MG4 X-Power waiting area

Thanks for the explanation, but the issue is “from” 70mph, not just “at” 70mph. It doesn’t go away after that speed. So it’s not just a narrow frequency band that seems to be the problem.
I don’t think it’s a big issue, but just make sure folks to look out for it. I will prob find it annoying on long journeys with the steering buzzing constantly.
The xpower is a replacement for my ice car that I use for work so I do a fair bit of motorway driving.

The Wakefield car, they called me the next day and said the wheel balance was fine but admitted the vibration was still there.

Like you say look out for it and feedback as I'd like to see if this is every one. 3 out of 3 have the vibration so far.

I don't think the theory about the two motors being out of sync stacks up. All the other dual motor EVs I have been in only use a single motor when cruising. The second motor only kicking in under hard acceleration. It's more energy efficient to do it that way.

I don't think the theory about the two motors being out of sync stacks up. All the other dual motor EVs I have been in only use a single motor when cruising. The second motor only kicking in under hard acceleration. It's more energy efficient to do it that way.
Answers on a post card to what it is. Like I say 3 out of 3 have it. And a guy has mentioned his Mulan 4wd in China has (in my post above). I'm going for a drive in the Leeds xpower Saturday to see if there demo vibrates.

Wonder if Miles can comment on his demo xpower.

Hi, im new to the forum but want a Xpower but i've driven 2 now (Doncaster and Wakefield) and both have a slight wheel wobble at 70mph. The dealers cant explain it and its really putting me off.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Didn't notice it on our test drive in Leeds earlier this week, but in the light of what you've said we are going out again today to check.

I initially thought it was MG pilot so turned it off during the drive, it was still buzzing.
Definitely feels different to wheel balance, a finer higher frequency vibration - feels almost like knobbly tire treads at high speed if you catch my drift….lol

Steering EV motor axle buzz maybe?

Either way, not huge concern.

Flat spots on the tyres, like the normal MG4s suffer from.
No way of proving this without getting them to fit brand new tyres.

Just been out for a whizz up the M1 in the Leeds XPower, to try out the steering wheel tremor.... like you say, it's there 70mph+, but it's negligible - both with MG Pilot on and off. It just feels like the vibration you get from the road surface, but doesn't change when you go from tarmac to concrete. You can't see the vibration, only feel it.

I didn't find it particularly noticeable until I was looking for it (neither did my husband), but I think it must also depend on what kind of car you are used to driving. Coming from two petrol-powered, low-suspension cars, we're used to having our bums on the tarmac and feeling every vibration in the road.

I was anxious reading the posts about the potential problem, but it hasn't deterred me from buying the car - order already placed. But then I don't do lots of motorway driving. I haven't had the opportunity yet to drive the ER for comparison purposes.

Steering vibration at 70mph in a car that can get there in a few seconds is going to drive any owner nuts!
Can’t believe some are saying they’re going ahead anyway….
It just should not happen

Come on people. Seriously. Stop letting MG off with stuff! 😢

Just been out for a whizz up the M1 in the Leeds XPower, to try out the steering wheel tremor.... like you say, it's there 70mph+, but it's negligible - both with MG Pilot on and off. It just feels like the vibration you get from the road surface, but doesn't change when you go from tarmac to concrete. You can't see the vibration, only feel it.

I didn't find it particularly noticeable until I was looking for it (neither did my husband), but I think it must also depend on what kind of car you are used to driving. Coming from two petrol-powered, low-suspension cars, we're used to having our bums on the tarmac and feeling every vibration in the road.

I was anxious reading the posts about the potential problem, but it hasn't deterred me from buying the car - order already placed. But then I don't do lots of motorway driving. I haven't had the opportunity yet to drive the ER for comparison purposes.
Thanks for that. The trophy I drove was silk smooth comparedto the xpower. I've never known any car have a constant vibration like that....even on run flat bmws or Type r bone shaker.

But you felt it and that's interesting. I'm even more unsure what to do. Again thanks .

Steering vibration at 70mph in a car that can get there in a few seconds is going to drive any owner nuts!
Can’t believe some are saying they’re going ahead anyway….
It just should not happen

Come on people. Seriously. Stop letting MG off with stuff! 😢
Especially when dealers say they have noticed it also and don't know what's causing the issue.

Would not fill me with confidence!

Funny to mention those vibrations. I was test driving the MG4 LR (not x-power) and felt strange vibrations on the motorway at about 125 km/h (78 MPH), but not below 110 km/h (68 MPH). Could it be the same thing? Probably not.

Wonder if it’s suspension / steering linkage mounting related with thicker bushes or have they used poly?

My MG5 was in for its first service. Chatted to sales team after picking car up, asked "Have you seen the X Power?" Ans = "We have one at the back". Looks nice. I might have to pop back for a test drive, though there may be a queue.
MG4 X Power.jpg

Bjorn Nyland (Teslabjorn on YouTube) found that the MG4 with NMC battery would go for another 15 miles (might have been more) once the indicated state of charge reached 0%. That's usually enough to get you to a charge point.

We tried it on the hard shoulder it was beeping and warning us right down to 1% then 0% but it just kept on driving. We drove all the way to the next charge point and I suspect could have driven further

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom