charging showed on screen. So will see what happens, if it doesnt work I will then try via charger app.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back