MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

So perhaps this problem is indeed smaller than first thought?

Only 15 signature and they have sold hundreds, thousands? of X Powers if my m8s chassis number is anything to go by.

Just in case you haven't seen my post, I drove my friends new to him 6 month old X Power with 3000 miles on the clock and still sporting the Chinese made Bridgestone's.

No vibes and quieter than mine was from new.
I couldn't quite believe it.
But how many know about the petition? However i agree it sounds hit and miss, who has the issue to a greater or lesser extent.

As mentioned previously, I spent an hour in Oct 23 registered X-Power demo with 6k on the clock - hardly any vibration (ie if I hadn’t read this forum, I wouldn’t have noticed anything).

On back of this ordered a new one - long story short it’s not far off undriveable between 65 and 70mph. In process of possible rejection.

My 24 plate xpower has the vibration, but who knows it could have been sat in a factory yard for several months. Petition signed.
Should be a Certificate of Conformity document in the glovebox - this will have a date of manufacture on it. Our 24 plate that we are in the process of rejecting / replacing was built in Sept 23 and had chronic vibrations

If you can't find the CoC, check the QC label underneath the parcel shelf ... the date on that may be fairly close to your car's build date.

Not sure if the final build date is overly relevant, if there is a slightly unbalanced part in the front drivetrain then that would have been made by batch process, and not all of them by the same 3rd party manufacturer if they have been farmed out. So that could explain why some are affected and others are not, and the dates could overlap. Obviously a balance check is not on the QC list, if indeed that is the problem.

Not sure if the final build date is overly relevant, if there is a slightly unbalanced part in the front drivetrain then that would have been made by batch process, and not all of them by the same 3rd party manufacturer if they have been farmed out. So that could explain why some are affected and others are not, and the dates could overlap. Obviously a balance check is not on the QC list, if indeed that is the problem.
I believe there is also more than one factory, so we can have problems depending on where it was made.

I owe Bricktop and a few others on here an apology - last night I checked my tyre pressures again. I thought they were around 40psi from when I filled them up a few weeks ago, but they were actually around 37psi. Could be the weather getting cooler? Human error? Who knows. Anyway I pumped them up to 40psi last night and this morning driving to work I was gliding through 100km/h with minimal vibes. Felt like an entirely different car.

Does anyone know if tyre pressure affects driveshaft(half shaft?) or pinion angle? Maybe higher pressure corrects the angle?

Some reading:

Pinion Angle: Witchcraft, Sorcery and The Source of Your Vibration.....? (as related to ICE cars)

I owe Bricktop and a few others on here an apology - last night I checked my tyre pressures again. I thought they were around 40psi from when I filled them up a few weeks ago, but they were actually around 37psi. Could be the weather getting cooler? Human error? Who knows. Anyway I pumped them up to 40psi last night and this morning driving to work I was gliding through 100km/h with minimal vibes. Felt like an entirely different car.

Does anyone know if tyre pressure affects driveshaft(half shaft?) or pinion angle? Maybe higher pressure corrects the angle?

Some reading:

Pinion Angle: Witchcraft, Sorcery and The Source of Your Vibration.....? (as related to ICE cars)

I had a chat with our AI overlords Meta via WhatsApp. So take it with a grain of salt, but here goes. If anyone knows anyone that could fact check it that would be great!

Screenshot_20240429_211123_WhatsApp.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom