MG4 X-Power waiting area

For those that have actually seen the MG4 Xpower in the flesh, is the boot really 20% smaller than the std MG4 as some reports suggest (289L v 363L?). I have here two boot pictures from online reviews and I can’t see any difference: View attachment 19334
No, it's the same size. The 289L figure is from the "VDA Block" test, which is the largest Cuboid which will fit, rather than using all of the space above the wheel wells etc:
1690811834738.png

No, it's the same size. The 289L figure is from the "VDA Block" test, which is the largest Cuboid which will fit, rather than using all of the space above the wheel wells etc:
View attachment 19336

I moved from a Golf to the MG4 and my impression when putting my bike in the car was that the MG4's load bed (seats folded) is longer than the Golf's even if the width isn't much different. There was no fiddling about to get the back wheel inside the tailgate, it just went in and there was still space clear behind the seats, which were in their normal position.

View attachment 19336
Thanks that is good to know, I thought it looked the same in the photos, that confirms it. I will have to go back and send a correction to the review with the 289L, which I think might have been Autocar, their MG4XP review seemed off their usual standards in several areas. One of the new junior boys was gievn the job I think.

I remember my Golf's boot being taller but not as deep as the MG4's and both cars have a good shaped load area when the seats are down.

I wasn't paying much attention to the height, to be honest. I liked the way the Golf's seats folded flatter than the SE's do. In fact I remember that the same seat folding was one of the reasons I passed up on a Metro back in 1985. I can see that the Trophy's raised boot floor could be handy in certain situations, but on the other hand I suspect one might be able to get one for an SE, or even make one out of plywood or something.

The bike certainly went in very easily.

Decent video that one, never watched it before. Straight line speed is impressive.

The range figures were a little bit off 3.6 miles per kw would give you a real world range of 221 miles, still not to bad to be fair

And Bridgestone turanzas are a premium touring summer tyre not a high performance

Decent video that one, never watched it before. Straight line speed is impressive.

The range figures were a little bit off 3.6 miles per kw would give you a real world range of 221 miles, still not to bad to be fair

And Bridgestone turanzas are a premium touring summer tyre not a high performance
Potenza is their performance range, I think.

We had 3.7m/kWh later in the road test, as mentioned in the video, and actually on the way back from the track we had 4.1m/kWh (Eco mode)

I must have a hell of a right foot then, because I don't see these numbers over any journey that I can remember, on ordinary roads, in my SE SR. Unless it's the drag caused by the sagging rear undertray.

Yep, that's the one. Looks like we just parked the Red Trophy (in actual fact, Jason had his foot through the carpet, in Sport mode!)
Hi Miles - When I watched your video for the first time, it included two drag matches with the BMW M2.
The first pull was both cars on the start line.
The Green machine left it for dead.
Then on the second pull, you gave the BM a decent head start and the X power still beat it to the line !.
But when I now play the video, the second pull is not there ?.
Am I loosing the plot or has it been edited out ?.
I have watched it through a couple of times and it’s not there ????.
I actually thought it was the most impressive part of the video 👍.
Great idea to compare it with the Trophy first then the BMW M2.
The green machine packs some poke, that’s for sure 👌.
Thanks Miles 👍.

I must have a hell of a right foot then, because I don't see these numbers over any journey that I can remember, on ordinary roads, in my SE SR. Unless it's the drag caused by the sagging rear undertray.
It all depends on the conditions and the driving style / speed / gradient / winds etc... it is easy to get high figures on a single journey, they don't prove anything, although I don't doubt Miles.

Clearly the range of the XP will be somewhat less than than the LR SE/Trophy, how much less will depend more on the owner's use than anything else.

Hi Miles - When I watched your video for the first time, it included two drag matches with the BMW M2.
The first pull was both cars on the start line.
The Green machine left it for dead.
Then on the second pull, you gave the BM a decent head start and the X power still beat it to the line !.
But when I now play the video, the second pull is not there ?.
Am I loosing the plot or has it been edited out ?.
I have watched it through a couple of times and it’s not there ????.
I actually thought it was the most impressive part of the video 👍.
Great idea to compare it with the Trophy first then the BMW M2.
The green machine packs some poke, that’s for sure 👌.
Thanks Miles 👍.
First run against the M2 was at 14:54
Second run is at 15:08 (he used his Launch Control on this one, and I missed the green light)

It all depends on the conditions and the driving style / speed / gradient / winds etc... it is easy to get high figures on a single journey, they don't prove anything, although I don't doubt Miles.

Clearly the range of the XP will be somewhat less than than the LR SE/Trophy, how much less will depend more on the owner's use than anything else.

I live about 800 feet up. I tend to see quite nice figures on the outward journey, which then get entirely wiped out on the return!

Potenza is their performance range, I think.
Had then on my Golf GTE and absolutely hated them !.
I found the tyre compound very hard, which was okay for wear but the traction from the front wheels from a standing start was rubbish and the road noise for a part electric car was terrible !.
I rotated them every 5,000 miles in order to replace them all at the same time.
Went for Good Years at the time of replacement, the difference was like night and day.
Based on this, I said I would never buy Bridgestone’s again.

Where did the second run on the video go Miles ?.
I can’t find it ?????.
We don't introduce the second run with the M2. It just follows straight on after the first. Cars were level both times.

We did 3 runs against the Trophy:
  • lined up
  • trophy with 2 car length headstart
  • trophy with half-track headstart.

Out of interest, let’s do a roll call. Who has placed an order for the Xpower?
Mine is in, waiting on an Orange one. I’m betting Green ones will land first (or demonstrators will be sold) so they’ll be in peoples hands first but hopefully not too long.
To add your name to the list copy the latest one and add your details.

Name, colour, order date
Brettus Orange 22/06

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom