MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

Annoying, almost as annoying as the screen going black when using CarPlay and the blind spot camera coming on at low speed, ended up turning that feature off.

Mine did this too, noticed it straight after collecting, the vibration & this.

At first I thought it was vibration due to it autosteering / LKA but I disabled everything and still was there.

I turned off the camera when turning because for me, the screen is dead ahead which isn’t ideal (facing driver is what I’ve used to for years now) and that I think the screen, although a good size, is too small for this feature with such low quality cameras.

I'm looking forward to hear from an Actual X Power owner (and despite being the first to take ownership of one in the UK??, it won't be me!)
who has had, the "fix" to report back and tell us the issue is completely gone.

Aha, I can’t really trust my dealership to fix this so I’ll wait and see where others in the NW get theirs fixed from, if it becomes a thing MG do, and look to book in there after 😅.

If previous experience is anything to go by, I fully expect a letter from MGUK at some point, asking me to make an appointment at my nearest dealer for the "fix" to be installed.
3 - 6 months I reckon.
Bets please!

I hope you're right but my bet is, that as we live in the good old UK, only those that complain will get a fix. Unlike America and Australia where they seem to get everything fixed quickly as they have tougher motoring bodies that actually protect their consumers from these types of issues 😉😒.

MG Customer Services replied today

Thank you for your email, please speak with the dealership, and then they can talk to our technical team for advice.

If there is a fault present, I am sure it can be resolved.

Yep, I recieved a similar email - please contact your dealership !

I still don't think MG UK have twigged this is a global issue and one which MG Australia are already fixing.

I haven't noticed anything like this on mine - although I must confess, I seem to be doing either 60 or 80 - so I'll try and play around with different speeds and see if I notice anything. - thanks for raising awareness.

We all feels things differently @simonplayspiano, but the fact you play a piano would make you particularly sensitive I would have thought?

To me, it feels like a change of surface.
To others, it feels like they are driving over a cattle grid!

I haven't noticed anything like this on mine - although I must confess, I seem to be doing either 60 or 80 - so I'll try and play around with different speeds and see if I notice anything. - thanks for raising awareness.
66-72 is the "sweet" spot at a steady cruise on a a good surface (slightly uphill is even worse for me too) 👍......................(well maybe not so sweet!). For me it's like an unbalanced wheel.

I've had a reply from my dealer so shall wait and see.....they have also ordered me a new undertray.

I have sent the below info to MGUK Customer Services for them to look at and I await there response if its some thing we can also sort for you in the same visit. If a repair is indeed available or whether your car would already have this fitted.

As far as I can establish, MG UK are not aware of this issue, so as many people as possible who have an XPower with this issue, need to approach their dealer, demonstrate to them the problem and not accept "they all do that", nor "must be the tyres" and push them to do a thorough investigation and escalate with MG UK.

I don't believe there's any relationship between MG UK and MG Australia, so it will need individual owners to press their case. Talking directly to MG UK will most likely result in you being pointed back to your dealer.

As far as I can establish, MG UK are not aware of this issue, so as many people as possible who have an XPower with this issue, need to approach their dealer, demonstrate to them the problem and not accept "they all do that", nor "must be the tyres" and push them to do a thorough investigation and escalate with MG UK.

I don't believe there's any relationship between MG UK and MG Australia, so it will need individual owners to press their case. Talking directly to MG UK will most likely result in you being pointed back to your dealer.

Agreed, but a least MG Australia have admitted the steering vibration is a global problem and are implementing a fix which should give us UK owners at least one leg to stand on when we contact the dealer.

So anyone wanting a fix should get in touch with their dealer and I would also email MG UK :-

Customer Service <[email protected]>

BTW I've not heard anythying back from my dealer yet despite requesting a reply by return !

Last edited:
Just had all my wheels off and seen from the top and above, the angle of the Driveshaft doesn't look too extreme at all.

I mean IMO, I'd want it directly in line with the power unit (in an ideal world) and as you can see it is set back a couple of inches.

We will just have to wait and see.

20231121_121504.jpg

I've emailed MG UK several times and urged them to look at this as a global issue affecting all MG4 Xpower users. I've also supplied them with all the links and hard copies of MG Australia confirming this is a global issue and a fix (revised steering damper) is on the way for Australian owners.

There response for the third time was as follows :-

"Thank you, however, we would need to look at this on a case by case basis.

Your dealer will advise once diagnosis is complete"

So tsedge is completely right 👍

Just had all my wheels off and seen from the top and above, the angle of the Driveshaft doesn't look too extreme at all.

View attachment 21745

Is it not a little more than 2 inches ? Plotting an imaginary line from the centre of the driveshaft nut it looks pretty offset.
These cars have a noticeable positive caster though, so maybe its misleading with the strut on full droop.
I've never heard or felt any drone from driveshafts on any car when you likely set them to a different angle through overloading the boot or hitching a nose heavy trailer, they're supposedly capable of 45 degrees thrust angle in general .

Gawd knows. Such a shame SAIC tends to rush things to market though, they're spoiling what could be very good products just to hit certain price points I think.

Is it not a little more than 2 inches ? Plotting an imaginary line from the centre of the driveshaft nut it looks pretty offset.
These cars have a noticeable positive caster though, so maybe its misleading with the strut on full droop.
I've never heard or felt any drone from driveshafts on any car when you likely set them to a different angle through overloading the boot or hitching a nose heavy trailer, they're supposedly capable of 45 degrees thrust angle in general .

Gawd knows. Such a shame SAIC tends to rush things to market though, they're spoiling what could be very good products just to hit certain price points I think.

Yeah maybe, really hard to be accurate as you stated with droop etc.

At least it has been acknowledged by MG and they are doing something about it.

Let's see what they come up with, and if an X Power owner in Oz, who has had the fix, would kindly come on here and tell us all how successful it has been???

At least it has been acknowledged by MG and they are doing something about it.

I'm afraid It's not been officially acknowledged by MG UK though, only MG Australia. 😒... and MG UK aren't doing anything about it at the moment apart from referring you to your dealer for diagnosis.

May I implore everyone to phone their dealer, and register this as a fault. Do quote the aussie article, reminding them that it is a known issue that requires a resolution.
The more of us that do that, the easier it is for MG uk to press the point.

May I implore everyone to phone their dealer, and register this as a fault. Do quote the aussie article, reminding them that it is a known issue that requires a resolution.
The more of us that do that, the easier it is for MG uk to press the point.
Doesn't really matter until they can actually order the AUS part.

I'd imagine it won't be long.

I've just had the following reply from my dealer....

Reference the humming noise – customer services have replied to my e-mail.

They are aware of this issue and are working on a fix. They have just advised for us to keep an eye on our technical bulletin system for a fix coming in ‘the next few months’

It may not be something we can sort imminently for you but hopefully a resolution will be available in the new year.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom