MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

Had a rummage around the web to see what I could find. There seem to be similar discussions on Ford, Polestar, Lucid, Tesla and Kia sites all reporting some front motor noise under varying conditions. Does this mean the issue is common to all electric cars with front motors or are all the noises caused by the same/similar issues?

This website seemed to offer different technical reasons why any electric motor would make different noises

These are owners of other brands of car who are discussing similar issues...

Tesla

Kia

Lucid

Polestar

Ford

Had a rummage around the web to see what I could find. There seem to be similar discussions on Ford, Polestar, Lucid, Tesla and Kia sites all reporting some front motor noise under varying conditions. Does this mean the issue is common to all electric cars with front motors or are all the noises caused by the same/similar issues?

This website seemed to offer different technical reasons why any electric motor would make different noises

These are owners of other brands of car who are discussing similar issues...

Tesla

Kia

Lucid

Polestar

Ford

I’ve had Tesla Model 3 & Y Performance,

Never had any kind of vibration like the 4.

Sorry, was that meant to answer my question?
Angle of the driveshafts/ UV joints contribute to vibration, also phasing of the two UV joints relative to each other is the biggest contributor of vibration and premature failure.

The splines on a cardon shaft ( Eng name for a splined shaft with UV joints at each end) if not correctly in phase (IE one spline out of its correct place by one spline position will give vibration.
As will too acute angle of the UV joints.
This is Engineering 101, the rear drive shafts already have vibration dampening weights fitted but not the front, maybe ask MG why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here's my tuppence worth...
Steering damper?
"Steering issue causes sales halt"
Not really a steering issue is it?

My steering is not compromised in any way, shape or form, by the vibrations I can feel in the steering wheel.

"Australian owners will be offered the fix free of charge"
Very generous of MG Australia to think this way.

That they even had to say that makes me laugh.

"Oh and by the way, Dear Customer, we have delivered to you, a car with an inbuilt manufacturing defect.
Or read "a car not thoroughly developed"
Or " a car rushed into retail to meet our Goodwood demonstration deadline"
Whatever.

I don't buy it.

I can't believe that they didn't know about the issue the first time, the test driver took it out.

I mean, I noticed it the first time I went past about 65mph.

I'm also aware that all you other X Power owners noticed it the same way.

I'm looking forward to hear from an Actual X Power owner (and despite being the first to take ownership of one in the UK??, it won't be me!)
who has had, the "fix" to report back and tell us the issue is completely gone.

If I had an itchy chin emoji, I would definitely use it here! 🤣

Oh, and please don't think I'm down on the X Power.
I'm not.
I absolutely love it!

Last edited:
Interestingly mine was doing this on the way home from collecting it - with about 20 miles on it by the time I got to the motorway. Annoying, almost as annoying as the screen going black when using CarPlay and the blind spot camera coming on at low speed, ended up turning that feature off.

I wonder what other damage it might do if it's shaking stuff all the time.

Has anyone had a reply from MG yet ?

This made me laugh and angry at the same time in the article :-

Quote :

"MG told CarsGuide the issue was raised by overseas owners and that a fix was being carried out for Australian buyers.

"With help of all the rich insights from customers abroad, we've taken this opportunity to put the new steering damper in all XPowers as part of our Pre Delivery Inspection process both in Australia and NZ"

Seems that we are the overseas guinea pigs but Australians will benefit from it first (for free), not us 😒

Last edited:

Quote :

"MG told CarsGuide the issue was raised by overseas owners and that a fix was being carried out for Australian buyers.

"With help of all the rich insights from customers abroad, we've taken this opportunity to put the new steering damper in all XPowers as part of our Pre Delivery Inspection process both in Australia and NZ"

Seems that we are the overseas guinea pigs but Australians will benefit from it first (for free), not us 😒
Made me laugh as well.
I think I've said somewhere on here about being an unpaid (and unappreciated) MG test driver 🤣

Well here's my tuppence worth...
Steering damper?
"Steering issue causes sales halt"
Not really a steering issue is it?

My steering is not compromised in any way, shape or form, by the vibrations I can feel in the steering wheel.

"Australian owners will be offered the fix free of charge"
Very generous of MG Australia to think this way.

That they even had to say that makes me laugh.

"Oh and by the way, Dear Customer, we have delivered to you, a car with an inbuilt manufacturing defect.
Or read "a car not thoroughly developed"
Or " a car rushed into retail to meet our Goodwood demonstration deadline"
Whatever.

I don't buy it.

I can't believe that they didn't know about the issue the first time, the test driver took it out.

I mean, I noticed it the first time I went past about 65mph.

I'm also aware that all you other X Power owners noticed it the same way.

I'm looking forward to hear from an Actual X Power owner (and despite being the first to take ownership of one in the UK??, it won't be me!)
who has had, the "fix" to report back and tell us the issue is completely gone.

If I had an itchy chin emoji, I would definitely use it here! 🤣

Oh, and please don't think I'm down on the X Power.
I'm not.
I absolutely love it!
Chin on😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231120_164959_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231120_164959_Samsung Internet.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 36

Quote :

MG Customer Services replied today

Thank you for your email, please speak with the dealership, and then they can talk to our technical team for advice.

If there is a fault present, I am sure it can be resolved.

So SAIC plan to fit a 'steering damper' to resolve this issue ? That does sound like a typical MG response to the problem, cheapest band aid fix rather than addressing the root of the fault.
The vibration must be coming from rotating components, why are they pi$$ing around with the steering ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom