MG4 with extended range this year?

tony powell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Any news on the MG4 with the 77 kWh battery? My dealer said it would be available to order this summer. It seems that it is available in Australia.

So that is about 33590€ here in France (after the eco discount. Not bad. The TM3 is 35730€. More expensive and less range but with the Tesla network.

So that is about 33590€ here in France (after the eco discount. Not bad. The TM3 is 35730€. More expensive and less range but with the Tesla network.
It is in the same territory on price.

Bear in mind though this is apples and oranges, here are some other differences:
  • MG4 is a hatchback competing at the lower end of the market.
  • Tesla M3 is a larger saloon competing at the premium end of the market.
  • Tesla M3 offers far better performance and efficiency.
  • MG4 offers much better ride.
  • MG4 minimalist but fairly conventional with buttons and stalks and driver's screen plus infotainment.
  • Tesla radically different with most things touch screen only, single large screen.
  • MG4 CarPlay / Android Auto.
  • Tesla proprietary apps / ecosystem only.
  • MG4 updates at dealer, slow and problematic.
  • Tesla seamless over-the-air updates.
  • MG4 traditional dealer network (at least in UK), local garage to go to with personal service, but very mixed experiences.
  • Tesla service centres and rangers only, may have to travel, you are a number in the digital ecosystem, very mixed experiences.
  • M3 is 6+ years old, well debugged and about to be replaced with a facelifted version.
  • MG4 is less than a year old, still being debugged, first model year update just coming out.

It is only because there are so few EVs in this price bracket that people compare them, but this is changing fast.

They are both great cars.

Thanks for your well reasoned response. My wife’s is -what is wrong with our one year old MG ZS EV LR?
Nothing is wrong with it. It's even better than the Tesla 3 in range, capabilities and driving experience

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-16-07-42-44-281_com.saicmotor.iov.europe.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-16-07-42-44-281_com.saicmotor.iov.europe.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 68
It is in the same territory on price.

Bear in mind though this is apples and oranges, here are some other differences:
  • MG4 is a hatchback competing at the lower end of the market.
  • Tesla M3 is a larger saloon competing at the premium end of the market.
  • Tesla M3 offers far better performance and efficiency.
  • MG4 offers much better ride.
  • MG4 minimalist but fairly conventional with buttons and stalks and driver's screen plus infotainment.
  • Tesla radically different with most things touch screen only, single large screen.
  • MG4 CarPlay / Android Auto.
  • Tesla proprietary apps / ecosystem only.
  • MG4 updates at dealer, slow and problematic.
  • Tesla seamless over-the-air updates.
  • MG4 traditional dealer network (at least in UK), local garage to go to with personal service, but very mixed experiences.
  • Tesla service centres and rangers only, may have to travel, you are a number in the digital ecosystem, very
  • MG4 is less than a year old, still being debugged, first model year update just coming out.

It is only because there are so few EVs in this price bracket that people compare them, but this is changing fast.

They are both great cars.
With Tesla they still provide support for older models where with MG the original MG4 which is only nine months old, all support and updates have reportedly been dropped. Customer service is rubbish

Nothing is wrong with it. It's even better than the Tesla 3 in range, capabilities and driving experience
There is not much in the range between a standard model 3 ( newer one) and an ER MG4.

M3 is 317 miles

ER 4 is 325 miles

Model 3 also has an lfp battery which is arguably safer and more usable to full charge more frequently.

The current 4 handled better in the bends, both are rwd, but the M3 is bigger. No idea how the extra weight from the bigger battery will impact the mg4 yet.

As has been said more room and luggage space in the 3, frunk, rear heat seating, double glazing.

M3 gets you access to superchargers and Tesla rangers and ota updates.

The MG dealer network in the UK is a mixed bag at best and MG customer service continue to be consistently uninterested in the customer

Decision will probably come down to the size of the car and style.

So, in the end I have decided to purchase an extended range single motor TM3 for 40k€ (after the French govt subsidy) . My wife made the decision for me - she liked the simplicity of the design and the huge boot. She really hates the Model Y though. Unlike MG they gave me a delivery date of 3 weeks. MG Brest could not give me a price or a delivery date for the MG long rangs. Also I am not very happy that my MG ZS EV won't charge at a Tesla supercharger station, though an MG 4 will.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back