MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

Strangely enough, the vibration seems to be getting less for me.

Over the last few weeks I've been driving double the distance I normally travel for work. I'm at about 4500kms now. So it could be flat spots on the tyres settling?

Also recently I did some hard braking to clear surface rust off the rotors after washing my car. Someone had their discs replaced by the dealer which fixed the issue, so maybe it was that?

The last recent change is I've cut way back on caffeine 🤪

I moved up to three jubilee clips today, after a few tests ive got most of the vibrations settled down reasonable for highway, not gone but way way better. Seems to all be on the left cv shaft. Ill do more fine tuning. Im worried ill need to go 4 ! Very very poor balancing from factory.

I moved up to three jubilee clips today, after a few tests ive got most of the vibrations settled down reasonable for highway, not gone but way way better. Seems to all be on the left cv shaft. Ill do more fine tuning. Im worried ill need to go 4 ! Very very poor balancing from factory.
Presume MG will be ordering in a lot of jubilee clips………

I've been driving my new XPower for 3 weeks. I think if it wasn't for these groups and forums I'd probably not recognise the problem or simply blame it on road surfaces. I certainly don't feel it through the steering wheel or pedals. More a low body vibration at the front from about 60mph to around 80mph, when it usually disappears. It doesn't seem to be there all the time, and at first I thought it only arose during acceleration, but I now realise that it can be there at constant speed too. There was an earlier comment that it wasn't there when regen was set at 3 but I can't confirm that. It doesn't even seem consistent with speed. Sometimes it starts at 60mph sometimes at 70mph. It's almost always gone by 90mph, and never there over 100mph.

I've been driving my new XPower for 3 weeks. I think if it wasn't for these groups and forums I'd probably not recognise the problem or simply blame it on road surfaces. I certainly don't feel it through the steering wheel or pedals. More a low body vibration at the front from about 60mph to around 80mph, when it usually disappears. It doesn't seem to be there all the time, and at first I thought it only arose during acceleration, but I now realise that it can be there at constant speed too. There was an earlier comment that it wasn't there when regen was set at 3 but I can't confirm that. It doesn't even seem consistent with speed. Sometimes it starts at 60mph sometimes at 70mph. It's almost always gone by 90mph, and never there over 100mph.

I find I dont notice the vibes when I slam into the limiter.
Just like today when I had to dispatch an M3 that thought he might use me as a bonnet ornament.
Good job they bottled it or else they would of eventually gone sailing by.......

Oh and a jolly good job I was at a Brooklands Circuit BRDC Open day!

Last edited:
I find I dont notice the vibes when I slam into the limiter.
Just like today when I had to dispatch an M3 that thought he might use me as a bonnet ornament.
Good job they bottled it or else they would of eventually gone sailing by.......

Oh and a jolly good job I was at a Brooklands Circuit BRDC Open day!
Was worried for you for a second there

Afternoon Chaps & Chappesses!

I was going to start a new thread but decided to just add my findings here......

So I drove my friends X Power today and I am staggered to report...............

NO VIBRATIONS!!!

I can't really get my head round it.

I can now understand why some folk say they have none......

It's because they don't.

I really thought it may just be down to perception, but I stand corrected.

His chassis number was 5000 after mine, so they must have fixed it.

(Also surprised how many X Powers they have built TBH)

Chinese Bridgestone Turanzas fitted and the only thing I noticed was that his BAR/PSI was higher.
About 4PSI higher.

I don't believe for a moment that that, will be the contributing factor here, but I'm going to pump mine up and see.

L8Rs.

20240330_214521.jpg

Last edited:

I was going to start a new thread but decided to just add my findings here......

NO VIBRATIONS!!!

It's because they don't.

His chassis number was 5000 ahead of mine, so they must have fixed it.

Chinese Bridgestone Turanzas fitted and the only thing I noticed was that his BAR/PSI was higher.
About 4PSI higher.

I don't believe for a moment that that, will be the contributing factor here, but I'm going to pump mine up and see.

L8Rs.

View attachment 25243
Hey Bricktop

What was the PSI? Just 4 higher than the sticker on the door?

Cheers

From Lampymic in a PM this morning....

Today at 8:24 AM
Morning Bricktop1967,
Have you noticed any vibration, although vibration might be the wrong word possibly a buzzing sensation when reaching 68+ on the motorway? I really noticed it on Thursday on a quick trip down the M55, wondering if you’ve noticed anything seeing as you’ve had yours longer.

Cheers

Morning Mike
Yes I have m8.
I've mentioned it a few times in various posts.
I find it at anything between 65-75 mph.

Dealer knows nothing (obviously!)

I am still in a bit of a quandary about what to do about it.
I mean it's not terrible, but should a brand new car have anything like this?
I've never had another car start Vibing at me before.
This is the weekend when I decide whether to reject it or not.

From Lampymic

Thank you, I’ll start a thread on it when I get back from the picket line, today is a very expensive day off!
It’s interesting that you’ve got it too, it’s clearly an issue that dealers should be aware of. I’m going to give them a call to ask them to chase it up with MG, I’ll tell them I’m not happy with the car doing it and we shall see what happens.

To be honest LKA isn’t causing me that many issues at all, the roads around me are so poor it can’t detect the lane it’s supposed to be keeping me in!

I feel a bit bad not waiting for Lampymic to start this thread, but he's busy on a very worthy cause.
Any abuse will be gladly received.🤣

There are only a few of us with X Powers at the moment but it already seems to be inherent in all of them

Interestingly, at 75mph it's almost non existent in my vehicle.
Now I of course realise, that I should not have to break the law in order to have a smoother, vibe free ride.....
"Yes officer, I do have to go a bit faster as my car has been hastily engineered to get it to market"
Hi Lads, sounds like Im near you (Thornton FY5).
I dont think mine does it ! Drove to Perrys Preston for R46 software update this morning, I asked them about it & find Perrys to be really decent, service are aware of the Australia recall but MG UK have done nothing & made no comment 🤷‍♂️. Anyway “IF” either of you want to try mine & let me try yours thats fine by me if it helps?

NO VIBRATIONS!!!

It's because they don't.

His chassis number was 5000 ahead of mine, so they must have fixed it.

About 4PSI higher.

L8Rs.

View attachment 25243
Its made me think it’s possibly the front motor mount. I haven’t had an issue & just posted the offer of comparing with any x powers local to FY5. Think about it, the front motor is central to the steering rack, so if the mounts or bushes are faulty & it moves about at speed? Im no engineer so im simply applying common sense 🤷‍♂️

Do you know when his was built / manufactured ?
Last November M8.

Hey Bricktop

What was the PSI? Just 4 higher than the sticker on the door?

Cheers

42 F
44 R

His is in KPA???

I didn't know you could change it!

Mines in BAR and I would rather have PSI.

As I said, I doubt it will make any difference, but I'm trying it anyway.

The front PSI is so close to OEM, I can't see it making any difference.

I've also told him what the correct pressures are.

Remember the document from MG France, that said all cars before mid Oct needed the damper?...which doesn't work🙄...quite a few people thought their car was latest build, Jan 24 delivery, then saw the build date was Sept 23 etc with the vibration

I think MG have delivered a mish mash of dates when it's comes to delivery, some later builds and some earlier builds with the issue...I think it stems from dealers over ordering at the time, having loads in stock and then registering them...Sept 23 builds registered in Jan 24 etc

Sorry Lads
Correction.
First Registered Nov 23 🤪

That's even more baffling then!

Trying to find out actual build date.........
I had a piece of paper which confirmed my build date, mine was June 23, collected Oct 23

So perhaps this problem is indeed smaller than first thought?

Only 15 signature and they have sold hundreds, thousands? of X Powers if my m8s chassis number is anything to go by.

Just in case you haven't seen my post, I drove my friends new to him 6 month old X Power with 3000 miles on the clock and still sporting the Chinese made Bridgestone's.

No vibes and quieter than mine was from new.
I couldn't quite believe it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom