MG4 X-Power waiting area

We don't introduce the second run with the M2. It just follows straight on after the first. Cars were level both times.

We did 3 runs against the Trophy:
  • lined up
  • trophy with 2 car length headstart
  • trophy with half-track headstart.
Thanks Miles very impressive performance TBH.
It’s not really the type of car you would buy to have some serious fun with, then start complaining that the EV efficiency is not the best in class ?.
Performance comes at a price either with a fossil or an EV.
If you bought any high performance ICE with that much pulling power, you will not be expecting to get 50 MPG in return.
Economy and performance rarely go hand in hand in any fossil car.
You never hear a Ferrari driver complaining about his MPG 🤣.

Thanks Miles very impressive performance TBH.
It’s not really the type of car you would buy to have some serious fun with, then start complaining that the EV efficiency is not the best in class ?.
Performance comes at a price either with a fossil or an EV.
If you bought any high performance ICE with that much pulling power, you will not be expecting to get 50 MPG in return.
Economy and performance rarely go hand in hand in any fossil car.
You never hear a Ferrari driver complaining about his MPG 🤣.
No, but having said that, I think the 3.6-4.1m/kWh I achieved on the A59/M61/M6 over 100 miles does show that at least it's not ruinous in day to day driving. I think that in Eco mode, it uses 2WD most of the time.

Out of interest, let’s do a roll call. Who has placed an order for the Xpower?
Mine is in, waiting on an Orange one. I’m betting Green ones will land first (or demonstrators will be sold) so they’ll be in peoples hands first but hopefully not too long.
To add your name to the list copy the latest one and add your details.

Name, colour, order date
Brettus Orange 22/06
Currently X power is only available in the Matt green colour I believe ?.

IMG_0441.jpeg

View attachment 19342
You’re reading it backwards, you can only get the green paint on an xpower model but you can get any paint colour on an xpower. There’s a video of a blue one further up I believe.

View attachment 19342
No, the Racing Green is exclusive to X-Power, but you can also order the X-Power in Arctic White, Holborn Blue, Black Pearl, Camden Grey, Volcano Orange, or Dynamic Red.

Had then on my Golf GTE and absolutely hated them !.
I found the tyre compound very hard, which was okay for wear but the traction from the front wheels from a standing start was rubbish and the road noise for a part electric car was terrible !.
I rotated them every 5,000 miles in order to replace them all at the same time.
Went for Good Years at the time of replacement, the difference was like night and day.
Based on this, I said I would never buy Bridgestone’s again.
Got them on my bmw s2 gc as well, blooming awful and tramline like mad. Majority of 2019- series 1 & 2 owners have got rid of them..

No, but having said that, I think the 3.6-4.1m/kWh I achieved on the A59/M61/M6 over 100 miles does show that at least it's not ruinous in day to day driving. I think that in Eco mode, it uses 2WD most of the time.
I agree that your test showed that it is a practical hot hatch that doesn't sacrifice range for pure performance. 200+ miles is plenty for the audience and many a performance ICE petrol car would struggle to do much more than 200 miles.

This review may interest you MG4XP versus BMW M2.

Unfortunately I haven't got an M2, that is a completely different beast, not that I'm interested in drag races anyway, my car is below..

Attachments

• 20210529_111115_copy_3371x1342.jpg
    20210529_111115_copy_3371x1342.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 72
I agree that your test showed that it is a practical hot hatch that doesn't sacrifice range for pure performance. 200+ miles is plenty for the audience and many a performance ICE petrol car would struggle to do much more than 200 miles.
A tad of a unfair comparison as I easily get 48mpg from my M235i without trying on A roads and that equates to around over 400 miles to a tankfull. I drive from the south coast to the most easterly point in the uk and back without filling up and I don't hang around either.
0-62 is 4.8 secs and has a top speed of 155mph. Try cruising at 100mph in a EV and see how long the battery lasts..

A tad of a unfair comparison as I easily get 48mpg from my M235i without trying on A roads and that equates to around over 400 miles to a tankfull. I drive from the south coast to the most easterly point in the uk and back without filling up and I don't hang around either.
0-62 is 4.8 secs and has a top speed of 155mph. Try doing that in a EV and see how long the battery lasts..
I said nothing about BMWs, nor that all petrol performance cars were like that. But there have definitely been a bunch of cars that went you drove them hard, struggled to give the range and had small tanks.

Back in the day, getting (a lot less in some cases) less than 20mpg was not considered a dealbreaker.

I said nothing about BMWs, nor that all petrol performance cars were like that. But there have definitely been a bunch of cars that went you drove them hard, struggled to give the range and had small tanks.

Back in the day, getting (a lot less in some cases) less than 20mpg was not considered a dealbreaker.
Well things have moved on since 'back in the day' and EV's probably didn't exist then anyway.
I'm trying to convince myself, as we're moving house soon and long drives are going to be history, that a EV is the way to go but I'm finding the arguments for them rather unconvincing..

