MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

You also forgot AF ;)
I also forgot about AF. Mind you it is 25 years since I worked at an industrial fixings supplier having to identify the threads of the unknown nuts and bolts of the flat cap brigade who came in on a Saturday morning saying "ave you got two of these?"

Why not take another test drive but this time on motorway obviously.
I've just returned mine to the dealership so they can experience it. They've driven their XPower demonstrator and my new car, and confirmed they hear it straight away at 64-77mph in both cars.

It's like an audible/frequency vibration, similar to you'd get in a petrol car driving on a concrete motorway.

They've put in a Technical report to MG and are awaiting a response. Hopefully it's a resonance thing that can be resolved with a firmware update.

It's not a huge issue for me, as I don't do much motorway driving, but I can imagine being irritated if I did.

I've just returned mine to the dealership so they can experience it. They've driven their XPower demonstrator and my new car, and confirmed they hear it straight away at 64-77mph in both cars.

It's like an audible/frequency vibration, similar to you'd get in a petrol car driving on a concrete motorway.

They've put in a Technical report to MG and are awaiting a response. Hopefully it's a resonance thing that can be resolved with a firmware update.

It's not a huge issue for me, as I don't do much motorway driving, but I can imagine being irritated if I did.
As you have said, it's not a huge issue for me either, but I am looking forward to your updates m8 👍

Just as an aside, I have noticed that when I am on my friends private test track, powering up from a standstill through to 90-100mph I didn't notice any vibes at all.
I wonder if that because all the components are under load, negating any chance of any resonance.
Anyone else noticed this?

Yeah, I've noticed something similar - on mine it seems to come and go and i'm trying to work out under what conditions I feel it most. I drove 100 miles down and back up the M1 last Saturday and didn't even notice it until about 10 miles gone on the M1. I agree it does'nt seem to be there when accelerating but does when cruising at a constant speed - and slight uphill gradients seem to be worse in particular (lighter weight at front end perhaps ??). All in the 66-72 range for me.

Nothing audible in my car though - just the slight vibration through the steering wheel like an unbalanced wheel.

Yeah, I've noticed something similar - on mine it seems to come and go and i'm trying to work out under what conditions I feel it most. I drove 100 miles down and back up the M1 last Saturday and didn't even notice it until about 10 miles gone on the M1. I agree it does'nt seem to be there when accelerating but does when cruising at a constant speed - and slight uphill gradients seem to be worse in particular (lighter weight at front end perhaps ??). All in the 66-72 range for me.

Nothing audible in my car though - just the slight vibration through the steering wheel like an unbalanced wheel.
Agreed 👍
Sometimes I don't notice it either.
I know I said I was going to double check all the wheels and tyres for balance but haven't bothered up til now.
Especially when it was reported on the Chinese version that this had already been tried.

Last edited:

My guess would be either the way the front motor is mounted (driveshaft angles etc) or the type of bushings used in this case.

I don't think this will be a software update fix, it'll be a hardware resolution if it's acknowledged at all. Maybe in 2-3 years there might even be a company making a kit to fix it, if older pre-SAIC cars are anything to go by, I have a MG TF and the amount of things people make to fix all the issues is crazy. :)

My guess would be either the way the front motor is mounted (driveshaft angles etc) or the type of bushings used in this case.

I don't think this will be a software update fix, it'll be a hardware resolution if it's acknowledged at all. Maybe in 2-3 years there might even be a company making a kit to fix it, if older pre-SAIC cars are anything to go by, I have a MG TF and the amount of things people make to fix all the issues is crazy. :)
I loved my blue MGF, I know it was a soft top but it shaked terribly, there just didn't seem to be any strength in the car. The dealer eventually sent my car back to Longbridge, the courtesy MGF was lovely to drive.
When my MGF was returned, they had given me cream leather seats and a 6 disc CD changer in the boot😍.
But after 3 weeks the CD changer started stripping off the silver coating on my CDs🤣

Them were the days!

I loved my blue MGF, I know it was a soft top but it shaked terribly, there just didn't seem to be any strength in the car. The dealer eventually sent my car back to Longbridge, the courtesy MGF was lovely to drive.
When my MGF was returned, they had given me cream leather seats and a 6 disc CD changer in the boot😍.
But after 3 weeks the CD changer started stripping off the silver coating on my CDs🤣

Them were the days!
Weird, my TF is really solid at 21 years old and 46,000 miles. Has a much higher rigidity rating than an MX-5 at least on paper...

Got a 1960s Midget too for extra old-school feel.

I was contacted by an engineer from SAIC MG regarding this issue (probably I discussed this in China forum). Next week they will test my car and provide one of their xpowers for comparison. Hope the cause of the problem can be confirmed.
Keep us updated @Chikyu and fingers crossed you get a resolution

Anyone brave enough to pop a clip from one of the CV joints to check the grease levels ? After finding all 4 brake calipers completely devoid of grease on mine, nothing would surprise me.

Still think its the extreme forward angle of the driveshafts though, this means that the balls inside the joints effectively slide back and fore as the joint completes each rotation, a source of possible resonance IMO.
A redesigned shaft with careful balancing or damping might be the solution, hopefully nothing as drastic as a complete rethink of motor / reduction box location.

Of course I could be talking bollox and it's nothing to do with any of that :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom