MG4 wobbly boot strip

Bam Bam

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
When opening and closing the boot I have noticed that the strip of plastic is quite wobbly. It sort of changes angle a bit when you pull it to open/close the boot. Seems to work no problem.

Is that wobbylness normal for the MG4? Or is it a sign that it hasn't been attached properly?

Last edited:
I suppose how wobbly is wobbly? On day one opening and closing the boot, my impression was "that's a bit naff". So yes, flex under pressure, loose or movement more than 3mm under pressure at the rear most lip, then that would be abnormal.

Having now removed one of these to fit a reversing camera, I'm not surprised they flex as the nine bolts and two clips that fix the structure to the car are laterally in a line with very little longitudinal spread making them like a hinge.

So I expect there's nothing untoward happening with yours.

I suppose how wobbly is wobbly? On day one opening and closing the boot, my impression was "that's a bit naff". So yes, flex under pressure, loose or movement more than 3mm under pressure at the rear most lip, then that would be abnormal.

Having now removed one of these to fit a reversing camera, I'm not surprised they flex as the nine bolts and two clips that fix the structure to the car are laterally in a line with very little longitudinal spread making them like a hinge.

So I expect there's nothing untoward happening with yours.
Thanks for the context - having all the fixings in a row seems to explain why it happens! That was my hope.

Mine also became loosened , it was a 40 minute fix at the dealers. Check the seal between the rear windscreen and the spoiler, this can open up and let water ingress with the up/down ,in/ out movement so its pretty important. Its an easy fix to do yourself if you have the confidence to remove the plastic boot trim.

Don't use the spoiler to open and close the boot. It's not a handle and will be expensive to repair/replace.

To open pop the boot and pull upwards using the rubber opener underneath the central MG badge .
To close bring down the boot lid using the indentation on the right hand side in the plastic boot liner until it's about 8 inches away from closing and let go. If it doesn't shut properly firmly push down on the bottom of the lid where it kicks out slightly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back