Well things have moved on since 'back in the day' and EV's probably didn't exist then anyway.
I'm trying to convince myself, as we're moving house soon and long drives are going to be history, that a EV is the way to go but I'm finding the arguments for them rather unconvincing..
Granted. It is true that modern ICE cars have a longer range than they used to.

What are your EV concerns? If you list your questions, people here can tell you their experiences.

If you're not convinced then maybe an EV isn't for you yet. But if you will have the possibility of home charging at your new house and you will seldom (or never) drive further than the range of the car in a day, then I'd say it's a no-brainer unless there is some other confounder I'm not aware of.

What are your reservations?

If you're not convinced then maybe an EV isn't for you yet. But if you will have the possibility of home charging at your new house and you will seldom (or never) drive further than the range of the car in a day, then I'd say it's a no-brainer unless there is some other confounder I'm not aware of.

What are your reservations?
I've driven ICE cars, and motorcycles, of various incarnations for over 50 years and what I would miss is a very long list, it was bad enough going from a manual gearbox to an automatic, however losing the sound - not so sure.
I have no qualms about the range EV's have, although with one or two journeys I'll be making from near Bourne to Leeds I'll probably have to tone down my speed, alot.

I paid £37,800 for my BMW and really the there are only a small number of EV's that are at least interesting as a substitute, both to look at and to drive, but they all are currently far more expensive. Talking Audi's, Mercedes, BMW's and Tesla's here.

So if I just take performance and price it leads me to the xpower but a pretty car it isn't to me. I need a four door, as I take my granddaughter in it, I need a boot that is around 400 litres, although I could lower one of the rear seats.

I'll reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh, and driven it of course, which I plan to do once we've moved. I've also looked at a Megane EV as well, and, although it hasn't quite the performance, it has the other qualities I'm after.

I won't make any decision lightly, I never do, without fully researching and try to keep an open mind. So appreciate input from anyone who can help me...

Last edited:
I've also driven ICE cars and motorcycles for over 50 years (well, I gave up the bike some time ago so not 50 years in its case). My previous car was an automatic - a DSG - and I chose to change because I liked the test drive in it. The quietness of EVs is one of their big selling points for me. I can actually hear the music in the car!

I'm not toning down my speed. Yes, perhaps I could eliminate one charging stop on a long journey if I drove like Miss Daisy, but that's not me. I'd rather drive as usual and make an extra stop. If you go for a car with a decent range on it and a fast charging speed, it shouldn't put much of a crimp in your style.

A lot depends on whether you're in a hurry on long journeys. I used to do 430 miles from West Sussex to central Scotland in an evening, with one 5-minute stop for petrol. No way is that possible in an EV. But that's no longer a requirement I have, and the EV suits my present life-style where I can take all day to do the journey (I have the standard range battery with the slower charging speed).

Maybe the right EV for you hasn't come on the market yet, but I would bet it probably isn't that far away. Perhaps you need to keep looking and not make a definite decision not to get an EV at this stage of the game.

I've also driven ICE cars and motorcycles for over 50 years (well, I gave up the bike some time ago so not 50 years in its case). My previous car was an automatic - a DSG - and I chose to change because I liked the test drive in it. The quietness of EVs is one of their big selling points for me. I can actually hear the music in the car!

I'm not toning down my speed. Yes, perhaps I could eliminate one charging stop on a long journey if I drove like Miss Daisy, but that's not me. I'd rather drive as usual and make an extra stop. If you go for a car with a decent range on it and a fast charging speed, it shouldn't put much of a crimp in your style.

A lot depends on whether you're in a hurry on long journeys. I used to do 430 miles from West Sussex to central Scotland in an evening, with one 5-minute stop for petrol. No way is that possible in an EV. But that's no longer a requirement I have, and the EV suits my present life-style where I can take all day to do the journey (I have the standard range battery with the slower charging speed).

Maybe the right EV for you hasn't come on the market yet, but I would bet it probably isn't that far away. Perhaps you need to keep looking and not make a definite decision not to get an EV at this stage of the game.
Thanks for your reply, yes maybe you're right in there isn't yet an EV that's right for me, they should though become cheaper with battery and motor technology improving one hopes. There is also hydrogen and e-fuels to look at. As for manuals versus automatics, we still have a 1.0l fiesta and I can still have the chance to make tunes with that engine.

The BMW was a early retirement present to myself but now I'm not working I've found it really is a bit of a expensive self indulgence so I may well just sell it, as there is equity in the figures of £7000, and then watch the car markets until something of interest turns up, fingers crossed. I can afford the BMW so no rush as it's not like I can't afford it.
There is a smaller Tesla, and many other EV's, coming soon so I might just wait a year..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom