MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

Quite possibly we might be able to solve this with a fairly cheap solution. If it doesn't indeed fix my car, I will then be looking for MG to pay me for this process.
Good luck with that. But a nice thought though. 🙂👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Then they put a device which senses vibrations in different parts of the vehicle, and then use that to identify where the vibration was coming from. Quite possibly we might be able to solve this with a fairly cheap solution.
There's an iOS app called Sismo which plots vibrations on a graph. Not exactly scientific because there are no units but you can zoom in and see quite a difference in vibration states. It's quite sensitive as it uses the iOS accelerometer. There's similar apps for Android too, just look up vibrometer. Theroretically you could tape a device to the centre console and measure it that way.

If it doesn't indeed fix my car, I will then be looking for MG to pay me for this process.
Sort of related, I found this the other day on MG Australia's website FAQ

Screenshot_20240221_225953_Brave.jpg

There's an iOS app called Sismo which plots vibrations on a graph. Not exactly scientific because there are no units but you can zoom in and see quite a difference in vibration states. It's quite sensitive as it uses the iOS accelerometer. There's similar apps for Android too, just look up vibrometer. Theroretically you could tape a device to the centre console and measure it that way.

Sort of related, I found this the other day on MG Australia's website FAQ

View attachment 24204
Thats very very interesting, Recall, mmm

Then there is this - i so love the characteristics of the hum, it was on my lists of must haves.

Not covered by warranty !

operational characteristics which are considered to be representative of the characteristics of the vehicle, including but not limited to:
  • noise, rattles or vibrations of low amplitude or frequency
  • slight oozing of oil or the like about packing and/or oil seals
  • gap between panels which are within limits

Then there is this - i so love the characteristics of the hum, it was on my lists of must haves.

operational characteristics which are considered to be representative of the characteristics of the vehicle, including but not limited to:
  • noise, rattles or vibrations of low amplitude or frequency
  • slight oozing of oil or the like about packing and/or oil seals
  • gap between panels which are within limits
Cheeky buggers!

I can't say we would find that anywhere in BMW or Audi.........
Or would we?🤔

Ok, have put some more thought into this, there are a few things with tyre size that could reduce the vibration issue. Wider low profile tyres cause issues with noise, ride quality. Looking at local laws, i can go to a 225/50r18, yes handling may be impacted, efficiency could be same or better. But noise and ride comfort can be improved, which may remove the hum of death. Get a good performance tyre and you may have better grip than these 235s.

Yes you can decent branded EV specific tyres that have polyurethane foam on the inner surface of the tyre to help absorb vibration and noise. Michelin do a Pilot Sport 4 one in the Xpower size. Not sure how they would compare to the OEM Turanza's but that's what I intend to get next 👍

Yes you can decent branded EV specific tyres that have polyurethane foam on the inner surface of the tyre to help absorb vibration and noise. Michelin do a Pilot Sport 4 one in the Xpower size. Not sure how they would compare to the OEM Turanza's but that's what I intend to get next 👍
On our way from Chicago to Santa Monica my wife and I drove a bit of road near Tijeras in New Mexico. There’s rumble strips on the blacktop that vibrate the tyres to the tune of America the beautiful. We had to drive it a few times 🤩

Michelin do a Pilot Sport 4 one in the Xpower size.
The Pilot Sport 4 and 4S are not EV specific, although Michelin say they are compatible with EVs, as they are still rated to take the weight. The Pilot Sport EV is the one you are talking about, but they don't make them in 18".

I'm interested in getting the Hankook ION Evo AS tyres, they've got some great reviews.

Morning Buddy.
Ere, don't forget to add your findings to this......

Thread 'MG4 X Power tyre change for the vibration issue' MG4 X Power tyre change for the vibration issue

I see what you mean about 'stickies'

This should be one!

Posts are a bugger to find when you have forgotten what they are called or (embarrassingly) who started them!🤣

Screenshot_20240223_090607_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
.......The Pilot Sport EV is the one you are talking about, but they don't make them in 18".

You're right, probably not EV specific but I was talking about the Pilot Sport 4 Acoustic which were designed for Tesla which do come in Xpower size fortunately. Direct link here :-

(thanks Bricktop !! - I knew I'd posted this before 😁)

Last edited:
Possibly, but for all the number of reported incidents with the XPOWER?
It could explain why other brands of EVs are experiencing the issue too, including some isolated reports of other MG4's (not X-Power)

If the foam fails in one tyre it's not out of the question that it will happen across a large batch.

Here's another thread with multiple users and one saying the adhesive is not strong enough - https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tire-wheel-vibration-tire-foam-inserts-do-come-loose.267746/

Last edited:
Oks popped some trophy wheels on - 6000km on them - no difference. The brake covers fit under there :) not sure they will when i pop the aero covers on. Next up i am going to try balance testing the drive shafts. 125kmh the vibration goes completely away. Id be interested to see if there is any wind reverb weirdness going on ? Xpower rides higher.

Attachments

• IMG_6600.jpeg
    IMG_6600.jpeg
    642 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6599.jpeg
    IMG_6599.jpeg
    552.7 KB · Views: 21
Well well well, i popped a hose clamp on one of the front drive shafts :) have seen people balance tail shafts using them. just random position in the middle , so now sitting on 65, it now resonates out and back in :) meaning u get around 30 seconds of no hum, and then it comes back and then goes again, before it just stayed solid hum.I have the clamps just tight enough tHat on full lock i can just pop my arm in adjust it. Over coming weeks ill just adjust bit by bit. Sitting on that speed with no hum for 30 seconds is bliss, smooth as. And no hum at lower speeds. Lets see how its goes

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom